Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - Which Suburb?

Melbourne - Which Suburb?

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice
Default Melbourne - Which Suburb?

Hi,
I'm hoping to emigrate to Melbourne later this year and would like to be able to have a shortlist of possible suburbs in which to live before I get there. But I'm having great trouble finding enough information to be able to judge the various merits of each area!

Here is a list of features I'm looking for:

- Close to public transport into the city with a regular service
- ideally somewhere with some green spaces, not too built up and quiet
- need not be too close to the city, up to 30-45mins into the city by public transport
- good beach nearby
- houses in the AUD500K-700K bracket

Please let me know the pros and cons of where you live, I've read a few postings on other forums and Patterson Lakes and Nunawading possibly fit the bill. Berwick has loads of families - rowdy kids?!

Alternatively, can anyone point me in the direction of any websites
which could enlighten me futher?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give.

Neil
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:04 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Melbourne - Which Suburb?

Originally posted by Neil S
Hi,
I'm hoping to emigrate to Melbourne later this year and would like to be able to have a shortlist of possible suburbs in which to live before I get there. But I'm having great trouble finding enough information to be able to judge the various merits of each area!

- need not be too close to the city, up to 30-45mins into the city by public transport
- good beach nearby

Please let me know the pros and cons of where you live, I've read a few postings on other forums and Patterson Lakes and Nunawading possibly fit the bill. Berwick has loads of families - rowdy kids?!

Neil
Heres a link to Real Estate in that area.
Just select your suburb and price ranges, etc.

To get some demographics of the area look at www.homepriceguide.com.au/snapshot/ and puit the postcode in the 2nd box half way down the page.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

To get some demographics of the area look at www.homepriceguide.com.au/snapshot/ and puit the postcode in the 2nd box half way down the page.
Stayed at my Uncles, in Patterson Lakes 3 years ago.Lovely area,uncles garden went straight on to sea ,boat moored at bottom of garden,fished of garden every day,are what memorys.He sold that house about 2 years ago for $620.000 due to personel reasons and moved nearer my cousins in Langwarrin,another area i found really nice.Hopefully we will be moving to Langwarrin soon .Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

gary2rep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

Neil, i was recently in Melbourne and stayed in the Narre Warren South region. I found it great for commuting to Melbourne city centre and also handy to get to the beaches.
Have you tried the website realestate.com.au ?. I visited a place called Sorrento which was beautiful and i believe that you could get a cracking property for your budget.
Best of Luck
Gary
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Hi,

- good beach nearby

Neil
Neil,

I've sent you a pm

Andy.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really niceAussiepeter is just really nice

Go south of Melbourne.
Try Cheltenham or Mentone.
Cheltenham has the largest shopping mall in Australia.
Plenty of parks and only 5min{by car} from the bay with
a great innercity beach at Mentone.
Travel by train to the centre of city 35min.
Trains every 20min.
Beautiful and clean and very safe.
I have lived all over Melbourne and settled here 20 years ago.
House prices are from $350000 to a milllion{Aus} on the beach.
Please post any questions you want answered.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Williem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by thfc
Stayed at my Uncles, in Patterson Lakes 3 years ago.Lovely area,uncles garden went straight on to sea ,boat moored at bottom of garden,fished of garden every day,are what memorys.He sold that house about 2 years ago for $620.000 due to personel reasons and moved nearer my cousins in Langwarrin,another area i found really nice.Hopefully we will be moving to Langwarrin soon .Fingers crossed.
I lived in the Patterson Lakes area 11 years ago, lovely place, same as you nice boat mooring ( no boat mind ) you can fish off, but a real hassle to get home to in the early hours from the city.
Nearly an hour on the train to commute into the CBD.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

- good beach nearby

Neil
Neil

Have you considered Williamstown? It is by the sea with the best views in Melbourne across the bay to the city and hills (southern suburbs mainly just look out to sea), it has trains every 20 mins to the city which take 20 mins to get there etc. You would be struggling to get anything directly on the seafront for your budget (median suburb price about $660K) but of course property prices fall as you move away from the water. It seems to me that most of the places others have suggested are too far out if commuting in 30 to 45 minutes is important. I've posted lots of other things in this forum on other Melbourne threads so a search will turn up more.

http://www.williweb.net/

http://www.williamstowninfo.com.au/

OzTennis