Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Update

Melbourne Update

Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:09 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne Update

Hiya,

Well for those of you who are interested, here's an update from sunny ole Oz.

Hubby Neil and I have now been here for nearly 6 months and despite a roller-coaster of a ride, are really happy. We are now living a a lovely rented house in the inner SE sububrbs with great neighbours and friends all over Melbourne.

We have bought a plot of land ready to build on at a fantastic 'resort-style' estate called Sanctuary Lakes which is 20mins by car from the CBD and 30mins on the train. It's being able to build a four bed, 3.5 bath, monster of a dream house that makes me remember why I came to Australia! Actually, our lease on this house is up in July so we are thinking of moving out there then and renting a brand new, gorgeaus 3/4 bedroom house for the price we are paying now and free use of the gym/sauna/pool etc.

Despite almost daily nagging of the Victorian Institute of Teaching:lecture: , they are still processing my application and I am currently only allowed to do supply teaching. The supply agencies, however, are equally as awful and have twice cancelled my interview so I am still waiting on them. In the meantime, I have a great job as a nanny for a fab couple (and their 4 and 2 year olds) in Brighton. The kids are great and their house is stunning - spent most of the last few weeks in the pool or down the beach. It's hard work but I'm topping up the tan a treat!

Neil has been called back for a second interview with ANZ (big Oz bank) next Thursday which looks very promising. It was meant to be this week but they cancelled that too - do you see a pattern forming??

We are coming back to the UK next Friday for a quick visit and hopefully to pick up our beloved visa! The bond has been lodged and our case officer assurers us that she will send the pre-grant letter out before we go so we should be just in the nick of time. My God, has that been a hard road! Never ever want to do that again and am aware that the nightmare may not yet be over but am keeping fingers crossed and loooking forward to my "GOT IT" post and sinking a few cold ones.

To everyone still waiting and wondering if it's worth all the blood sweat and tears - hang in there. Oz is not Utopia and problems and frustrations abound here but I think we, at least, have finally found what we were looking for (isn't that a song..??) and are looking forward to the future.

We love being able to go out for dinner a few times a week (going for lovely Thai tonight after work and have even found a stupendous Indian at Southbank ) we can get to the beach in half an hour and our entirely amateurish attempts at surfing are enjoyable if not very successful! We are going away for the weekend when we get back from the UK with a few friends we met from this forum. Driving down the Great Ocean Rd to a stunning little place called Port Fairy for a weekend of wine and chilling out. All is looking good.

Maybe I will feel different in the depths of winter (though I think a short trip to Queensland might be in order then) but at the moment I certainly won't be returning to the UK! We are really settling into life here - we have furniture, two cats, a car, an expensive piece of dirt and we even go to a pub quiz every Monday down the local!:scared:

Good luck to everyone on their way.

Emma.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:20 pm
WBB

great post, good luck with the visa and the job situation.

Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:13 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to Melbourne Emma, sounds like youve done more in six months than Ive done in 5 years
Good luck with the jobs but sounds like your not stressing to much.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne Update

Originally posted by emmahafryn
We are really settling into life here - we have furniture, two cats, a car, an expensive piece of dirt and we even go to a pub quiz every Monday down the local!:scared:

Emma.

Welcome to Melbourne Emma, it's a great place,

two cats, a car and a piece of dirt - come on you need top pick a team, pick St. Kilda they are on the up and should do well this year and everybody loves them.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 2:41 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Everybody ????????? Nah, go Bombers Pick Essendon Emma, far more classy, more your style.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
Everybody ????????? Nah, go Bombers Pick Essendon Emma, far more classy, more your style.

Everybody except Bordy........................
Old Mar 26th 2004, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

chloet is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck Emma...It seems like everything has worked out just fine for you..The house sounds brilliant..Chloe..
Old Mar 26th 2004, 4:50 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

[i](.... and have even found a stupendous Indian at Southbank )
Can you remember the name of the Indian ? I live in Southbank and enjoy a stupendous most days !!
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:32 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Snitzy
Can you remember the name of the Indian ? I live in Southbank and enjoy a stupendous most days !!

Hi All,

Snitzy - Restaurant is called "Bhoj" and is actually on the New Quay in the Docklands - it's great! Very modern, super tasty curries.

Thanks Chloe, not out of the woods yet but getting there.

