Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by @boy
27k was a straight line distance as the crow flies from the CBD.
Driving distance from Doreen is actually 35k.

Shocking gridlocks out that way at peak hour times Buzzy.

Imagine if there was no rail line to Frankston.
Can you picture your driving time from there as a result of all those extra commuters driving instead ?
Well, this is the problem you face as you head out past Hurstbridge (the end of the train line)

The biggest problem is Yan Yean road which struggles to service all of those rapidly expanding developments (Doreen, Laurimer, Mernda etc).
I am assuming of course that Colin would be looking at driving during normal peak hour traffic ?
Can confirm all of this, Plenty road, the main road into the city, blocks up every rush hour, they have built the estates through to Whittlesea, without paying regard to the infrastructure, which is sadly lagging behind.

The Epping railway line also has suffered with very crowded trains. The Gang issues that I've mentioned in school posts, manifest themselves in a obvious way late at night and on weekends. It's one line I wouldnt let my kids travel alone on. The tram service is good though, goes right along to NMIT (college) at Bundoora, (on the outskirts of Mill park) and is probably going right through to Mernda, making the already longest tram link in Melbourne, even longer. People that live that way from my work, seem happy enough though, It is very easy to get to the bush up that way.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

People i can answer a question for you some people have asked why do most want to go to perth or the gold coast its as simple as this they are sun lovers however they know they must work in the heat or they should know that.

we have been in Australia now for almost 11 years in melbourne & we love the place for us we are used to the 4 seasons, but melbourne has so much to offer.

regards

arthur

ps

if there are any electrical people requiring assistance in what the A class license is all about then just ask.

arthur
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Hi guys,

OK, you've all got me thinking about where the best place to lives is so I was wondering if you could all help a little with our "shopping list"...

1. 4 bed, 2 bath house for approx $400,000
2. Catchment zone for good schools
3. Maximum 1hr commute to CBD
4. "Nice" area (eg. as trouble free as you can get)
5. Close to "off lead" parks to walk the dogs
6. Would like it to be established (eg. town centre, shops, etc.)

Do we sound too demanding???

Cheers,

Colin
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:00 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Hi guys,

OK, you've all got me thinking about where the best place to lives is so I was wondering if you could all help a little with our "shopping list"...

Cheers,

Colin
Let me know if you find one and I'll buy next door
Irish Gal
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:08 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Colin
Not demanding Colin. Perfectly understandable wishlist.
But a 4x2 for $400k, to include your full shopping list....?

What kind of condition would you like the said house to be in ?
i.e. "just move in - no work required" Vs "say goodbye to all of your weekends for the next few years due to constant reno work"....

If you are looking for the "no work required" option, I do not see you meeting that list in the places you have been looking so far.
I'm sure there will be plenty of Melbournians who can prove me wrong. I would be more than happy for them to do so if it means you can find that house.

This one would just about make it though...listed at 380k+
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1208859073

Last edited by @boy; Apr 22nd 2008 at 10:14 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Not demanding Colin. Perfectly understandable wishlist.
But a 4x2 for $400k, to include your full shopping list....?

What kind of condition would you like the said house to be in ?
i.e. "just move in - no work required" Vs "say goodbye to all of your weekends for the next few years due to constant reno work"....

If you are looking for the "no work required" option, I do not see you meeting that list in the places you have been looking so far.
I'm sure there will be plenty of Melbournians who can prove me wrong. I would be more than happy for them to do so if it means you can find that house.

This one would just about make it though...listed at 380k+
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1208859073

Hey @boy,

I would certainly be looking more towards the "no work" option but we're not sure whether we need a 4 bed - there's only 4 of us so we actually only need a 3 bed, the 4th is just for the POM rellies who "may" visit. We may be able to stretch to $500K once Toni goes back to work in two years time, but by then obviously, the prices may have gone up...

Mainly looking to get a good idea of areas...would you recommend Eltham? What about South of the river?

Thanks again,

Colin
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Melbourne thread

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Colin

Langwarrin. Near the beach too.

Buzzy
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Langwarrin. Near the beach too.

Buzzy
The man has a point there Colin. Head South to the peninsula.
You will find a shed load of very nice sub 400k 4x2 houses in Langwarrin. Only 45 mins to the CBD as well as Buzzy has pointed out.

