Reload this Page >

Melbourne V's Adelaide

Melbourne V's Adelaide

Old Jul 9th 2005, 12:39 am
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough
Default Melbourne V's Adelaide

Hi All

Some advice needed, having been in Melbourne last year and experienced a winter there I have a fairly good idea what it has to offer. Now planning to move to Aus on a skilled visa and thinking about moving to Adelaide or Melbourne.
Can anyone give a balanced view of both cities giving opinions on employment prospects, housing cost, what's on offer etc. I'm in a real quandry as to where to apply to move to! Any help offered much appreciated.

Old Jul 9th 2005, 12:45 am
Badge

Default Re: Melbourne V's Adelaide

I think that Adelaide gets very wet in the winter. It probably achieves more sun than Melbourne though.

Badge

Old Jul 9th 2005, 1:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Badge
I think that Adelaide gets very wet in the winter. It probably achieves more sun than Melbourne though.

Badge

Thought South Australia was the driest state? Was plenty of rain in Melbourne last winter I can tell you, it was like being in Manchester (like being in a shower, but dressed) for 3 days one of the weeks I was there! :scared:
Old Jul 9th 2005, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

Hello,
I can't help with your specific questions but I think some information about what you do for a living and what your interests are and your family situation would probably help someone give you a better answer.
Lou
Old Jul 9th 2005, 5:54 am
Red pill or Blue Pill?

GOBLIN will become famous soon enoughGOBLIN will become famous soon enough

Bradley

From what I know real estate and living costs are comparatively lower in Adelaide. But I think Melbourne is more cosmopolitan and you would have more jobs there as compared to Adelaide.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:25 am
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future

Have you checked out Adelaide/Brits ?

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...?act=SF&s=&f=1
Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:35 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent a year in Adelaide a few years ago and generally it is a few degrees warmer than Melbourne all year round.

July and August were on a par with what I'm experiencing here in Melbourne now, cold nights, some wet windy cool days punctuated by days when it is 15-16 degrees and glorious sunshine.

The job market in Adelaide is generally more limited due to the size difference but obviously there will be occupations when Adelaide probably offers more opportunities.

I looked at Adelaide as I was interviewed for a job down there and a lot of the 'decent' houses in 'good' areas weren't a lot different to prices you can buy for in Melbourne.

In several areas I looked brand new house/land packages were up to $50k more in Adelaide compared with a similar area in Melbourne.

It's swings and roundabouts, I love Adelaide and have a lot of friends there but after six months in Melbourne and getting used to what it has to offer I am very happy here now and wouldn't want to move.

Adelaide is much smaller and quieter, benefits of that are less congestion, shorter travel times, more relaxed pace of life. You have the Barossa on your doorstep, loads of nice coastline, Kangaroo Island, Victor Harbour etc.

Melbourne is a city by European definitions, complete with traffic congestion (nothing like what I was used to in the UK though) and the more rapid hustle and bustle in the CBD. It has more places to eat out and sit and enjoy a coffee, there are the Yarra Valley wineries, the Dandenongs, Philip Island, the Great Ocean Road, the Victorian ski resorts etc.

I think in your situation you'd be best making a decision based on job opportunities, look at sites like www.careerone.com.au www.seek.com.au and www.mycareer.com.au see what is available and research what companies/employers in your field there are.

Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:26 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shazrazmataz
Have you checked out Adelaide/Brits ?

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...?act=SF&s=&f=1

....and also

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx

D D
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradley7
Hi All

Some advice needed, having been in Melbourne last year and experienced a winter there I have a fairly good idea what it has to offer. Now planning to move to Aus on a skilled visa and thinking about moving to Adelaide or Melbourne.
Can anyone give a balanced view of both cities giving opinions on employment prospects, housing cost, what's on offer etc. I'm in a real quandry as to where to apply to move to! Any help offered much appreciated.

In a "nut shell" you go to Melbourne to work , and you go to Adelaide to live ....your call .......... .... mm
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:54 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
In a "nut shell" you go to Melbourne to work , and you go to Adelaide to live ....your call .......... .... mm
OR... You go to Melbourne to LIVE you go to Adelaide to DIE
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:55 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
You go girl!!!!

D D
Old Jul 9th 2005, 2:00 pm
Banned

Thanks for all the replies. Not sure how much they helped still very unsure as to where to go. My wife is a teacher so can find work anywhere. I currently work in the care sector, but I've done loads of other jobs as well and I don't really care what I do in Aus I just want to be able to pay the bills and spend as much time on the beach as possible
Old Jul 9th 2005, 6:45 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Just watch it girl, next time i,m over at Hallam i, ll come down their and pull those footy shorts over your head. "atomic wedgie"........... mm
Old Jul 10th 2005, 11:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Just watch it girl, next time i,m over at Hallam i, ll come down their and pull those footy shorts over your head. "atomic wedgie"........... mm
How comes Hallam

PS i feel somewhat disturbed now
Old Jul 11th 2005, 12:57 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been to Adelaide, I've heard it's very nice. I've also heard most of Adelaide's talented and career minded people leave, often to Melbourne, to further their careers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.