Sorry boys, I'm not supporting anyone at the moment. I am truly gutted that they are not showing any of the 6 Nations games so I refuse so watch they pansyish excuse for rugby!!!
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:35 am
The Godfather

Well I joined the Victorian Rugby Union to Emma does that count

http://www.vicrugby.com.au/default.asp?id=20322
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:38 am
Homeward Bound

Yes, Bordy - that 's more like it!

We live literally round the corner from the ground where Melbourne rugby union play but I don't know any of fixtures or anything.

Do you go to any games?

Em.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 5:44 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
Well I joined the Victorian Rugby Union to Emma does that count

http://www.vicrugby.com.au/default.asp?id=20322
hmm the Weary Dunlop club. I was invited to one of their luncheons yesterday at the Sofitel but unfortunately I was too ill. I hear they do alot of good work.
S.

Last edited by Snitzy; Mar 26th 2004 at 6:40 am.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 6:22 am
The Godfather

I'm pretty slack Emma, Ive only been to the internationals in Melbourne. The World cup was fantastic, well apart from England winning, me being Scottish & all
The Weary Dunlop club has quite a few functions during the year with some good speakers mainly Ex Aussie players.
Old Mar 26th 2004, 7:39 am
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Hiya,

Well for those of you who are interested, here's an update from sunny ole Oz.

Hubby Neil and I have now been here for nearly 6 months and despite a roller-coaster of a ride, are really happy. We are now living a a lovely rented house in the inner SE sububrbs with great neighbours and friends all over Melbourne.

We have bought a plot of land ready to build on at a fantastic 'resort-style' estate called Sanctuary Lakes which is 20mins by car from the CBD and 30mins on the train. It's being able to build a four bed, 3.5 bath, monster of a dream house that makes me remember why I came to Australia! Actually, our lease on this house is up in July so we are thinking of moving out there then and renting a brand new, gorgeaus 3/4 bedroom house for the price we are paying now and free use of the gym/sauna/pool etc.

Despite almost daily nagging of the Victorian Institute of Teaching:lecture: , they are still processing my application and I am currently only allowed to do supply teaching. The supply agencies, however, are equally as awful and have twice cancelled my interview so I am still waiting on them. In the meantime, I have a great job as a nanny for a fab couple (and their 4 and 2 year olds) in Brighton. The kids are great and their house is stunning - spent most of the last few weeks in the pool or down the beach. It's hard work but I'm topping up the tan a treat!

Neil has been called back for a second interview with ANZ (big Oz bank) next Thursday which looks very promising. It was meant to be this week but they cancelled that too - do you see a pattern forming??

We are coming back to the UK next Friday for a quick visit and hopefully to pick up our beloved visa! The bond has been lodged and our case officer assurers us that she will send the pre-grant letter out before we go so we should be just in the nick of time. My God, has that been a hard road! Never ever want to do that again and am aware that the nightmare may not yet be over but am keeping fingers crossed and loooking forward to my "GOT IT" post and sinking a few cold ones.

To everyone still waiting and wondering if it's worth all the blood sweat and tears - hang in there. Oz is not Utopia and problems and frustrations abound here but I think we, at least, have finally found what we were looking for (isn't that a song..??) and are looking forward to the future.

We love being able to go out for dinner a few times a week (going for lovely Thai tonight after work and have even found a stupendous Indian at Southbank ) we can get to the beach in half an hour and our entirely amateurish attempts at surfing are enjoyable if not very successful! We are going away for the weekend when we get back from the UK with a few friends we met from this forum. Driving down the Great Ocean Rd to a stunning little place called Port Fairy for a weekend of wine and chilling out. All is looking good.

Maybe I will feel different in the depths of winter (though I think a short trip to Queensland might be in order then) but at the moment I certainly won't be returning to the UK! We are really settling into life here - we have furniture, two cats, a car, an expensive piece of dirt and we even go to a pub quiz every Monday down the local!:scared:

Emma.

Very informative post Emma. Thanks a lot for the update and wish you all the best. Can you give a rough idea as to how much that piece of dirt as you call it cost you ?

Keyur
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:34 pm
Homeward Bound

Originally posted by keyurlavingia
Very informative post Emma. Thanks a lot for the update and wish you all the best. Can you give a rough idea as to how much that piece of dirt as you call it cost you ?

Keyur
Hi there,
Land at S/L is quickly going through the roof and our own piece of dirt was not cheap at $165k. It was, believe it or not, a bargain though and much smaller plots are now selling for around 200k so it was still better than leaving it in the bank with their crappy interest rate!

The cheapest you can get land around Melbourne seems to be about $130k but this involves moving a further from the city and on an estate with fewer attractions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.