Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Sep 29th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by turkey
Cheers Justin,
How long did it take to get a reply from TRA about the skills? I know exactly what you mean about getting all the tax info together to present the TRA. We had a timescale of four weeks from all the forms arriving but it took Julie 2 weeks to get her head roung putting pen to paper properly while i was sat at the computer converting it into English!!
We went right into depth, detailing method statements for every aspect of her job, photographs with descriptions etc etc. When they drew up the stat decs for her old employer from years ago and sent them to us, they had bullet pointed everything about her trade!!! We were gutted! All that work and stress!! I think they may use all that info though but we just don't see it for the stat dec purpose. It's probably sent along with the complete set of info to TRA to make a better case.
Where are you hoping to land?

Andy
Hi Andy!it took about 3 weeks to get everything back.We are staying in frankston south for 4 weeks and in that time need to get jobs and find a suburb we like the look of to rent for 6 months, and then decide where to buy.( mind you, i have heard that it is getting increasingly hard to get a 6 month as most agents seem to be tying you in to 12 months)
i dont like the sound of that!

we have never been so nervous/excited/scared etc!!!!landing 14th jan
Tracey.xx
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

turkey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by The howellers
Hi Andy!it took about 3 weeks to get everything back.We are staying in frankston south for 4 weeks and in that time need to get jobs and find a suburb we like the look of to rent for 6 months, and then decide where to buy.( mind you, i have heard that it is getting increasingly hard to get a 6 month as most agents seem to be tying you in to 12 months)
i dont like the sound of that!

we have never been so nervous/excited/scared etc!!!!landing 14th jan
Tracey.xx
Hi Tracey, know what you mean, even at this stage!!!
Julie asked me to ask you about your 'colouring' experience. Victoria want hairdressers to have a preferred skill in colouring so she wondered what you did about that element of the application.

Andy
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
We're in Melbourne and have been since Aug 05 and loving it. We 've moved out to Gippsland country and live in Pakenham which is on the edge of the Gippsland countryside.

Lorraine
Hello,
Please, let me know if you like Pakenham.It seems to be cheaper than other areas, and more new housing available too which we would prefer. Is there a number hospitals close by since I am a critical care nurse and will be usefull if the workplace is closer.
O, and the last question: what is the median price for the house (3-4/2/2) in Pakenham?

Thanks a million
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by turkey
Hi Tracey, know what you mean, even at this stage!!!
Julie asked me to ask you about your 'coloring' experience. Victoria want hairdressers to have a preferred skill in colouring so she wondered what you did about that element of the application.

Andy
Hi !
I have a lot of experience with colour, so have lots of certificates (dating right back ti 1987and taught all the trainees in the salon. Also have a d32 and d33 so am an assessor too. we just scaned all docs in and uploaded them to apply for sponsorship. hope this helps? basically put in everything you can think of, however small. Tracey.x
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:21 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tahititim
Hello,
Please, let me know if you like Pakenham.It seems to be cheaper than other areas, and more new housing available too which we would prefer. Is there a number hospitals close by since I am a critical care nurse and will be usefull if the workplace is closer.
O, and the last question: what is the median price for the house (3-4/2/2) in Pakenham?

Thanks a million
The nearest hospital in in Berwick, but for critical care you would probably have to go to Dandenong (good luck with that!) or Clayton (the Monash)

Pakenham is cheaper, but overpriced for the area and some people with new builds have overspent apparently... (according to my friend who is a real estate agent)
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

tahititim, I have the suburb guide for Melbourne. If you like send me your email address and I will forward it on.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Hi Mairead
just sent you a pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:19 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice

Hello all,
We moved to Melbourne in Feb 2007 after migrating to Canada and not liking it. We're on a state sponsored visa so were 'obligated' to move to Victoria. We bought a place in St Andrews, right at the end of the Hurstbridge line, a lovely mud brick home on 3.5 acres with no neighbours and see kangeroos hopping around the garden most days. I commute to the city for my work. So far things have been going well and we're pretty much settled and happy with things. My wife and kids are loving it as this is their first time in Australia, I have been here on two previous occasions backpacking and have explored most of Australia already, ironically except for melbourne. Though I find melbourne/victoria a nice place it still hasnt capture my heart. I find it all...too....european and pleasant with its green rolling hills, victorian architecture and high street fashions, I could see this - I am from UK, Worcester originally. For me, it doesnt encapsulate the true nature of australia say like Sydney, Perth or Brisbane or some of the more remote towns like Alice or Darwin to which I feel more drawn towards. I'll do my time here in Victoria and then proberly set about thinking of relocating - once I get a business idea I can action to free me from the loins of an employer - hahahaahhahahahaahahaa
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ectomorph
For me, it doesnt encapsulate the true nature of australia say like Sydney, Perth or Brisbane or some of the more remote towns like Alice or Darwin to which I feel more drawn towards. I'll do my time here in Victoria and then proberly set about thinking of relocating - once I get a business idea I can action to free me from the loins of an employer - hahahaahhahahahaahahaa
Funny that. I felt the same on my first visit to Melbourne....and felt inclined to dismiss it....

Though I find melbourne/victoria a nice place it still hasnt capture my heart. I find it all...too....european and pleasant with its green rolling hills, victorian architecture and high street fashions, I could see this - I am from UK, Worcester originally.
...but now find the rolling hills and feel now right up my street. Semi-rural is so easy in Melbourne, the mix is almost perfect. I'm quite glad I didn't follow up initial instincts to go into the interior or Sydney.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
The nearest hospital in in Berwick, but for critical care you would probably have to go to Dandenong (good luck with that!) or Clayton (the Monash)

Pakenham is cheaper, but overpriced for the area and some people with new builds have overspent apparently... (according to my friend who is a real estate agent)
Apart from the best estate - Pakenham is not a Berwick, defintely not as desirable, and I wonder how Berwick will go sometimes. I think it might decline, especially socially.

The next 20 years could be interesting for the urban fringes. New jobs will increase but will they be decent jobs. As people move further out they will have to create industry. I think there will be a lag.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
I find it all...too....european and pleasant with its green rolling hills, victorian architecture and high street fashions
As Badge said, this is actually a big draw for me too. But, I can appreciate it's not the same for everyone
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I happened to be in the Basin a few weeks ago. Nice spot. Would be in my Top 5 places to live. Whingin Poms who hate the suburbs - try moving to a place like there.

Nice CFa station - nice gear - liked the hose drying/comms tower.
It is a great spot - a real hidden gem. Being in such an interesting village community has made settling very easy.

Good to hear the fire station is well-equipped - let's hope we don't need to call on it too often this summer! The only fires near our house last summer, were started by our 'local' fire bug...ger. I hope he's/she's got it out of their system now.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Melbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mairead
tahititim, I have the suburb guide for Melbourne. If you like send me your email address and I will forward it on.
Hi Mairead,

would you also be able to send me the Melbourne Suburb guide?

I am new to this site and due to fly out to Melbourne at the beginning of Novemeber and don't have a clue where to start house hunting.

I would have e-mailed you direct but the site wouldn't let me do this as I haven't made enough posts yet!

Thanks,
Mark
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:59 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

here are a couple of pdf's

Last edited by Sue; Aug 20th 2009 at 12:48 pm. Reason: Attachment removed. It breached copyright and publisher asked for its removal.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:29 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Apart from the best estate - Pakenham is not a Berwick, defintely not as desirable, and I wonder how Berwick will go sometimes. I think it might decline, especially socially.

I think you'd be surprised. I have a lot of local clients and believe me theres a lot of seriously loaded people in Berwick and surrounds who own property here, in the city and have beach houses and holiday homes galore! You can tell a lot by the high street, how busy it is and what its selling etc. I hope it keeps its "village" charm for a long while to come cos I like it down there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.