Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne v Perth

Melbourne v Perth

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Dajoma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne v Perth

Melbourne by far, obviously the further out from the CBD the lower the rents. Head East along the coast, Cheltenham, Seaford areas are probably most affordable without getting to far out. Rail and road links are also good. The new Eastlink and Peninsula freeways both not far away.
Also work prospects better in Melbourne.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leapip
Thanks people.. I struggle to get why some members need to be so sarcastic in their comments... But thanks for the advice.. Obviously I'm just trying to o my bit research on areas.. And yes the beach is at the top of my list after the most important things... We are a family that loves the beach.. Why not???
Answer to that question as someone thats been here for 3 decades is... To live near the beach in an environment I would be comfortable with, Lots of amenities and things to do Aka cosmopolitan vibe would cost me at least 800 bucks per week in Melbourne.

So I'd prefer the amenities and vibe only and pay circa 500 bucks (average decent 3 bed'er) per week 8ks from the CBD in Melbourne. There again thats because I travel to the City a hell of a lot by public transport, (at least once a week... most of my family daily,) which I prefer, as I cant stand the hassle of driving in a busy enviornment and I'm damned if I want to be more than 30 mins door to door away by public transport away.

Comes down to want you want from life and whats most important to you I guess.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 26th 2013 at 12:54 am.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The northern bay tops out about 23/24C in high summer and it doesn't stay there for long. It certainly isn't 23C in March, April and beyond.

Here's Black Rock 2 weekends ago...water temp about 21C/22C I think.

http://i50.tinypic.com/xmk6fc.jpg
and they say Melbourne is like the UK...etc...I look at that picture and it could be anywhere but the UK!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
and they say Melbourne is like the UK...etc...I look at that picture and it could be anywhere but the UK!
...and there are so many other beaches like Black Rock here - its not unique! The white sands of Aspendale/Edithvale are stunning, and Safety Beach could be mistaken for a tropical island, just by example.

BB
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Our budget for rent is $300 - $ 400 per week..... I've read that the beaches aren't too nice in Melbourne...
Your budget and availability of work is more your priority for city or area selection.

Stark comments about beaches to make you feel better distract from fact.

If your wanting to live right on a beach in above price bracket you will do so at risk of distance to be travelled to work. With risk of lower work options.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

leapip is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Your budget and availability of work is more your priority for city or area selection.

Stark comments about beaches to make you feel better distract from fact.

If your wanting to live right on a beach in above price bracket you will do so at risk of distance to be travelled to work. With risk of lower work options.

I don't actually want to live right on the beach or have beach views.. I want to live in subs.. I just mean that the beach is important to us but we don't mind driving distance at all...
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Pretty unfair, The UK has some lovely beaches and some stunning coastlines. That photo doesn't look any better than Bournemouth on a sunny weekday.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
That photo doesn't look any better than Bournemouth on a sunny weekday.
It was touched up and over saturated with Snapseed too!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

leapip is an unknown quantity at this point

We do have some lovely beaches... But with the crap weather too.... Not much fun walking along the beach in scarlf and gloves...
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't actually want to live right on the beach or have beach views.. I want to live in subs.. I just mean that the beach is important to us but we don't mind driving distance at all...
Alice Springs is cheap

You can drive to any of the beaches then
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

guys you have forgotten to mention that after big rains, there is a lot of sewage that gets dumped in the Port Phillip Bay too. Anywhere from Black Rock appears to be great but this Summer Portsea has had it's sewage dumping issues too. Even if you live inland where rental maybe cheaper, most Melbourne beaches along Port Phillip Bay are about a 30 min drive away. For $300 a week you won't getting much in terms of a hse esp within 10 km of the city & the rents in Seaford for 3 bed houses are now above $300 per week. Good luck in whatever you choose. If you have kids, you may want to research schools first before deciding where to live because a lot of the good schools are zoned here in Melbourne.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
guys you have forgotten to mention that after big rains, there is a lot of sewage that gets dumped in the Port Phillip Bay too. Anywhere from Black Rock appears to be great but this Summer Portsea has had it's sewage dumping issues too.
It's a sensitive topic to some on here, but anyone that has lived near, or is used to real ocean facing beaches, generally doesn't like the giant pond that is Port Philip bay. If beaches are very high on your agenda then Melbourne is one of the worst cities in Australia in that area. Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Newcastle, Wollongong, even Geelong would all be better places to live if you want proper beaches.

Anyone who says otherwise is just deluded.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 10:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne v Perth

It's a sensitive topic to some on here, but anyone that has lived near, or is used to real ocean facing beaches, generally doesn't like the giant pond that is Port Philip bay. If beaches are very high on your agenda then Melbourne is one of the worst cities in Australia in that area. Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Newcastle, Wollongong, even Geelong would all be better places to live if you want proper beaches.

Clearly I'm deluded then. I chose Melbourne over Brisbane because I could live near a great beach, within commuting distance of the CBD. This is not possible in Brisbane, which has mud flats, not beaches.

BB
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane does not have beaches
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Brisbane does not have beaches
No, but where else would you work and have access to Queensland beaches?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.