Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - climate and suburbs

Melbourne - climate and suburbs

Old Nov 16th 2002, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne - climate and suburbs

Can anyone give me an idea of the year round climate of Melbourne, for example if it is similar to the climate of any European countries so that we can get a better idea. We've been told that the summer is longer, hotter and more reliable than UK, and the winters cold and wet, but shorter, kind of like Greece.

Also, suburbs we are considering are bayside Sandringham, Hampton, Black Rock, any info much appreciated.

Cheers Grotbags
Old Nov 16th 2002, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

try the search engine, keyword "melbourne"
Old Nov 17th 2002, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Grotbags,

Try http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...urne/index.htm
this will tell you a lot about Melbourne!

Cheers! Kaff xx
Old Nov 17th 2002, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

ooops!! Sorry that should have been destinations/australasia/melbourne but it didnt come out right, probably too long.

Kaff xx
Old Nov 17th 2002, 10:15 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - climate and suburbs

Well we haven't even gotten to the official first day of summer yet, but it's been 33 degrees today ...

There are details of the climate in Melbourne (and other cities in Australia) here, including a link to the Bureau of Meteorology:
http://www.gomatilda.com/personal_issues/weather.cfm

Best regards.

Originally posted by Grotbags
Can anyone give me an idea of the year round climate of Melbourne, for example if it is similar to the climate of any European countries so that we can get a better idea. We've been told that the summer is longer, hotter and more reliable than UK, and the winters cold and wet, but shorter, kind of like Greece.

Also, suburbs we are considering are bayside Sandringham, Hampton, Black Rock, any info much appreciated.

Cheers Grotbags
Old Jun 12th 2003, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by poggle
Hi Grotbags,

Try http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinat...urne/index.htm
this will tell you a lot about Melbourne!

Cheers! Kaff xx
works fine Kaff
Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by terryg
works fine Kaff
Hi all,

ive contacted the moderators to let them know but something weird is happening!!I never posted the 2 posts above with my details and avatar. dont know whats going on, but hope to find out soon. Has anyone else experienced problems like this at all?

Cheers!
Old Jun 14th 2003, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Try: www.visitvictoria.com

loads of info on Melbourne inc. info about suburbs
Old Jun 14th 2003, 5:28 am
Just Joined

dogged is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, im actually an aussie of british origin (both parents are poms)... im thinking about doing the working holiday thing.. been to england a few times and i really liked it (apart from the warm beer eheh)

anyway as for weather in melbourne.. the best place to get information is the bom(bureau of meteorology)..

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...ic_names.shtml

the above link is a great resource as it has averages that go back over 150 years in some palces..

currently i am living in kew - 10kms east of the CBD - (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_086060.shtml )

the average day time temp for june is 13.4.. right now it is 13.8.. which in my book is bloody cold!

when there is no cloud cover it does get very frosty and i have had to scape ice off my windscreen a few times.. the more you go inland the colder (at night) it gets..

as for rain fall you will find that sydney has more rainy days than melbourne, but we have a colder average temperature..
Old Jun 24th 2003, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Hi,

I'm from Sydney, now living in London, soon moving to Melbourne.

Closest to a cross between coastal Italian weather and London weather I think. And a bit like Greece. It's no surprise that Melbourne is full of Italian, Greek and British migrants!!

Melbourne weather is the most changeable in Oz (four seasons in one day) so it's certainly the most English-like weather in Oz. But it's warmer than Britain in both summer and winter. Unlike most of Oz, you do get four real seasons and autumn colours.

PS I've been reliably informed by my cousin in Adelaide that Adelaide is like Tuscany. Hot and dry in Summer - good for vineyards.