Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Adelaide?

Melbourne or Adelaide?

Old Mar 8th 2008, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really nice
Default Melbourne or Adelaide?

Hi all ,
Really need advice on the subject of where to settle down. We have the option of living absolutely anywhere in Australia. But like many of you, have never been down under so have to rely on the internet for info. For months now we have agreed that Adelaide would be our first choice. But with my husband being an Electrician we are considering Melbourne now,as skilled workers are in more demand over there. We need to make our minds up soon as we should(fingers crossed) receive our 136 Visa any time now. Please please help us with any info you might have.

Joanne and Lee x

Last edited by Lee and Joanne; Mar 8th 2008 at 2:10 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne or Adelaide?

Originally Posted by Lee and Joanne
Hi all ,
Really need advice on the subject of where to settle down. We have the option of living absolutely anywhere in Australia. But like many of you, have never been down under so have to rely on the internet for info. For months now we have agreed that Adelaide would be our first choice. But with my husband being an Electrician we are considering Melbourne now,as skilled workers are in more demand over there. We need to make our minds up soon as we should(fingers crossed) receive our 136 Visa any time now. Please please help us with any info you might have.

Joanne and Lee x
what are you after in the place you live? If you give more info about what you are looking for we might be able to give better specific info.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really niceLee and Joanne is just really nice

Originally Posted by hereshoping
what are you after in the place you live? If you give more info about what you are looking for we might be able to give better specific info.
Hi , Thanks for replying as this is driving us insane with not being able to make a decision.
I have listed what we are aiming for over in Aus.

1. Planning on buying if not 90% of our next property. Do not,under any circumstances want to be tied down with large mortgage and endless bills.
2. Husband is an Electrician. Melbourne gives us the impression that it has more to offer when it comes to options of where to work.
2. Education?. we want the best future for our kids.
3. Laid back is our aim in life. But also to have the option of city live so our two boys have better prospects.
That's a brief summary of how we feel. Oh, and of course the option of being able to afford a pool for the kids would be a bonus.

Thanks Joanne
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I have never met you so am really not qualified to say whether you will like Melbourne or Adelaide better. I also have no idea of how many Electricians jobs there are in Melbourne as I haven't looked. I can tell you this though:

It's a LOT easier to get licenced as an Electrician in South Australia than in any other state in Australia - so if your OH needs to be earning as soon as possible come here at least to do the PEER course. If you don't like Adelaide then you can move onto Melbourne, you won't have lost anything only gained an electrical licence about 6 - 9 months faster than if you'd been in Melbourne from the start.

If you do like Adelaide then there are also plenty of Electrician jobs here and your OH should be able to get one no trouble.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:52 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I have never met you so am really not qualified to say whether you will like Melbourne or Adelaide better. I also have no idea of how many Electricians jobs there are in Melbourne as I haven't looked. I can tell you this though:

It's a LOT easier to get licenced as an Electrician in South Australia than in any other state in Australia - so if your OH needs to be earning as soon as possible come here at least to do the PEER course. If you don't like Adelaide then you can move onto Melbourne, you won't have lost anything only gained an electrical licence about 6 - 9 months faster than if you'd been in Melbourne from the start.

If you do like Adelaide then there are also plenty of Electrician jobs here and your OH should be able to get one no trouble.
Sounds like a win win situation for the OP.

Either way melbourne or Adelaide you will be welcome
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

mark2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy

hi wendy,just read your reply to the adelaide or melbourne queston and was wondering if you could explain more about the PEER course,as i am an electrician and my wife myself and two boys are moving to adelaide late may early june. thanks mark and karen.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark2
hi wendy,just read your reply to the adelaide or melbourne queston and was wondering if you could explain more about the PEER course,as i am an electrician and my wife myself and two boys are moving to adelaide late may early june. thanks mark and karen.

