Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - Glen Waverley, Rowville, etc

Wikiposts

Melbourne - Glen Waverley, Rowville, etc

Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:48 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne - Glen Waverley, Rowville, etc

Originally Posted by floss
I've just read on another thread that the area around Glen Waverley is known for being windy and VERY wet??? Does this hold true out your way too??
That sounds like advice from someone who has never been there.
No Floss GW is no windier or wetter than Ferntree Gully. I can see Glen Waverley when sitting out on my back decking so its not that far away although not sure the primary school over there would be in your catchment area if you lived in upper FTG or Tecoma.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:52 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by floss
Just a quick note to say I've spent the last 24 hours with my nose either wedged in the melbourne street directory or up against the computer screen - can't thank you guys enough for all of your info... mind's boggling and kids are calling me "wait a minute mum" as that's all I've been saying to them...

Does anyone know the roads well enough to hazard a guess whether a daily school run between, say, Upper Ferntree Gully/Tecoma..... and central Glen Waverley (Highvale schools - sort of between High Street Road & Highbury Road, near (but no going on!!) Springvale road) would be an utter nightmare, or possible!!??

Also, what about driving to Southbank area in CBD - I see freeway on the map but is it just another big carpark in the rush hour!

Thanks for the various offers for me to PM - I may well do this once I've got my head around all the details that have come forth so far!!

Oops - must go and cook these poor starving children supper..... it's not that the forum is taking over my life but.....
As Bordy says Glen Waverley is no windier or wetter than any other SE suburb, and you definitely need to check catchment areas for schools as I know in Glen Waverley there is a 'school zone' where the houses cost more to buy/rent so people can get their kids into the schools they want.

Regarding the roads, if you have your street directory I live between Waverley and Ferntree Gully road a couple of blocks left of Springvale road. Springvale Road is, by Aussie standards a nightmare at rush hour, very busy as the Springvale/FTree Gully Road junction is the local freeway entrance/exit. The Burwood Highway is another main route to the Monash Freeway and is always busy, there are a lot of roadworks going on up to about 2km east of Springvale Road on the Burwood Highway, they are extending the tram line to Vermont South so that doesn't help at the moment.

Also be aware they have just started work on the Mitcham Frankston freeway www.mitchamfrankstonproject.com.au which will be crossing both Burwood Highway and High Street Road so roadworks there could be a problem in the next few years.

Regarding driving in to the CBD form Ferntree Gully I'd say you're looking at a trip of at least 20 minutes from there to the Monash Freeway in peak hour, the freeway isn't a nightmare at all. From Ferntree Gully Road entrance to the city in peak is usually around 35 mins, it is busy and it does move slowish but compared to UK rush hour traffic it's a breeze. I had to go for some interviews in Port Melbourne and the radio was aying the Monash was a 'nightmare' I left an hour to get there and it took me 40 mins in the end.

Bear in mind the freeway becomes a tollway at Toorak Road and to get to the Southbank if you come off at Punt Road or probably better Swan Street it is still a toll way till you reach the area around Rod Laver Arena. You're probably looking at about $3 a trip (one way) http://www.citylink.com.au, all the parking around Southbank and most of the city is either multistorey parking garages or meters, if your employer isn't providing a space then you are looking at around $20 a day http://www.iconparking.com.au/iconpa...t_end=n&skip=2

I'd say the best idea would be to get the train in, from Upper Ferntree Gully http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/t...rain&id=MTNBEG during peak times the trains run every 15 mins and it's around an hour to Flinders Street, they do weekly/monthly/yearly tickets and it would cost about $10 a day even if you never used the train at the weekends. Compared to the $26+petrol/wear and tear on a car and the hassle of finding a parking space I would go for the train without a doubt.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:55 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: Melbourne - Glen Waverley, Rowville, etc

Hate computers - just wrote witty response and buggery thing deleted it :scared:

What I tried to say is THANKS to flying banana and all other respondents (see, buggery computer, first attempt got all of your names in so I didn't sound like big heartless prat) - all your efforts and interest make me feel the world is a much smaller and friendlier place. Now just have to convince hubby that Melbourne is MUCH more interesting than Sydney.... especially as we can't afford a shoe box in Sydney!!

Point about school zones is well taken - working on it, but I think the best bet overall is to arrive (!), rent in Glen Waverley, get hubby and children settled in work/school routine, try to find work for "lil' ole me" and THEN see if we want to move futher out...

Can't thank you guys enough for all your imput - been checking my emai all day and feeling like billy-no-mates as no replies... but seems its my computer, not the forum, that's been letting me down. Hope to meet up with you all for one of these days... ...

ARGH! eldest daughter just appeared projectile vomiting pepperoni pizza. Not good. In my day it was always bit of carrot... now, lots of potatoe... anyone else noticed....? Will return when cleaner!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:10 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice

Sorry - vomiting temporarily under control - apologies to Bordy, Badge, Hup, Hevs etc for "forgetting" you in previous post... too much aussie red nectar and distraction from family members!!.. really do appreciate all your info - really can't imagine how I began to manage without the forum!

