Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne plumbers

Melbourne plumbers

Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:13 am
Just Joined

KelvinandVanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne plumbers

Can you give us some advise please? OH was on BE last night reading a lot of posts about plumbers that have gone over and are on rubbish wage, and are getting all the crap jobs and are treated like apprentices again, also they were saying that you almost have to get re-trained to get your licence, all a bit worrying, also just found out that he has to take about four exams to pass the vetassess, which he's not impressed with which im sure a lot of you are in the same boat, more money!:curse: When ever we plan to do something with are lives there is always a massive hurdle to get over, nothing seems to go smoothly and straight forward. We are worried that we will get over there and not be able to afford to live with such a low income:curse: Feeling peed off today. Any English plumbers out there that can tell us a success story, and thats its not that bad in Melbourne please help!
Vanessa
Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:46 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne plumbers

[QUOTE=KelvinandVanessa;5359390]Can you give us some advise

the only plumber i heard about in vic couldnt get a licence so he worked emptying sea containers
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:16 pm

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

do a search for a poster called fraser and plumbing! that should answer your question
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

leew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jackass
do a search for a poster called fraser and plumbing! that should answer your question
I am a plumber in qld i have been here 9 months , the first job i had was only 23.00 an hour i am now working for construction company and take home on average 1100.00 a week , what you have to remember things here are slightly different and you have to do things the pz way and if that means a sillycourse on poor wages to start with then you have to take that first rung of the ladder (unless you get very lucky ), but once you get up and running and a bit of experience under your belt you will find it very easy to move from job to job and you will her the ozzy's saying i got flogged today before you have even broken sweat ,but its there rules so you have to play the game then play them its easy
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:34 pm

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

Originally Posted by leew1019
I am a plumber in qld i have been here 9 months , the first job i had was only 23.00 an hour i am now working for construction company and take home on average 1100.00 a week , what you have to remember things here are slightly different and you have to do things the pz way and if that means a sillycourse on poor wages to start with then you have to take that first rung of the ladder (unless you get very lucky ), but once you get up and running and a bit of experience under your belt you will find it very easy to move from job to job and you will her the ozzy's saying i got flogged today before you have even broken sweat ,but its there rules so you have to play the game then play them its easy

i agree but remember getting a licence in queensland is different to getting a licence in victoria. different ball game altogether. i would say queensland is pretty easy and if you are corgi then piece of cake. victoria - vey difficult to get licence. i havent tried of course, just what i gather from reading posts!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

leew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the rough

i agree but remember getting a licence in queensland is different to getting a licence in victoria. different ball game altogether. i would say queensland is pretty easy and if you are corgi then piece of cake. victoria - vey difficult to get licence. i havent tried of course, just what i gather from reading posts!
you can get a provisional licence with uk qualifications but you still have to do a plumbing course thats not just a paperwork exercise but not hard for a determinded tradesman /woman to stay correct and equall hahah gas i will let you know next week going to see about licence
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:53 pm

you can get a provisional licence with uk qualifications but you still have to do a plumbing course thats not just a paperwork exercise but not hard for a determinded tradesman /woman to stay correct and equall hahah gas i will let you know next week going to see about licence
no worries kiddo - hubbie has his gas licence he got it on the spot - just showed his corgi card. he has got provisional plumbing licence but hasnt taken it any further because gas is his field anyway. we are queensland by the way.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

no worries kiddo - hubbie has his gas licence he got it on the spot - just showed his corgi card. he has got provisional plumbing licence but hasnt taken it any further because gas is his field anyway. we are queensland by the way.
yeh we are qld to we are in reland bay whare are you i was mostly gas in uk scottish gas and other
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:07 pm

yeh we are qld to we are in reland bay whare are you i was mostly gas in uk scottish gas and other
we are Far North where its hot and humid. hubbie was s/e but subbied for BG, B&Q and MoD a fair bit.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

we are Far North where its hot and humid. hubbie was s/e but subbied for BG, B&Q and MoD a fair bit.
how long have you beenout here ?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:23 pm

how long have you beenout here ?
this is second attempt. were at sunshine coast last year but went back uk (long story). been out here only 4 months! what about you?
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:10 am
Just Joined

moron 63 will become famous soon enoughmoron 63 will become famous soon enough

Hi vanessa i am a gas fitter in melbourne have been ere 9wks i am in the process of getting my license biggest problem is time scale 4to5wks to face panel .i am corgi back home they reconise it but still have take prac test (gas testing their way ) & written test with OPEN gas book AS5601-2004asap go to vicplumbing camblefield & they will advise but get above book while there & start studyig now i cant wait for exam in order to show aussies what good engineer they been missing ! just a quick note, aussies are so freindly & helpful you will have no problems hope this helps you all the best moron63
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:40 am
Just Joined

tailwind is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Re: Licensing not so easy in Victoria??!!! Agreed - my OH currently sitting a two day mech services assessment in VIC - and he's not happy, he's got over 25 years experience and a shed load of qualies to prove it but he still has to do it the aussies way - so our his advice is don't under estimate the aussie way of doing things! - Its all gas welding here too and the tools/fittings etc are shall we say are somewhat primitive?? they may be practically 20 years behind but as yet don't appear to want to embrace a better way any time soon!

My advice - if you find it difficult to even think of the prospect of being thought of as less than an apprentice, working for less than $700 whilst learning the Aussie way - I'd think long and hard - it isn't easy especially if you are top of your game in the UK - but then again there's opportunity everywhere if you don't have "job mentality" working for yourself is always an option!

He'll no doubt have a rant later after his first day - I'll say where's the Dunkirk spirit then?!!! won't print his expected reply - but "it'll be right!"

PS its only been 7 weeks!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Problem with all of this is, the last Plumber I called to my house, a self employed aussie one. Charged me 410 bucks to clear a sewer drain, he was here for less than half an hour, When I complained about the cost, he showed me his book which was full of addresses and receipts with about the same price.

Now how the gap comes about between newbies and established ones, I'll leave you to ponder.

Every plumber I know of here is a wealthy person. Up with Orthodontists and Surgeons etc.

Like I've said in other threads, It takes a good 5 years to establish yourself.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 10th 2007 at 5:53 am.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 12:28 am
Just Joined

tailwind is an unknown quantity at this point

You are absolutley right! Quick update - OH passed his Mechanical Services reg exam! so he can now do the 3hr license one! Type A & B gas fitting to follow, then Dom Hot Water, electrical reconnect/disconnect & red card - after all that he'll have pretty much what he had in the UK except Corgi/6th Edition is way more advanced . Its a pity they just don't do a "conversion course" I'm sure Corgi/PICcould come up with something after all there would a good demand £££/$$$!

It'll all take time but he should come out with what he needs to Sub Contract - word has it that plumbers with licenses like these or access to someone who has appears to be well off in aussies terms so there's hope!

Having gone throught this process and about to experience the license exams etc. we'll have a bit more of experience so let us know if we can help anyone about to do the same!