Sure can, read this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...47&postcount=8
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:06 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I would have seriously considered Adelaide instead of Melbourne if there had been more opportunities in my line of work there (IP Project Manager)

Buzzy
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I would have seriously considered Adelaide instead of Melbourne if there had been more opportunities in my line of work there (IP Project Manager)

Buzzy
I've no stats to back this up, but I'd estimate that for every one decent IT PM job advertised here in Adelaide there'd be 50 on offer in Melbourne. Adelaide's a great place to live (tin hat poised at the ready ahead of the Adelaide bashers) but not if you're looking for IT roles [as I'm sure you know], as they are pretty thin on the ground.

To the OP, in answer to your list:

1. I'd say you'll find your $'s will go further on housing here than all the other mainland state capital cities;
2. Self employed seems to be the way to go - I've no solid facts on this, but it's the way it seems from talking to people. If you can become self employed then they'll be stacks of work in and around all the big cities in Oz;
3. Can't say - no school age kids; and
4. It's laid back here (in a nice way).

Finally, as you've not been to Oz you could aways give Adelaide a go to sort out your OHs ticket [as Wendy indicated] and if you don't like it here once you have all the necessary bits of paper the rest of Oz awaits. As you say with a 136 you can do anything. We have 136s too and some people I speak to can't believe that we chose SA. Somehow I don't think that SA will ever be a sexy choice for people - Perth was sexy [now please hold onto your hats out west, I'm not a paid up member of the 'Perth is boring' brigade. It's just that house prices have taken the shine of your place in the sun] and subsequently passed the baton to SE Qld [and no I'm not implying houses are cheap up there - phew you have to be careful don't you - it just seems to be the 'in place'].

Based on what I've seen posted (again no science, just my observations on the posts I've read and yes I'm sure there are other reasons) on here people who come to Adelaide and then move elsewhere in Oz either:

(a) Just don't like the place (no specific or tangible reasons. Note 'boring' doesn't really count as - without wishing to be too pedantic here - places can't be boring, now people on the other hand: they can be boring.) However, I do accept something along the lines of: 'can't quite put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right somehow', I can handle that, but you'll lose me if you start qualifying it with with things like: 'the shops aren't as good as London'; or 'well it's not really a proper city, is it'; or 'didn't like it as much as "home"'.

(b) Love it here, but couldn't find the right job and moved on for work reasons.

Best of luck wherever you opt to land the first, second or even the third time. Whatever you do give it a bloody good go here. Hard work and determination and the right attitude, with some luck thrown in for good measure, will be rewarded.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:08 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hills Boy
I've no stats to back this up, but I'd estimate that for every one decent IT PM job advertised here in Adelaide there'd be 50 on offer in Melbourne. Adelaide's a great place to live (tin hat poised at the ready ahead of the Adelaide bashers) but not if you're looking for IT roles [as I'm sure you know], as they are pretty thin on the ground.

1. I'd say you'll find your $'s will go further on housing here than all the other mainland state capital cities;
2. Self employed seems to be the way to go - I've no solid facts on this, but it's the way it seems from talking to people. If you can become self employed then they'll be stacks of work in and around all the big cities in Oz;

Finally, as you've not been to Oz you could aways give Adelaide a go to sort out your OHs ticket [as Wendy indicated] and if you don't like it here once you have all the necessary bits of paper the rest of Oz awaits. As you say with a 136 you can do anything. We have 136s too and some people I speak to can't believe that we chose SA. Somehow I don't think that SA will ever be a sexy choice for people - Perth was sexy [now please hold onto your hats out west, I'm not a paid up member of the 'Perth is boring' brigade. It's just that house prices have taken the shine of your place in the sun] and subsequently passed the baton to SE Qld [and no I'm not implying houses are cheap up there - phew you have to be careful don't you - it just seems to be the 'in place'].

Based on what I've seen posted (again no science, just my observations on the posts I've read and yes I'm sure there are other reasons) on here people who come to Adelaide and then move elsewhere in Oz either:

(a) Just don't like the place (no specific or tangible reasons. Note 'boring' doesn't really count as - without wishing to be too pedantic here - places can't be boring, now people on the other hand: they can be boring.) However, I do accept something along the lines of: 'can't quite put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right somehow', I can handle that, but you'll lose me if you start qualifying it with with things like: 'the shops aren't as good as London'; or 'well it's not really a proper city, is it'; or 'didn't like it as much as "home"'.

