Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by vickyandrob
sorry forgot that important info, max 600,000, would prefer 4 bed as also have a 2 year old, but the 2 girls could share if it comes to getting them all settled and not wanting to come home!

thanks for your reply, will look in more detail at this area
vicky
4 beds for 600k gets a little harder -

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...dsize=&m=&p=10

Buzzy
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

thanks buzzy for that, day off today so wil get researching!

vicky
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:26 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Margaret3
we cant afford a house anywhere, so we can stay anywhere

We're looking at a max of 400K for a house to buy. Looks like we'll be up on the mountains ha! I don't mind really its just I don't want my OH spending all day commuting.

Anyone any thoughts on Berwick - regarding too far out from CBD?
Irish Gal
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
We're looking at a max of 400K for a house to buy. Looks like we'll be up on the mountains ha! I don't mind really its just I don't want my OH spending all day commuting.

Irish Gal
You could consider Langwarrin, although it is a 1 hour commute from the CBD. Get a decent house for your 400k and close to the beach and peninsula too.

Buzzy
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:32 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You could consider Langwarrin, although it is a 1 hour commute from the CBD. Get a decent house for your 400k and close to the beach and peninsula too.

Buzzy
Thanks Buzzy. Off to Google Earth it now. Cheers!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:53 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

And Glen Waverley carl, just had 30 bucks per week slammed onto our rent
Christ, that's a bit harsh....but that's the price you pay for good Chinese food on your doorstep
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:09 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Christ, that's a bit harsh....but that's the price you pay for good Chinese food on your doorstep
have you ever been to the palms in syndal, its got the best food ave ever tasted, its a wierd place, its a resturant , but like a food court, you go in and have a choice of Indian (which is yummy beyond beilief), vegetarian kitchen, chinese and indonesean, byo and cheap
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Irish Gal
Some of the hill villages are beautiful - the foothills offer good value for money with a great atmosphere and range from 45 mins - 1 hour commute (maybe more in rush hour, unless you jump on the train of course). Check out: The Basin, Upper Ferntree Gully, Upwey, Tecoma. Also parts of Ferntree Gully and Boronia are nice. No problems with your budget.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:21 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

have you ever been to the palms in syndal, its got the best food ave ever tasted, its a wierd place, its a resturant , but like a food court, you go in and have a choice of Indian (which is yummy beyond beilief), vegetarian kitchen, chinese and indonesean, byo and cheap
I've not been there....I've only been to the Syndal bakery on Blackburn Road....the woman in there is a bit like Mr Benn. One minute the shop is deserted, and the next she's stood right beside you
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Guys

Plenty of people do commute from Mornington, they accept the 1 hr 20 min+ drive in return for living in Mornington.

Buzzy
The traffic is BAD in the mornings I commute from Point Cook to the CBD 25kms and it takes me between 45 mins and 1 hr 15 mins in the morning, so I am imagining the 1hr 20 mins is on a good day?
Lau x
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Irish Gal
You could get a decent house in Point Cook / Werribee / Altona Meadows for $400 too...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Some of the hill villages are beautiful - the foothills offer good value for money with a great atmosphere and range from 45 mins - 1 hour commute (maybe more in rush hour, unless you jump on the train of course). Check out: The Basin, Upper Ferntree Gully, Upwey, Tecoma. Also parts of Ferntree Gully and Boronia are nice. No problems with your budget.
You're not wrong.

I think the nicest parts of the Dandenongs are amongst the best places to live in the world, mix between complete serenity and rural life with a sort of Alpine Swiss European feel, and access to city too. Something to suit many budgets and tastes there E, S, W and N of Mt Dandenong. Some stunning finds which would have even your most missingUK countryside person feeling sated.

Even over the hill and into the Yarrey Valley has some great spots - if a bit too far away from jobs closer in. But one of the popular FM radio hosts does it!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reedy
You could get a decent house in Point Cook / Werribee / Altona Meadows for $400 too...
The newer estate locations in Berwick are to the SE what Point Cook et al are to the W.

Both are served with highways (some extended last 4 years or so) of different ages. Commutes are bad in rushhour, great outside, but if you're a veteran of early driving and/or used to London style commutes not so bad actually.

The W is closer outside rushhour, but it might lack the character of Olde Berwick - but this will become a bit swamped in years to come I think.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You're not wrong.

I think the nicest parts of the Dandenongs are amongst the best places to live in the world, mix between complete serenity and rural life with a sort of Alpine Swiss European feel, and access to city too. Something to suit many budgets and tastes there E, S, W and N of Mt Dandenong. Some stunning finds which would have even your most missingUK countryside person feeling sated.

Even over the hill and into the Yarrey Valley has some great spots - if a bit too far away from jobs closer in. But one of the popular FM radio hosts does it!
I was surprised how many commute from Mount Evelyn - we got caught in the traffic on our way to Amelia's school concert. It maybe 36km out, but there are some cheap properties there with decent plots. Montrose also seems good value.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

WelshRanger is just really niceWelshRanger is just really niceWelshRanger is just really niceWelshRanger is just really niceWelshRanger is just really niceWelshRanger is just really niceWelshRanger is just really niceWelshRanger is just really niceWelshRanger is just really nice

Lived in Adelaide, Melbourne and Brissie. best were in this order Brissie, Adelaide , Melbourne. Melbourne is like many other cities e.g Birmingham, Manchester

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.