Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne areas again?

Melbourne areas again?

Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about
Default Melbourne areas again?

Hello again folks.

I have been doing a bit of research on this wonderful forum and along with my wife we have decided that living close to the CBD is our preference.

The are some problems with this as I will be working in Geelong so the location would have to be within fairly easy reach of Geelong. I would be willing to spend 45-50 mins each way but don't want to do too much more. We also have 2 young boys aged 3 & 5 and would need a decent school close by.

The following things are our requirements in terms of housing.

3 bed house with garden

$350-400 per week rental

Close to a school

Close enough to all Melbourne's nightlife/culture/shopping/eating

If anyone can recommend inner burbs/locations that would be great, we could then narrow our search a bit.

All the best

Mike
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:07 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne areas again?

Originally Posted by Mike 3G
Hello again folks.

I have been doing a bit of research on this wonderful forum and along with my wife we have decided that living close to the CBD is our preference.

The are some problems with this as I will be working in Geelong so the location would have to be within fairly easy reach of Geelong. I would be willing to spend 45-50 mins each way but don't want to do too much more. We also have 2 young boys aged 3 & 5 and would need a decent school close by.

The following things are our requirements in terms of housing.

3 bed house with garden

$350-400 per week rental

Close to a school

Close enough to all Melbourne's nightlife/culture/shopping/eating

If anyone can recommend inner burbs/locations that would be great, we could then narrow our search a bit.

All the best

Mike

Have you been to Geelong?

Really it's not that bad.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Geelong has most of everything, and still remains largely as a country town (to which some people are attracted by a less frenetic lifestyle). It has been a manufacturing base for Ford but, it is experiencing a down turn, which will result in other support industries suffering too.

Geelong is a better proposition for accessing the surf coast and some really beautiful beaches...and...the town will probably be on another high shortly, if the Cats come home with the goods for a second year running...highly likely.

Do not be afraid of Geelong, housing should be more affordable than you would find in Melbourne.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies,

I don't have anything against Geelong as such and after our research thus far it would appear to be a pretty decent place.

The idea of living close enough to the action really is appealing, it might be that it would be too expensive or unsuitable for schooling etc.

It would be good to get some sort of idea at which areas within the city boundries would suit our needs.

Mike
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think Geelong is a very nice place and if I was working there I would live in the areas around. If you lived closer to Melbourne you would have to travel and public transport is under stress here in Melbourne these days. Also you would lose an hour each end of the day travelling and then find no time to do the things you want to do.

I would wait and see when you arrive as there are lots of suburbs on the way to Melbourne which you may like, Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook, Werribee.

Geelong has undergone a big refurbishment in recent years and they have made the city very nice.

Once you arrive you may decide you want to live the other side of Geelong which is very popular with the surfing set as its closer to the surf beaches, Bells etc.

Looking at Melbourne you would need to live Williamstown, Altona areas, Williamstown is very popular and pricey highly desired as are most of the suburbs within cooee of the city delights.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Yarraville area might suit you- it's only 7 km from the city and on a trainline, but well connected for the freeway out towards geelong (and much nicer than Altona and cheaper than Williamstown). It's got a good young vibe and good primary schools (though a bit lacking on the secondary front).

Last edited by hereshoping; Sep 14th 2008 at 11:58 pm. Reason: quoted wrong person!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:26 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Why not Caroline springs?

Lotza house for ya buck