Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Prices Cooling Down

Melbourne Prices Cooling Down

Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:05 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne Prices Cooling Down

Property X on market in Oct 2005 $890K. Change in Agents March 2006 $750K, May $710K, June $690K, Today offers of $650 will be taken.

nothing wrong with house - clean tidy large 3+2 in Malvern East.

Also in last 3 weekends have attended a few auctions and although large turnout not much activity - mainly neighbours having a nosey.

Any one else finding this?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Prices Cooling Down

Originally Posted by thebears
Property X on market in Oct 2005 $890K. Change in Agents March 2006 $750K, May $710K, June $690K, Today offers of $650 will be taken.

Also in last 3 weekends have attended a few auctions and although large turnout not much activity - mainly neighbours having a nosey.

I have a theory that about nine months from now could the the optimum time to sell up in Perth and move to Victoria.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

No - I very much get the impression Melb prices have held or even increased (unlike Sydney). I know there are some areas where prices may have dipped a little but generally this is not the case and indeed the sales figures confirm this to be the case. We have had two houses sell nearby to us for $1m+ in the last month - even the agents were suprised with one of them. And the "sticky-beakers" always turn out in droves at auctions. When we bought last Oct there must have been 100+ people on the front lawn - but only 5 of us bidding!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
No - I very much get the impression Melb prices have held or even increased (unlike Sydney). I know there are some areas where prices may have dipped a little but generally this is not the case and indeed the sales figures confirm this to be the case. We have had two houses sell nearby to us for $1m+ in the last month - even the agents were suprised with one of them. And the "sticky-beakers" always turn out in droves at auctions. When we bought last Oct there must have been 100+ people on the front lawn - but only 5 of us bidding!
Indeed. Where I live is continuing to rise because people will pay premiums for good "old fashioned" acreage and lifestyle less than 1 hr from the CBD. This may be even more protracted in years to come.

Other outlying burbs appear to have stabilised a while back.

I regularly sneaky-beak at auctions - I like watching the agents and their spiel.

I can well see that inner burbs have decreased.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

I think a lot of the properties seem overpriced, especially the subdivided blocks with anything upto 4 townhouses built on them with no garden. I know it's not everybody who wants a garden, but in a few years there will be no decent size blocks left!

We looked at some townhouses (attached) and they had cheap interiors, from flooring to kitchens and they wanted top dollar, needless to say they have not been sold.

We have been looking for a couple of months and have been to a few auctions that have been passed in. As you say there can be a large turnout, one on Saturday had over 30 people and only 1 person bid.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Bird
I think a lot of the properties seem overpriced, especially the subdivided blocks with anything upto 4 townhouses built on them with no garden. I know it's not everybody who wants a garden, but in a few years there will be no decent size blocks left!

We looked at some townhouses (attached) and they had cheap interiors, from flooring to kitchens and they wanted top dollar, needless to say they have not been sold.

We have been looking for a couple of months and have been to a few auctions that have been passed in. As you say there can be a large turnout, one on Saturday had over 30 people and only 1 person bid.
Hey Big Bird long time no see Still enjoying life in the Western Suburbs?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:53 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live (near to TNQR) prices are still very much on the up. It just depends where you are looking i suppose
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:07 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
Where we live (near to TNQR) prices are still very much on the up. It just depends where you are looking i suppose

WTF is TNQR ? Sounds like a nuclear plant or something. Do I live near it to?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Hey Big Bird long time no see Still enjoying life in the Western Suburbs?
We love it in the West and we are well and truely settled!

I just can't believe that we have been here for 7 months!

Sent pm.

Big Bird
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:11 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to an agent today about a property that we didnt get a chance to attend the auction and found it had been passed in at Auction and now withdrawn.

The agents say the market value is 680K (based on a written offer) but the sellers still wanted 750K. This is the first time I have had an agent now say the market will not be rising up to their expectations.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:25 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Do they have electricity over the west yet??

Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bordy

Ya cheeky sod!

Well actually last Monday we did not, apparently a possom decided it wanted to be fried and we were blacked out for a couple of hours :scared:

We are so poor over here, we don't have any traffic lights!!!!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Only 9-5, apparently the hamsters were threatening to strike if their pay and conditions weren't improved so unfortunately we have to rely on candles in the evenings while it is all sorted out
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:38 am
The Godfather

Ya cheeky sod!

Well actually last Monday we did not, apparently a possom decided it wanted to be fried and we were blacked out for a couple of hours :scared:

We are so poor over here, we don't have any traffic lights!!!!
One day I'll venture over there & see if its as scary as they say.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

One day I'll venture over there & see if its as scary as they say.

Make sure you bring your torch

But we do ge a fantastic view of the city from this side and NO traffic lights!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.