Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Climate?

Melbourne Climate?

Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Maximmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne Climate?

I'm currently in Adelaide and, after a year, am getting pretty tired of things. I'll not go into the whys and wherefores but to cut a long story short I just want to give another state a go.
I liked Melbourne a lot when I was there a couple of years ago and would like to move there but have heard bad things about the climate - too cold, wet etc. Can anyone give me an idea of the usual weather and temperatures that you get over there? Is it very humid? I like the idea of living down at the Mornington Peninsula (similar houses, similar prices to Adelaide hills) but is this too far out to stand a chance of getting a decent office job?
Any help from people living in Melbourne now would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:30 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne Climate?

Originally Posted by Maximmm
I'm currently in Adelaide and, after a year, am getting pretty tired of things. I'll not go into the whys and wherefores but to cut a long story short I just want to give another state a go.
I liked Melbourne a lot when I was there a couple of years ago and would like to move there but have heard bad things about the climate - too cold, wet etc. Can anyone give me an idea of the usual weather and temperatures that you get over there? Is it very humid? I like the idea of living down at the Mornington Peninsula (similar houses, similar prices to Adelaide hills) but is this too far out to stand a chance of getting a decent office job?
It certainly isn't too wet !!! If you want rain, go to QLD or NSW. It never stops there these days ;-)

Victoria looks to the rain-soaked north and asks: what about us?
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...578601362.html
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked Melbourne a lot when I was there a couple of years ago and would like to move there but have heard bad things about the climate - too cold, wet etc. ...
That's what happens when you talk to people from the other states.

Summers happen every year. Typically temperatures are in the 20s and 30s with a few really hot days. It's typically NOT humid and it usually cools off over night (which is good for sleeping).

Autumn is the best season. Temperatures are again typically in the 20s but without the really hot days.

Winter is cool but not really cold. Daytime temps are in the teens and overnight temps can get down to zero. You can get frost in some areas (e.g. Dandenongs) whereas the Mornington Peninsula is considered frost free.

Spring is changeable. Some days are warm like autumn while others are cool like winter. Towards the end of spring you may get some summer-like days. This is the season with the most rain.

Don't worry about the 4 seasons in 1 day. It's not a bad thing. In summer it's usually a cool change after a stinking hot day and in the other seasons it's usually a sunny afternoon after an overcast morning.

The only big surprises are the size of some of the changes (i.e. it can drop 20 degrees in a couple of hours) and that it's generally cool at night even in summer (so it's rare to sleep without your doona).

Personally I think the weather here is perfect. Not too cold, generally not too hot, generally not humid and the seasons are just the right length. We could do with a bit more rain.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Check out www.bom.gov.au for month by month climate details.

If you don't need to be near the coast, also consider the villages around the Dandenong Ranges (Upwey, Tecoma, Upper Ferntree Gully, The Basin etc), still good prices and 40-60 mins from the CBD.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:50 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Do you remember days from your holidays in Spain/Greece wherever when you woke up every morning and it was another blue sky sunny day?

That's what Melbourne's summers are like. The winters are also like that but obviously cooler. Melbourne is not a wet place at all.

Plenty of people commute to the CBD from the Mornington peninsula, would take you a minimum of 1 hour from the parts nearer the CBD.

Buzzy
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Plenty of people commute to the CBD from the Mornington peninsula, would take you a minimum of 1 hour from the parts nearer the CBD.

Buzzy
That would be by car, I guess. By public transport, the nearest train station is Frankston - train from there is 1 hour, then you have your travel either side. But, as Buzzy says, plenty do it.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:52 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Do you remember days from your holidays in Spain/Greece wherever when you woke up every morning and it was another blue sky sunny day?

That's what Melbourne's summers are like. The winters are also like that but obviously cooler. Melbourne is not a wet place at all.

Buzzy
Tut, tut.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Worse than Sydney - in fact everything is.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:14 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
Worse than Sydney - in fact everything is.
You're bait is a tad stale bad, poor fishing attempt
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Yes, sorry, I'm tired, got to get to bed, running out of ideas, I don't hate Melbourne anyway, it's given me Aussie Rules, remember watching some Rules blokes practicising on an oval in Alexandria (Sydney). They were running around about 100 MPH kicking, punching, punting three balls between them.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:53 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of Melbourne weather - its boxing day and TT and his mates are off to the MCG to watch the ashes test match. Its the height of summer so off we trek in shorts and t-shirt we find our seat half way up the new stand and proceed to freeze our bo%*ocks off for the rest of the day. If it got above zero (with the wind chill it was a bloody miracle). The next day we have learnt our lesson and off we go with jeans, jumper and a coat as you can probably guess it was about 35 degrees by lunch time so we head back to the hotel and get changed back into shorts and t-shirts! by day 3 we are totally baffled and havent a clue what to wear so we end up taking virtually everything!

Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Buzzy--Bee;5913271]Do you remember days from your holidays in Spain/Greece wherever when you woke up every morning and it was another blue sky sunny day?

You were rich we used to go to Clacton on Sea or Walton on the Naze

John
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
My experience of Melbourne weather - its boxing day and TT and his mates are off to the MCG to watch the ashes test match. Its the height of summer so off we trek in shorts and t-shirt we find our seat half way up the new stand and proceed to freeze our bo%*ocks off for the rest of the day. If it got above zero (with the wind chill it was a bloody miracle). The next day we have learnt our lesson and off we go with jeans, jumper and a coat as you can probably guess it was about 35 degrees by lunch time so we head back to the hotel and get changed back into shorts and t-shirts! by day 3 we are totally baffled and havent a clue what to wear so we end up taking virtually everything!

were west of melbourne, past geelong on the great ocean road. The weather is mostly lovely, but melbourne can be very changeable....just dress for all seasons, layering is the key....being english I'm used to this!!

The Mornington Peninsula is stunning and they now have a new road(so ive heard) that gives quicker access to Melbourne
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:56 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I'm English too and I only just survived the Boxing day it was bloody freezing (the coldest I have been in Australia by some distance). My two Queensland mates refused to get changed (mumbling something about boxing day, cricket and 40 degrees between chattering teeth) from shorts and a vest and fair play to them they sat there and froze.

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
were west of melbourne, past geelong on the great ocean road. The weather is mostly lovely, but melbourne can be very changeable....just dress for all seasons, layering is the key....being english I'm used to this!!

The Mornington Peninsula is stunning and they now have a new road(so ive heard) that gives quicker access to Melbourne
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I'm English too and I only just survived the Boxing day it was bloody freezing (the coldest I have been in Australia by some distance). My two Queensland mates refused to get changed (mumbling something about boxing day, cricket and 40 degrees between chattering teeth) from shorts and a vest and fair play to them they sat there and froze.
If you're talking about Boxing Day 2006 then it was even bloody cold in SE Qld. I remember being up at a family place on the Sunshine Coast all huddled indoors around a bar electric fire.

Personally i think Melbourne has a great climate. No one should ever get caught out by the sudden changes cos they are always in the forecast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.