Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne suburbans comparison

Melbourne suburbans comparison

Old Jul 14th 2003, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne suburbans comparison

Can you tell me why houses in the North area (Lalor, etc.) are realtively more expensive than those of East area (Wantirna, etc.)?

And if there is any place can be considered (relatively) slum area, where are they? You know, places which you want to avoid to live.

Thanks.
Wil
Old Jul 14th 2003, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

Wil,

It is just like everywhere else. Location, quality of local schools, distance from city centre, public transport, age of area, size of houses - a lot of lots have been split up into units so the size of your garden may be small, etc, etc, etc.
As for areas to avoid I would let someone else answer....

Ken and Nel
Melbourne ASAP
Old Jul 15th 2003, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kenand Nel
Wil,

It is just like everywhere else. Location, quality of local schools, distance from city centre, public transport, age of area, size of houses - a lot of lots have been split up into units so the size of your garden may be small, etc, etc, etc.
As for areas to avoid I would let someone else answer....

Ken and Nel
Melbourne ASAP
Thanks.

Which parts of Melbourne that have good quality of local schools?
Old Jul 15th 2003, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by willywh3r3
Thanks.

Willy,

The bible for looking for schools in Victoria is the Age Good Schools Guide. I bought it when I was out there last month and it lists all the secondary schools, state, catholic and private including detail of size and results.
It is a must!! You can buy this on line.

I used this as a firs
Old Jul 15th 2003, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by willywh3r3
Thanks.

Willy,

The bible for looking for schools in Victoria is the Age Good Schools Guide. I bought it when I was out there last month and it lists all the secondary schools, state, catholic and private including detail of size and results.
It is a must!! You can buy this on line.

I used this as a first step to picking where we are planning to stay and got it down to 3 ares - McKinnon, Balwyn or Vermont. This is my opinion based on results, location and gut feel from visiting 14 schools, there are many others....but beware ot the poor ones.

There was also a full results listing in The Age on June 2nd 2003 which you could try to find from www.theage.com.au

Most good schools are zoned so you have to live in the zone to get in. And the housing is expensive round the better schools.

The book also ggives an explanation of the VCE - Victoria Certificate of Education which you must read 10 times before you understand it!

Ken and Nel
Melbourne ASAP