Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Area - Please Help!

Melbourne Area - Please Help!

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:35 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne Area - Please Help!

This is a shout out to anyone around the Melbourne area who might be able to point me in the right direction. I guess there's loads of threads like this, but I've had a search through & am still no wiser

We need a beach life - wide open spaces on the doorstep, but in an area with plenty of other families around & a good secondary school (yr 7 onwards) A few nice shops, cafes, usual stuff really.

Most important is accessibility into Melbourne CBD & this is where we're coming unstuck - If I could sort out commuter ferry routes, even the far end of the Mornington Peninsular becomes possible, but I'm having trouble finding these. The other thing is I find maps that mention stations to Melbourne, but hen find that they're coaches, not trains - it's pretty confusing!

Anyway, any chance of a pointer folks?

Many thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne Area - Please Help!

good luck

you need to prioritise what is the most important for example (a) the beach or (a) good schools, also the school thing is it state or private.

I think if you narrow things down a bit you will get more advice on here, no offence , but its a tall order your asking.

There is also this thread going on at the moment which may help you out.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501806

Last edited by Margaret3; Feb 3rd 2008 at 11:00 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:14 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
good luck

you need to prioritise what is the most important for example (a) the beach or (a) good schools, also the school thing is it state or private.

I think if you narrow things down a bit you will get more advice on here, no offence , but its a tall order your asking.

There is also this thread going on at the moment which may help you out.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501806
Lol! No offence taken I know how tough it is to recommend an area to a stranger

I think the main thing I need to get a feel of is how the transport, particularly the ferries, work, because that is the key I think, to where we can look.

Thanks for the link
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think there are many ferries in Melbourne (if you were talking about Sydney, it would be a different story ) - unless you want to commute to Tasmania, that is..

There's a ferry from Williamstown to the city I think - but that's it.

Rail map here:

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/m...politan_trains
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:26 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

ferry at far end of penninsula is sorrento to Queenscliff goes nowhere near Melbourne and the last train station anywhere near mornington penninsula to get to Melbourne is Frankston (somewhere I'm looking at as it's a large town right on the sea with good links to melbourne.) train takes about an hour to melbourne and there's one every 15 mins or so
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JenniGee
This is a shout out to anyone around the Melbourne area who might be able to point me in the right direction. I guess there's loads of threads like this, but I've had a search through & am still no wiser

We need a beach life - wide open spaces on the doorstep, but in an area with plenty of other families around & a good secondary school (yr 7 onwards) A few nice shops, cafes, usual stuff really.

Most important is accessibility into Melbourne CBD & this is where we're coming unstuck - If I could sort out commuter ferry routes, even the far end of the Mornington Peninsular becomes possible, but I'm having trouble finding these. The other thing is I find maps that mention stations to Melbourne, but hen find that they're coaches, not trains - it's pretty confusing!

Anyway, any chance of a pointer folks?

Many thanks
We live in Mornington and its beautiful down here, you can definetely get the beach life style here. Lots of British in the area and some great schools both private and state. Ours go to The Peninsula school in Mt.Eliza, great school, but very pricey. There are others that are cheaper though. Hubby commutes to CBD every day from Frankston by train, takes just over an hour and not anywhere near as expensive as commuting in UK. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:46 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Smartinis
We live in Mornington and its beautiful down here, you can definetely get the beach life style here. Lots of British in the area and some great schools both private and state. Ours go to The Peninsula school in Mt.Eliza, great school, but very pricey. There are others that are cheaper though. Hubby commutes to CBD every day from Frankston by train, takes just over an hour and not anywhere near as expensive as commuting in UK. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck!
Can't argue with you there Mornington is absolutely gorgeous with some wonderful beaches. God I wish I was there now