It will put you 75km from your Dad in Doreen though.
Melbourne is a very big place. Lots of places you can go. Lots of choices you will have to make.
You probably need to nail down some goalposts first though to help you make those decisions.
i.e Do you want the 4x2 or not ? Is living near your dad a priority or not ? Is your limit 400k or 500k ? Will your OH be going back to work or not ?
If you can start to be 100% on some of those questions that you need to put to yourselves it will make your decision process much, much easier in the end.

Good luck with it !

Last edited by @boy; Apr 22nd 2008 at 1:25 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:21 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
People i can answer a question for you some people have asked why do most want to go to perth or the gold coast its as simple as this they are sun lovers however they know they must work in the heat or they should know that.

we have been in Australia now for almost 11 years in melbourne & we love the place for us we are used to the 4 seasons, but melbourne has so much to offer.

regards

arthur

ps

if there are any electrical people requiring assistance in what the A class license is all about then just ask.

arthur

currently thinking of moving to melly from perth, we have been here now for just over two years and as many have said the beaches are beautiful but ther is nothing to do,

i was wondering what the work situation is like for sparkies at present as perth has a lot work at going on in and around the city on office and com refits.

ATB

andy
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Melbourne thread

You will find a shed load of very nice sub 400k 4x2 houses in Langwarrin. Only 45 mins to the CBD as well as Buzzy has pointed out.

It will put you 75km from your Dad in Doreen though.
45 mins can be achieved out of rush hour, easy. More like just over an hour in rush hour and depends on which bit of the CBD. Lots of people do it though, including my colleague who sits next to me at work.

I also know someone who commutes from Langwarrin to Eltham each day, takes them just over an hour, so Doreen wouldn't be impossible at weekends at all.

Buzzy
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:15 pm

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Colin
OK Colin, had a chat about your wish list with the missus (she is a real estate junkie who still keeps an eye on the market here in the NE suburbs as if we are still looking for a place !).

Her recommendation :

Greensborough or Montmorency.

These are the well established areas between Rosanna and Eltham (on the train line.
Train stops are as follows - Heidelberg, Rosanna, Macleod, Watsonia, Greensborough, Montmorency, Eltham, and so on.

Although well established, they are still quite affordable (more so than Eltham, but actually closer to the CBD on the train line).
Plenty of places that would match your full wish list in these suburbs.
Growing in demand due to the huge new Greensborough Plaza town centre development that is going ahead there.

Visit realestate.com.au (much more informative than domain.com.au)and search on properties for both of these areas to give you an idea.
e.g.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1209078225

If you have any more questions on the North Eastern suburbs, send them on. More than happy to give you the feedback based on our experience here.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

OK Colin, had a chat about your wish list with the missus (she is a real estate junkie who still keeps an eye on the market here in the NE suburbs as if we are still looking for a place !).

Her recommendation :

These are the well established areas between Rosanna and Eltham (on the train line.
Train stops are as follows - Heidelberg, Rosanna, Macleod, Watsonia, Greensborough, Montmorency, Eltham, and so on.

Although well established, they are still quite affordable (more so than Eltham, but actually closer to the CBD on the train line).
Growing in demand due to the huge new Greensborough Plaza town centre development that is going ahead there.

Visit realestate.com.au (much more informative than domain.com.au)and search on properties for both of these areas to give you an idea.
e.g.

If you have any more questions on the North Eastern suburbs, send them on. More than happy to give you the feedback based on our experience here.
Most if not all of the schools through that way are fine.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Most if not all of the schools through that way are fine.

Her recommendation :

e.g.

Thanks again guys, we really appreciate all your help. Actually, Greensborough was probably 4th on our list (may have a rethink now) and we'll defo take a look at Montmorency as well. We spent a fair amount of time at Greensborough when we were over thre 10 years ago as that was the closest shopping centre to Lower Plenty. What's happening with the Plaza then, sounds like a major development!!

Thanks for the offer to keep chucking up questions as well - greatly appreciated.

Colin & Toni
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:23 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

How about on the edge of Melbourne heading towards the hills ?

Upwey, Ferntree Gully etc.

This ones in Upwey. Not exactly my colour scheme, but for $450 plus, doesnt look too bad.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1209125875
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:26 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this one down our road.

Its not close enough to the city for you guys, but looks a tidy house.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1209125875

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.