Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Campervan Name Transfer

Campervan Name Transfer

Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:57 am
Just Joined

bodge75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Campervan Name Transfer

Could anybody give me some advice about buying a campevan? My girlfriend and I have bought a van and we intend to drive over to Perth on our travels where we would then sell it. We are currently in Sydney but intend to head off very soon, however we have a couple of questions:
The van has rego up until September this year and has WA plates, so we went to the RTA in Sydney to do the vehicle transfer (form MR 9) and proof of identity (form MR186). However the lady there said we would need to get the plates changed if we wanted to do that here at quite a high costs otherwise we would need to get to WA in the next 28 days to register it.
I am quite confused about all this as it seems a very silly way to do it and surely travellers would not have to do this everytime, can anybody give me any adive or direct me to somewhere that can help? Cheers
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:10 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Campervan Name Transfer

I'd suggest contacting the WA Motor department, maybe they can transfer ownership there ? But then you need a residential address in WA.
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m...buy/trans.html

It does sound a bit tricky.