Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:27 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Schools

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Better start prepping DUP, I heard its not easy to a good group for your child at the kinder. I heard some councils in VIC are so overbooked that you need to book in your children to kinder when you become pregnant
Not an issue in our area thankfully MP. Was not a prob getting our kid into a good child care centre a year ago (and we had several to pick from with little or no waiting lists.) same for schools when they get older. Plenty of good public ones in our catchment area to choose from. I do understand it is a real problem in some areas of melbourne though. Hope you dont end up in one of those if you are planning to have (or already have) kids !
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Melbourne Schools

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Not an issue in our area thankfully MP. Was not a prob getting our kid into a good child care centre a year ago (and we had several to pick from with little or no waiting lists.) same for schools when they get older. Plenty of good public ones in our catchment area to choose from. I do understand it is a real problem in some areas of melbourne though. Hope you dont end up in one of those if you are planning to have (or already have) kids !
Yea, I'll be watchful of that when I plan the location my next home, will call some kinders and ask. Still have 2-3 years for that though
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Teri33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Hello
am new to this site and so glad I found this thread. I am czech national, living in London for the past 12 years. My fiancee is british zimbabwean and we have 17 months old son. My fiancee works as forensic mental health ward manager and has been offered a job in Melbourne in forensic hospital as a ward manager. I work in the same hospital as he is as a health care assistant so am hoping to get similar job in Oz. We are hoping to move in mid of this year. It's great reading all your experiences. We won't lose much when leaving the UK as my parents live in Czech Republic and my partners in Zimbabwe. We are used to being apart. I would like to ask how often do you actually manage to travel to Europe for visiting families? Am hoping to try and travel once a year.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:41 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teri33
Hello
am new to this site and so glad I found this thread. I am czech national, living in London for the past 12 years. My fiancee is british zimbabwean and we have 17 months old son. My fiancee works as forensic mental health ward manager and has been offered a job in Melbourne in forensic hospital as a ward manager. I work in the same hospital as he is as a health care assistant so am hoping to get similar job in Oz. We are hoping to move in mid of this year. It's great reading all your experiences. We won't lose much when leaving the UK as my parents live in Czech Republic and my partners in Zimbabwe. We are used to being apart. I would like to ask how often do you actually manage to travel to Europe for visiting families? Am hoping to try and travel once a year.
Hi Teri. Visiting family in Europe from Australia is quite expensive, probably just over $2000 per person return for flights. However I do know people who return for a visit every year so it can be done.

BB
Old Jan 7th 2011, 7:24 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teri33
I would like to ask how often do you actually manage to travel to Europe for visiting families? Am hoping to try and travel once a year.
Just twice in the last 8 years for us.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We were naieve enough to think every year too

Once in 7 years for all 5 of us, and once for Just my hubby last year for one of "those" events....

There is absolutely NO WAY no how we will have anywhere near enough money in the veru forseable future either
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Teri33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for replying. I was hoping to go every year for a month to make my parents happy. Just my son and me, hubby can keep on working . We will see. The hospital my partner is supposed to work is in Fairfield in Melbourne. Not sure about the area or any surrounding nice areas, would any of you know? Will probably have to live near the work place at first and the hospital will help us with accomodation for first 6 weeks. Thank you buzzy bee for your offer, will definitely stay in touch. Thank you all.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:41 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Inconsequential by comparison to the tragedy going on in QLD, but very unusual to see the GOR closed off like this.

Floods, rockfalls close Great Ocean Road
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fl...112-19nby.html
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:40 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Inconsequential by comparison to the tragedy going on in QLD, but very unusual to see the GOR closed off like this.

Floods, rockfalls close Great Ocean Road
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fl...112-19nby.html
I agree with you re-QLD, but we are also getting our fair share of extreme weather.

A month ago flooding in many places & snowfalls in the mountains and also forcasts of pretty extreme rainfall heading into the weekend as well which could also result in flash flooding.

I was at Wilsons Prom over the weekend, and we came back early because a storm on Sunday night flattened 2 of our tents and we have come back to dry out, bought a new heavy duty tent and are back again tomorrow. There were dozens of people packing up or tying everything back down again when we left.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:43 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Originally Posted by furkew
I agree with you re-QLD, but we are also getting our fair share of extreme weather.

A month ago flooding in many places & snowfalls in the mountains and also forcasts of pretty extreme rainfall heading into the weekend as well which could also result in flash flooding.

I was at Wilsons Prom over the weekend, and we came back early because a storm on Sunday night flattened 2 of our tents and we have come back to dry out, bought a new heavy duty tent and are back again tomorrow. There were dozens of people packing up or tying everything back down again when we left.
Geez, I had not realised it was so bad. Sorry to hear the prom trip had a spanner in the works. Hope the new tent does the job and that the sun comes out for the rest of your vacation
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:51 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, I had not realised it was so bad. Sorry to hear the prom trip had a spanner in the works. Hope the new tent does the job and that the sun comes out for the rest of your vacation
I was on my motorbike, and riding back (it had actually stopped raining) the roads all dried out before leaving the prom, and temperature went up about 5 degrees I was almost tempted to turn around and stop being a pussy.

If this tent blows down, then nothing will survive (although I think it will be tested in the next few days)

I have to unfortunately work on Monday, so i'm only getting another couple of days, but the missus & kids are there for another week, so the weather will improve.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:02 am
Going for a ride

DAMN !!!!

I just noticed that you got the honours for posting the 1000's post on this thread

Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has averaged 3 trips in 6 years, with one extra child each time.
The 2nd I also accompanied her - yes I am a child at times...

A few caveats. She goes to Californina - cheaper than London. I think the fare was closer to 1000 rather than 2000. At various times, she only paid an infant fare for at least one - but recently both girls were not particularly discounted - why should they when they take up a seat.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My wife has averaged 3 trips in 6 years, with one extra child each time.
The 2nd I also accompanied her - yes I am a child at times...

A few caveats. She goes to Californina - cheaper than London. I think the fare was closer to 1000 rather than 2000. At various times, she only paid an infant fare for at least one - but recently both girls were not particularly discounted - why should they when they take up a seat.
Exactly. If we were to go now we would have 4 adult fares (say....2K? each) and one at 70%...just isnt doable
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:31 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Default Melbourne housing market

Land sales slump but prices hit new heights
http://theage.domain.com.au/real-est...118-19v9n.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.