Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne suburbs - with good state schools

Melbourne suburbs - with good state schools

Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all
Default Melbourne suburbs - with good state schools

Need some advice on suburbs with good state schools and hoping someone will be able to help me - pretty please

We would like to rent a house (for a year or so and eventually plan to buy) in a good suburb - main criteria is that the school must be in suburb which has a good state school.

Which are best state schools (apart from the selective schools - MacRob and Melbourne High) in Melbourne? Is North Balwyn a nice area? (Balwyn High School and Balwyn Primary school (?)- any good?)

I have 2 girls (Year 3 and Year 9). Our requirements are quite simple - apart from the school bit would prefer a safe suburb and access to good transport (when oldest will have to travel to Uni). 4 bed room house. Budget around 500-600 pw. Any other suburbs that you think we could consider?

TIA

Last edited by Kassy; Feb 11th 2009 at 11:42 am.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:16 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne suburbs - with good state schools

Have a look at Vermont.Not sure about the rent though.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:49 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kassy
Need some advice on suburbs with good state schools and hoping someone will be able to help me - pretty please

We would like to rent a house (for a year or so and eventually plan to buy) in a good suburb - main criteria is that the school must be in suburb which has a good state school.

Which are best state schools (apart from the selective schools - MacRob and Melbourne High) in Melbourne? Is North Balwyn a nice area? (Balwyn High School and Balwyn Primary school (?)- any good?)

I have 2 girls (Year 3 and Year 9). Our requirements are quite simple - apart from the school bit would prefer a safe suburb and access to good transport (when oldest will have to travel to Uni). 4 bed room house. Budget around 500-600 pw. Any other suburbs that you think we could consider?

TIA
Have a look at Camberwell (close to Balwyn)
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Glen Waverley and Mount waverley. We tried to get a rental in these areas but in the end gave up as they are very popular areas due to the schools. What was left was grotty, in a poor location or too expensive.

Glen Waverley (better reputation) said they were not allowing any enrolments last year, but are required to offer a place if in the zone. They did not offer us a tour of the school.

Be very careful about your address, even one house just outside of the zone and they will refuse. Phone the school with your address and they will tell you.

Transport and other facilities are good here. There are a fair number of schools in the area and most have good reputations.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

All the previous suggestions are really good, but as carlap mentioned don't bank on being able to rent in the catchment areas of these, it WILL be highly competetive and the rental market at the moment is not the greatest.
The schools will not even look at you until they have to take you because you are in the catchment zone and will also probably put in a clause that if you move out of the zone because you buy or rent elsewhere that your children will have to leave.
We seriously considered state schools because ours had always been to state in the UK and because of the cost but in the short time you have to decide these things ended uo biting the bullet and paying for ours to go private. That way we could choose where we really wanted to live. But it has come at a huge financial cost. But the school is great and the kids have loved it so it was worth it. Our boys were older so we didn't have time to make a mistake because of VCE for the elder one but you may need to face the fact that your girls may need to change schools when you eventually enter the housing market.
If you do consider private, most also have waiting lists which you have to pay to out your name on, and even this won't guarantee you places. Do contact any that you may be seriously considering BEFORE you leave the UK and get your girls names on the list as early as possible. Its really difficult because you don't know where you will be living but at least you may have one or two options up your sleeve. We did this and I'm so glad we did otherwise there is no way our kids would have even got into the private schools either.
Sorry if this is a bit of a downer, but it really is better to be prepared.

Good luck with the move.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Draw an arc from Ringwood to Glen Waverley taking in Mt. Waverley and Vermont.

I found the best thing to do was choose an area and look-up the schools performance. Here's where you search http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/schoolsonline/search.asp for school locations. If you like the school (after visiting) and the area then Bob's your uncle. The school has no choice to take your kid if you live in the area. If you move they don't throw the kids out of the school!

This thread leads you to VCE performance data http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579488

BTW, Victoria has Accelerated Learning in some schools http://www.education.vic.gov.au/stud...al/default.htm I don't how good it is as my daughter went to Norwood SC off to Melbourne Uni, my son went to Ringwood SC just transferred to Melbourne High.

I would heartily recommend both Norwood and Ringwood in the Ringwood area although I think Ringwood has the edge academically. Norwood is smaller than Ringwood.

Both are great schools for turning out young adults.

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Draw an arc from Ringwood to Glen Waverley taking in Mt. Waverley and Vermont.

I found the best thing to do was choose an area and look-up the schools performance. Here's where you search http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/schoolsonline/search.asp for school locations. If you like the school (after visiting) and the area then Bob's your uncle. The school has no choice to take your kid if you live in the area. If you move they don't throw the kids out of the school!

This thread leads you to VCE performance data http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579488

BTW, Victoria has Accelerated Learning in some schools http://www.education.vic.gov.au/stud...al/default.htm I don't how good it is as my daughter went to Norwood SC off to Melbourne Uni, my son went to Ringwood SC just transferred to Melbourne High.

I would heartily recommend both Norwood and Ringwood in the Ringwood area although I think Ringwood has the edge academically. Norwood is smaller than Ringwood.

Both are great schools for turning out young adults.

