Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Schools

Melbourne Schools

Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice
Default Melbourne Schools

Hi,
My name is Kim and I'm using my husbands PC without him knowing!
We are emigrating to Melbourne later this year from the UK. Anyone with their little one at a Primary State or Private school they are impressed with, please let us know where and why? Looking for small classes (under 20), good teaching, positive approach to children, single year age group classes where children move up every year regardless of ability. If possible, I'd like to know about schools which go from 6-16 or 18 years with a structured reading scheme where they read most days with flashcards and phonics and where spelling is taught as a priority with basic maths and science. Don't want my child having to do homework at weekends as in UK.
I was a teacher in the UK for 20 years, but don't understand the term 'composite class', what is it?
I understand primary children in Victoria have to learn one other language. Which languages are available?
Many thanks in advance.
Kim
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Schools

Originally posted by Neil S
Hi,
My name is Kim and I'm using my husbands PC without him knowing!
We are emigrating to Melbourne later this year from the UK. Anyone with their little one at a Primary State or Private school they are impressed with, please let us know where and why? Looking for small classes (under 20), good teaching, positive approach to children, single year age group classes where children move up every year regardless of ability. If possible, I'd like to know about schools which go from 6-16 or 18 years with a structured reading scheme where they read most days with flashcards and phonics and where spelling is taught as a priority with basic maths and science. Don't want my child having to do homework at weekends as in UK.
I was a teacher in the UK for 20 years, but don't understand the term 'composite class', what is it?
I understand primary children in Victoria have to learn one other language. Which languages are available?
Many thanks in advance.
Kim
Hi Kim and wait 'til Neil finds out you're using his PC.

Composite class just means more than one year group in the same class eg P1 and P2. You said you are looking for a single year age group so you don't want a composite class in other words. You will probably find that some school have composite classes, not because the number of pupils is too low to have single age groups but because they want the children to mix with those of a different age - and have 'buddies' or mentoring etc.

The other language will of course be mainly Asian - Indonesian is popular because it is relatively easy to learn but also Japanese, Vietnamese (some schools have this as the first language!) as well as French. My sister-in-law is a French and Indonesian teacher for example (in secondary).

I wouldn't attempt to recommend a 'good' school and will leave it to the others to comment on this and latest teaching methods in primary. The Garretts seem to be impressed with the primary school their children are at - at Rowville. Do a search on schools, primary etc and see what comes up.

The other issue which will crop up is whether you want a private school or a state school. Only you can answer this but others will probably say you have a greater chance of finding your requirements at a private school.

Good luck.

OzTennis