Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne suburbs

Melbourne suburbs

Old Mar 30th 2004, 8:25 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne suburbs

Can anybody suggest some nice (and not too expensive) Melbourne suburbs? All being well we'll be heading that way at the end of the year but haven't a clue where to go / avoid. Any suggestions welcome.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne suburbs

Hiya

I didn't know you were heading towards Melbourne, have you got family there? I've never even been but I have been doing loads of research into the suburbs, so I'm sure that I can help. If you do a search, there is loads of info on the suburbs, plenty of great info provided by Oztennis.

I assumed that hubby would be working in the city, so I have been looking at suburbs within about 40 mins max commuting time. I checked the train times on www.victrip.com.au. The furthest out was Aspendale. Apparently the s.east coast is the best, although quite expensive. Springvale is not a good place from what I have heard. Depends on what you're after really and how much dosh you've got. You haven't got children, so you don't have to consider schools.

Have you looked at some real estate sites?

www.realestate.com.au
www.domain.com.au - this gives a great suburb profile.

Good luck. By the way, I thought you were gonna send me some info on BCS?
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:41 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Hi

We have recently (6 weeks today) moved to Melbourne. We are living currently in Rye on the mornington penninsula. We first stayed with friends in Rosebud 10 mins nearer the city from here.

Now it depends where you want to get work. Our jobs (office admin and civil engineer) will most probably mean a commute into the city. We are looking at moving nearer to a train station however you may be near but still may need a car to drive you there as distances are so huge here!! Not like UK where you would walk.

Anyway we are looking at Somerville which is near to Frankston but still at the tip of the mornington penninsula. Our friends live down here and the beaches and scenery is worth the hour commute.

I would agree with noodle about Springvale we were told the same also carrum downs. Richmond is not meant to be too nice but I am only going on what others have told me.

We looked at Clayton and Ormond not sure what they are like as areas but we have been to both for job interviews and they seemed very multi cultural.

I would advise rent somewhere first (what we are doing) once you have found permanent jobs (and in the mean time between arriving and finding work) drive around areas nearer to your work place and get a feel for the place and the prices.

That is pretty much what we are doing once one of gets work we will look at renting in Somerville.

I attach a doc that shows the train network and also prices to commute

$190 for a month from zone 3 to zone 1 is not that much when you consider that a drive for 1hr to work and back x2 costs about $40 of fuel.

If you have any areas in mind just ask and my aussie friends may have an idea of what its like.

Jo
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:47 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry here is the attachment

Jo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
fares_travel_2004[1].pdf (355.7 KB, 419 views)
Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wmoore
Can anybody suggest some nice (and not too expensive) Melbourne suburbs? All being well we'll be heading that way at the end of the year but haven't a clue where to go / avoid. Any suggestions welcome.

There are quite a few posts on here about the different parts of Melbourne - type it into the search engine.

I'd go for any Bayside suburb (Bayside is a local authority name),

If you go to Parkdale and Mentone, which are just past the more expensive areas on the bay and before you get too far from the city, I think you may do well and these areas are next on the list for silly price increases. Both are on the rail line and have there own sence of village, also some very good schools, St Bedes, Mentone grammer etc
Old Mar 31st 2004, 5:00 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the help everyone
Originally posted by noodle
Hiya

I didn't know you were heading towards Melbourne, have you got family there?
No. Originally we were heading Brisbane way but those nice people in Victoria have my skills on their in-demand list, so I've applied to them for state nomination.
Originally posted by noodle
Have you looked at some real estate sites?

www.realestate.com.au
www.domain.com.au - this gives a great suburb profile.
Yes but it's a bit confusing without know where places are. These sites don't always seem to list anywhere I can pinpoint on a map! I've been using www.whereis.com.au to find out how far places are from the city centre but it still doesn't tell you where it actually is.
Originally posted by noodle Good luck. By the way, I thought you were gonna send me some info on BCS?
Ooops! I have done now. Sent you an email with the thread I had with the BCS. Start at the bottom and work up.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 5:39 am
Part of that group......

vickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant future

Hi

We to are moving to Melbourne in August and like Wmoore we have no idea where to go. We have had Ringwood suggested does anyone know anything about here.?? Unlike Wmoore we do have 2 children so schools are important as we can't keep moving till we find somewhere we like !! Hubby will be working in the city and doesn't find a 45-60 train journey (it's what he's had here !! ) shorter would be good .

Many Thanks in advance

Cheers

VickeyVixen

PS. Hope you don't mind me hijacking your Thread Wmoore....
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

We are hoping to move out to Melb in early September and for some time now we've been looking at houses on www.realestate.com.au. We like the look of the houses in the following 'burbs: Mentone, Balwyn, Templestowe, Black Rock, Wonga Park, Mount Eliza (though this is a bit far away from the city), Mordialloc, Nunawading, Glen Waverley and Berwick. I've heard on previous threads that you should maybe think twice about Dandenong, Frankston and 'burbs to the west of the city.
Neil
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:25 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally posted by vickeyvixen
PS. Hope you don't mind me hijacking your Thread Wmoore....
Hey not at all.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Neil S
We like the look of the houses in the following 'burbs: Mentone, Balwyn, Templestowe, Black Rock, Wonga Park, Mount Eliza (though this is a bit far away from the city), Mordialloc, Nunawading, Glen Waverley and Berwick. I've heard on previous threads that you should maybe think twice about Dandenong, Frankston and 'burbs to the west of the city.
Neil

Mentone is on the train line (about 30 mins to town) and is quite nice beside the sea, nearly bought there, will probably go up in price over the next few years, plenty of good schools. Easy to commute to the city.

Mordialloc is just a bit further out , less to offer than Mentone, has a nice harbour and good for fishing, bit of a one street town and that street is a major highway.

Balwyn has excellwent state secondary school so if buying there buy in the Balwyn High school zone. Land locked suburb so no seaside . Bloke in work lives in North Balwyn calls it Noth Boring. Overall you would not go too far wrong there.

Black Rock is not on the rail line, look closer in at Sandringham, Hampton or Brighton (all much better) or go around the head to Mentone and get more for your money and a train station. Black Rock is nice and again a good spot if you don't need the train.

Mt Eliza is where all the millionaires are supposed to live, too far from town for me.

Glen Waverely is okish, crap public transport and landlocked.

Don't know the others well enough to comment but they are in growth areas so there will be plenty of new houses and little supporting infrastructure.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

[
Templestowe has a nice park- we had the first Melbourne meet there . Jeannie1 lives in Berwick she might be able to help you?
I agree with NJFOZ Bayside is lovely. I drove through MT Eliza lovely but a bit far to commute?!
Someone on this forum sells a dvd of the suburbs on ebay - that might give you a better view too?
here's afew links to keep you going

http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/ncas/m.../brighton.html
http://melbourne.citysearch.com.au/profile?id=22210&p=1

http://www.melbournesbays.org/highli...es/beaches.htm

http://www.bayside.vic.gov.au/index.html

http://www.bayside.vic.gov.au/Documents/Brighton.pdf

http://www.brighton.vic.edu.au/entrance.htm

http://www.domain.com.au/

Helinuk
Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:38 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally posted by helinuk
here's afew links to keep you going
Helinuk
Thanks a lot. That should keep the missus quiet for a while