Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:05 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
Looks like a few of us have just arrived, we landed on Saturday morning, have just been wandering round the CBD most of the weekend, today we start with the to do list
Welcome to Melbourne
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by fraser
Welcome to Melbourne
Ah there you are. Hello my friend, its been too long.

Hope you, rachel and the boys are doing well.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to Melbourne
Hi Fraser - Thanks, we have had our visa stamped today and also registered for Medicare So far so good, apart from a sunburt face from wandering around Southbank yesterday, it didn't seem that hot

Tracy
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:51 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fraser - Thanks, we have had our visa stamped today and also registered for Medicare So far so good, apart from a sunburt face from wandering around Southbank yesterday, it didn't seem that hot

Tracy
You need to be careful, the sun is potent.

Still happens to me though
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Tracy
Welcome! Hubby also got burnt whilst out in the garden yesterday as he also didn't think it was that hot! (And he's been here 3 years!!)

Ruth
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

stubbieholder31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: The Melbourne thread. West melbourne schools

Hello
We would love to hear from anyone living in the West melbourne area's. I know i have asked before some ime ago.
Williamstown, Werribee, point cook, etc..... who could suggest some reputable primary schools.
We hope to be coming over during the summer (possibly sooner)? with our soon to be 8 yr old daughter. A list of schools to concider would be great along with the school fees if that possible.
Also clubs and activities for the youngsters would be good.
Horse riding, brownies, ice skating, swimming etc.
Nice beaches and anything else you think may be useful to know.
Is there plenty to do or are the kids bored?
Thanks in anticipation of you're replies (hope I get some)
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:11 pm

Default Re: The Melbourne thread. West melbourne schools

Originally Posted by stubbieholder31
Hello
We would love to hear from anyone living in the West melbourne area's. I know i have asked before some ime ago.
Williamstown, Werribee, point cook, etc..... who could suggest some reputable primary schools.
We hope to be coming over during the summer (possibly sooner)? with our soon to be 8 yr old daughter. A list of schools to concider would be great along with the school fees if that possible.
We're in Point Cook, our boy went to Carranballac, steer clear. We moved him to Seabrook which is excellent.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

gail.crease is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve_uk
Systems Administration (Microsoft, Citrix, Vmware etc) and Project Management.
Hi Steve

We're in the same boat. My hubby is in IT Project Management (it's a buoyant market BTW) working for ANZ bank and I'm an accountant working for Telstra. We have to live really close to the city so we can take our 2 kids to nursery and pick them up in good time. We work from 8 to 5 and feel pressure to work longer hours. We drop the kids off at 7.30 and pick them up at 5.45. We live in Port Melbourne and drive in. If we lived in Bayside we would be pushing it. The other alternative when we work late is one picks them up and one drops them off and the other gets the train/tram. There is plenty of work out in the suburbs near Bayside so you may be lucky and get a job there. Long term we want to be in Bayside so I'll be looking for a job further out in a few years time.

Gail
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:33 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozdreamer
Can't believe that after all this time we are only 24 hours from getting out of here - Melbourne here we come

We leave from Heathrow tomorrow night at 10pm and land in Melbourne at 9am Wednesday morning - can't wait
Oooooo you should be there by now?
Looking forward to an update (however short it is!).
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stubbieholder31
Hello
Hi, we're in Williamstown which has all your requirements except here they don't have Brownies, instead the girls and boys to "Scouts" together and there are packs around.
There are 2 primary schools, williamstown North and Williamstown primary - google them if you want to know more.
My 2 (9 and 11) are at "Willy" primary and are very happy.
The beach is lovely here and because we're in a bay, there are no waves (except if windy), strong currents or sharks.
I haven't found out re ice-skating but there must be a rink in the city which is 20 mins away, otherwise there's a huge selection of sports, one of which is basketball which is very popular.
There's even lacrosse in the winter.
Children have no excuse to be bored here!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by talbot
The beach is lovely here (
it is?

Wow I don't really rate the beach there at all, different folks and that eh
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

it is?

Wow I don't really rate the beach there at all, different folks and that eh
Now why am I not surprised someone contradicted me?
We're not comparing beaches of the country here, nor of the world, and for a family with a young child the beach is actually perfect! We don't want to put them off now - or is that what you're doing, so you can have it to yourself?

(I tried to insert a pic... hopefully it works!)

Last edited by talbot; Apr 10th 2008 at 8:22 am. Reason: trying to insert a pic
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Now why am I not surprised someone contradicted me?
We're not comparing beaches of the country here, nor of the world, and for a family with a young child the beach is actually perfect! We don't want to put them off now - or is that what you're doing, so you can have it to yourself?
I dont mind the beaches down that way at all, especially the one on the outskirts of williamstown, with the restaurant/cafe overlooking the sand.

However I would nominate that dog beach at Seaholme, Altona, as the worst beach I've ever seen in my life, being totally covered with a thick mat of dead seaweed, dogs crap and ants. ... makes Leysdown and the Isle of Sheppey look good.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I dont mind the beaches down that way at all, especially the one on the outskirts of williamstown, with the restaurant/cafe overlooking the sand.

However I would nominate that dog beach at Seaholme, Altona, as the worst beach I've ever seen in my life, being totally covered with a thick mat of dead seaweed, dogs crap and ants. ... makes Leysdown and the Isle of Sheppey look good.
But it is perfect for my dog!!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

But it is perfect for my dog!!
LOL and ours, but I'm trying to avoid going there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.