Okay, back to tend to family members and to prepare for BIG talk with hubby - why Melbourne is the way forward and Brisbane and Sydney (which we have already included in our trip over) are not... and how we can fit Melbourne into already "chockers" itinerary......?! Will report back with the outcome!!! Thanks again - especially for not making me "thread killer" floss!!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:17 am
Jammy Dodger

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
As Bordy says Glen Waverley is no windier or wetter than any other SE suburb, and you definitely need to check catchment areas for schools as I know in Glen Waverley there is a 'school zone' where the houses cost more to buy/rent so people can get their kids into the schools they want.

Regarding the roads, if you have your street directory I live between Waverley and Ferntree Gully road a couple of blocks left of Springvale road. Springvale Road is, by Aussie standards a nightmare at rush hour, very busy as the Springvale/FTree Gully Road junction is the local freeway entrance/exit. The Burwood Highway is another main route to the Monash Freeway and is always busy, there are a lot of roadworks going on up to about 2km east of Springvale Road on the Burwood Highway, they are extending the tram line to Vermont South so that doesn't help at the moment.

Also be aware they have just started work on the Mitcham Frankston freeway www.mitchamfrankstonproject.com.au which will be crossing both Burwood Highway and High Street Road so roadworks there could be a problem in the next few years.

Regarding driving in to the CBD form Ferntree Gully I'd say you're looking at a trip of at least 20 minutes from there to the Monash Freeway in peak hour, the freeway isn't a nightmare at all. From Ferntree Gully Road entrance to the city in peak is usually around 35 mins, it is busy and it does move slowish but compared to UK rush hour traffic it's a breeze. I had to go for some interviews in Port Melbourne and the radio was aying the Monash was a 'nightmare' I left an hour to get there and it took me 40 mins in the end.

Bear in mind the freeway becomes a tollway at Toorak Road and to get to the Southbank if you come off at Punt Road or probably better Swan Street it is still a toll way till you reach the area around Rod Laver Arena. You're probably looking at about $3 a trip (one way) http://www.citylink.com.au, all the parking around Southbank and most of the city is either multistorey parking garages or meters, if your employer isn't providing a space then you are looking at around $20 a day http://www.iconparking.com.au/iconpa...t_end=n&skip=2

I'd say the best idea would be to get the train in, from Upper Ferntree Gully http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/t...rain&id=MTNBEG during peak times the trains run every 15 mins and it's around an hour to Flinders Street, they do weekly/monthly/yearly tickets and it would cost about $10 a day even if you never used the train at the weekends. Compared to the $26+petrol/wear and tear on a car and the hassle of finding a parking space I would go for the train without a doubt.

Hope this helps
i love you & I love this forum! Thanks for all of this - I agree that the train is the best option but good to be armed with all this info for everything - compared to UK commute hubby is used to (2 and a half hours each way on a bad day) and the congestion charge of £5 (going up to £8 I believe) he may still like the comfort & convenience of his own car if he can cadge a parking space.... we'll see.... still, at least he can't say his usual "we'll see" as now I have that answers to ALL the questions!!! you have no idea how happy that makes me
Old Apr 9th 2005, 11:42 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I know what you mean about the UK commute vs commuting here, I lived in Worthing and worked at Gatwick for years, post 9/11 kept my job but got moved to Heathrow. Absolutely no way I could afford to move closer to work so had to put up with a 3 hour commute to and from work with a 12 hour shift. After another M25 accident and a 5 hour!!! drive to do 75 miles (110kms) it finally convinced me to put the visa application into action.

As I've said to others if you need any more info feel free to get in touch and if you do make it to Melbourne and want someone to show you round then glad to oblige.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 1:32 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
That sounds like advice from someone who has never been there.
No Floss GW is no windier or wetter than Ferntree Gully. I can see Glen Waverley when sitting out on my back decking so its not that far away although not sure the primary school over there would be in your catchment area if you lived in upper FTG or Tecoma.
Bordy, i'm not so sure......

They have decided to rip down the footy stands there (opposite the Glen, so not quite Glen Waverly though??) due to excessive wind and rain lashing through there. They are now building an all new singing dancing estate there and it certainly wouldn't be my choice to live (next door to the monash :scared: )

Also the Monash CAN be a total nightmare. I got on at Heatherton Rd to make a usual hour long door to door to the Airport. This was at 6.50am, i got to the airport at 8.40, it was a total nigtmare, no accidents, just sheer volume. (I was 40 mins late for the Outlaws)I also go to St Kilda Rd for training fairly reguarly, if the course starts at 9am i have to leave at 7.20, if it starts at 10am i can leave at 9am!! Also coming home at 4pm it takes under an hour, at five its over an hour and 1/2!!!

The train would defo be my first choice if i was to have to go to the CBD