(b) Love it here, but couldn't find the right job and moved on for work reasons.

Best of luck wherever you opt to land the first, second or even the third time. Whatever you do give it a bloody good go here. Hard work and determination and the right attitude, with some luck thrown in for good measure, will be rewarded.
If you do go to Perth don't shit in the morning......

Save something to do at night
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hills Boy

THANK YOU ALL YOUR ADVICE.
We are really greatful for all this infomation you lot have kindly found the time to write.Thank you again

We know finding work will never be a problem for Lee being an Electrician. His skill is in demand all over Australia. Our reason for having second thoughts is just how laid back is Adelaide, compared to the other states. We have our childrens future to consider and want to give them the best opportunities. Let me explain....

Three years ago we moved from a large city in the UK to a more laid back lifestyle near the coast. Still feel it was the best thing to do for our two boys. Education is better, fresh air, healthier living. You get the picture. Great if you want the quiet life, which we do as we feel we have lived a full life in the city so fancied a change. BUT the kids have no future here. We both feel it just isn't right for them. Prospects are not very good. Unless they leave the area. I would hate to waste my sons education to working at Mcdonalds or an arcade, or owning a B&B or a few caravans. Because that is all it has to offer.

Joanne
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,
Hope you don't mind me changing the subject for a mo. Seeming i have the attention of Adelaidians.
Is it true you have to retake your test to get your driving licence?.
Also, how does this work if like me you have a full UK driving licence for a car and a motorbike?

Joanne
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Hi,
Is it true you have to retake your test to get your driving licence?.
Also, how does this work if like me you have a full UK driving licence for a car and a motorbike?

Joanne
Joanne

We both had full UK driving licences (me: car, OH: car + motorbike). All we did was fill in a form, pay some money (amont depends on how long you want your licence for) and that was that: no theory or practical tests or anything. Sorted. Other states may be and probably are different.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

THANK YOU ALL YOUR ADVICE.

Three years ago we moved from a large city in the UK to a more laid back lifestyle near the coast. Still feel it was the best thing to do for our two boys. Education is better, fresh air, healthier living. You get the picture. Great if you want the quiet life, which we do as we feel we have lived a full life in the city so fancied a change. BUT the kids have no future here. We both feel it just isn't right for them. Prospects are not very good. Unless they leave the area. I would hate to waste my sons education to working at Mcdonalds or an arcade, or owning a B&B or a few caravans. Because that is all it has to offer.

Joanne
Joanne

It was a bit cryptic but I added 'in a nice way' to the comment about laid back here for a reason. Melbourne (and Sydney for that matter) is a big, busy, bustling city and the most appropriate UK comparison would be London (I'm not saying that Melbourne or Sydney = London, but in terms of the two countries they have similarities). Comparing Australia's other principal cities to UK ones gets very subjective and it would at best result in a bun fight or at worst the thread would go off in all sorts of (interesting) directions but you wouldn't get an answer to your question. But if you list the city you lived in and the place you moved to I'll have a stab at the equivalent places here.

Adelaide's the fifth largest city in Australia and has a population of over 1.1 million; despite the views of some posters it's not a sleepy little hamlet where the most exciting event is the tumbleweed coasting along Rundle Mall every second Tuesday. Here you get the benefit of a decent sized city with all that comes with it without having to cope with the sheer size/cost of the 3 to 4 million inhabitants/megaburbs of the Vic/NSW capitals. There is no doubt that there are more opportunities in Melbourne or Sydney than there are in Adelaide (see the comments made earlier about IT, for example. If I was a thrusting young IT person, I'd be heading for Melbourne or Sydney and not settling in Adelaide.)

In my view if you moved to any of the main cities, including dear old Adelaide, here you don't really need to worry about prospects/jobs for your sons. Not sure how old your sons are, but when I was about 11 my folks moved from a tiny village to a comparatively large coastal town (both in the UK) for very similar reasons, so I can understand where you (and they, even though I didn't at the time) are coming from.