Ian
We were definetly told by Frankston High school that if we moved out of the catchment area then they reserved the right to ask the boys to leave at the end of the academic year. They said they had to do this because they had so many people who would rent to get their kids into the school and then buy elsewhere outside the catchment. Whether the actually would I can't say but they were very specific about this when we went to look around that particular school.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:43 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartinis
We were definetly told by Frankston High school that if we moved out of the catchment area then they reserved the right to ask the boys to leave at the end of the academic year. They said they had to do this because they had so many people who would rent to get their kids into the school and then buy elsewhere outside the catchment. Whether the actually would I can't say but they were very specific about this when we went to look around that particular school.
I know plenty of people (Grandparents) near us who are supplying addresses for their children to get their children into the local schools.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I know plenty of people (Grandparents) near us who are supplying addresses for their children to get their children into the local schools.
The good schools with the good reputations know all about these dodges believe me and are quite open about how they feel about people trying to con the system. As previous people have said some won't even let you look around the school unless they have to. I'm sure some people do get places this way but all I am saying is that these schools aren't stupid and if your caught it will ultimately only be your kids that suffer. Personally I wouldn't risk it. Rent in the catchment by all means, but do ask what happens if your child moves out of it whilst already attending the school. We didn't risk it so I can't say whether they would have gone through with the threat, if the kids are doing well and look as if they are going to get a good VCE score then I'm sure they would probably allow them to stay, we all hate to say it but scores to these schools are VERY important.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are two good state secondary schools in Glen Waverley, Glen Waverley High having the better reputation and very strict about zoning, we looked at this school, but it has over 2,000 pupils, who start and stop and have breaks at different times as they cant all fit in the grounds at the one time.

We then looked at Brentwood (Glen waverley), (has around 1,200 pupils), with some of the aussie kids travelling up to 20km to go there, which was before the became strict about zoning, but slightly easier to get a rental, also good reputation where my child goes. We pay $350 per week for a 3 bedroom house, that is from the 70's, and the kitchen, oh, dont get me started, but we are now on good terms with the owners, am sure they could now get around $400 per week for it. This is one of the reason i aint too fond of aus, we had a small mortgage in scotland and my two girls went to schools there that could easily match some of the good private schools here, oh hindsight is a great thing!!!

We looked at Mount Waverley and Mackinnon, but couldnt get a rental there, my first choice was mackinnon secondary college, but the estate agents practically laughed in our faces when we tried for a rental there, we didnt get a look in at mackinnon.

On the whole we found it verrrrrrrryyyyyy difficult to get a rental, did all the usual recommended stuff, six month rent upfront, attached bank accounts , filled in applications in advance ready to hand to estate agent at inspections.

As said above , the good state schools are obsessed with vce results, and will try to turf your kid out in year 10,(as Brentwood has done) if they dont hit the grade.

Goodluck in your search.

Last edited by Margaret3; Feb 12th 2009 at 2:51 am.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:29 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Balwyn and Balwyn North not as good areas to buy as hawthorn, Camberwell, Malvern (and other of the surroundings areas) and this is reflected in the property prices. Does it have to be East of the City or would you consider other areas? Bayside? I only say that area as I live here and have plenty of friends with children who are all pretty much happy with the schools their children attend.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
We ended up enrolling at East Doncaster Sec School. When we did this we were asked to show them the rental agreement (which had to be long term 6/12 months). Not sure what they would want for home owners, but I am sure something would be required for proof.

We have been told we lose the place if we move out the area, but no idea if they will enforce it.

Recently, friends of ours were 3 houses out of the zone and were refused a place.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Thanks everyone!! Really appreciate all the feedback given. We've budgetted for everything from house to school to all living expenses (our Oz plans extend back 11 years and it appears we are now finally moving towards achieving our dream).

As regards admissions - If a child is exceptionally bright, would her previous school reports/results help at least a little in the admission process? Or do they just don't give a hoot as it is the UK/GCSE curriculum? If we don't manage to rent in our chosen suburb (adn she does not get into MacRob) then we will try MGGS. I guess scholarships are out of question - so I won't even go there - will budget for this expense instead!

Thanks for the links to the VCE school results - now have to guzzle some black coffee and figure out the suburb and school that fits us best.

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Balwyn and Balwyn North not as good areas to buy as hawthorn, Camberwell, Malvern (and other of the surroundings areas) and this is reflected in the property prices. Does it have to be East of the City or would you consider other areas? Bayside? I only say that area as I live here and have plenty of friends with children who are all pretty much happy with the schools their children attend.
Ooops! In what way are Balwyn North are not as good areas?

For us - the main criteria is proximity to good schools (secondary and primary). Ideally we would like to eventually buy in the same area we rent - am hoping that the house prices come down a bit!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:00 am
Has left the building

Originally Posted by carlap
We ended up enrolling at East Doncaster Sec School. When we did this we were asked to show them the rental agreement (which had to be long term 6/12 months). Not sure what they would want for home owners, but I am sure something would be required for proof.

We have been told we lose the place if we move out the area, but no idea if they will enforce it.

Recently, friends of ours were 3 houses out of the zone and were refused a place.
hmmm we have been given different account from our local state school (while our daughter now goes to another private we viewed as short list). They said once your in your in and cannot be taken out even if you move away.

Not sure about rental agreement requirements - the friends I know provide evidence through having their bank statements and other non utility board items sent to their parents - but they could even pay the bills for their parents and be quids up.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Parkville would be the best, with University High school, trouble is you would be spending a minimum of around 800 bucks a week upwards to live in the catchment.

Carlton/Fitzroy could be a goer as well, with Princess hill Secondary college.... Although PHSC is very arty crafty, with strong socialist leanings, still figures very highly in the state academic results.

Northcote High were my kids go, could be affordable, definitely in the top 1/3rd of schools in Melbourne.

They would be the top 3 choices in the Urban enviornment of the inner north, Brunswick High is now moving into the top 1/3rd as well.

Just checked the rents, and only Brunswicks catchment would be affordable, with a 4 bedroom house. Northcote 4 bedrooms are 800 bucks as well now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.