Reload this Page >

Melbourne Or Adelaide?

Melbourne Or Adelaide?

Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Steve Brown is on a distinguished road
Default Melbourne Or Adelaide?

Hi everyone,

Just joined this site today and this is my first post. Hoping someone can offer some useful info.

I'm planning to emigrate to Oz Jan 08 with my wife and 2 kids (ages 8 and 6). Just received my skills assessment letter back from Oz today - good news, so I can now complete the visa forms and get them posted (going for a 136 visa).

Up until now we've only really considered Adelaide but this is purely from t'internet research. Can anyone advise on decent suburbs and schools in Melbourne? I'm in my early forties so I'm not after the nightlife (sadly!) but more the nice, quiet, friendly neighbourhood with the good primary school. I know, getting old is a terrible thing! House price c$500k - will this get me 3 bedrooms in a decent area?

We're planning a 2-week reccie in late August (1 week each in Adelaide and Melbourne) so I'm trying to get a 'heads-up' on where to look before we get there. Grateful for any info. Cheers.

Steve
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:43 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice
Default Re: Melbourne Or Adelaide?

Hello!

Can't give you any info on Melbourne sorry but just wanted to say Welcome!

I'm originally from Adelaide so can give you loads of info on that, but only been to Melbourne once or twice.

Good Luck! x
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Steve Brown is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome!

OK, Adelaide then! Are the Eastern suburbs really the most desirable areas? It seems from t'internet that Burnside, Toorak Gardens, Dulwich etc are leafy, expensive, sought-after places - would you recommend any or all of them? (If I can afford to buy there, of course!) On the West, Glenelg looks good for the beach and closeness to CBD? Finally, Hallett Cove and Happy Valley look to be popular with the Brits - what do you think?

It's been Adelaide only for me for the last month. However, I went out last night for a beer (or 2) with an ex-work colleague who spent some time travelling in Oz and he recommended forgetting Adelaide ('there's nowt there, man') and moving to Melbourne ('best city in Australia')

I'm now not sure what to do - any advice welcome. I'm hoping my visit in Aug will help....!

Steve
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve Brown
Thanks for the welcome!

OK, Adelaide then! Are the Eastern suburbs really the most desirable areas? It seems from t'internet that Burnside, Toorak Gardens, Dulwich etc are leafy, expensive, sought-after places - would you recommend any or all of them? (If I can afford to buy there, of course!) On the West, Glenelg looks good for the beach and closeness to CBD? Finally, Hallett Cove and Happy Valley look to be popular with the Brits - what do you think?

It's been Adelaide only for me for the last month. However, I went out last night for a beer (or 2) with an ex-work colleague who spent some time travelling in Oz and he recommended forgetting Adelaide ('there's nowt there, man') and moving to Melbourne ('best city in Australia')

I'm now not sure what to do - any advice welcome. I'm hoping my visit in Aug will help....!

Steve
Adelaide is lovely, your mates don't know what they are missing

Glenelg is OK, but a bit too busy for me. It's nice for a day out but I couldn't live there. I have heard nice things about Brighton but it's a pretty hard place to get rentals.

I liked Golden Grove, but I'm not sure of the house prices. It was a little bit hilly for me though. (I can't drive and the thought of traipsing up the hill from school every day didn't appeal!)

I currently live in Mawson Lakes, which is a lovely suburb with lots of little play parks for the kids (and one for the dogs too), a really nice primary school and a great (private) high school. For your cash you'd get a 3 or 4 bed house here.

I liked Seaford, Moana etc down in the South. I would gladly live there but my OH's work is in the North. Can't help with house prices there either.

Best advice I can give you is to come with an open mind about both places. Never mind what your mates tell you, they won't be living here
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:38 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Just joined this site today and this is my first post. Hoping someone can offer some useful info.

I'm planning to emigrate to Oz Jan 08 with my wife and 2 kids (ages 8 and 6). Just received my skills assessment letter back from Oz today - good news, so I can now complete the visa forms and get them posted (going for a 136 visa).

Up until now we've only really considered Adelaide but this is purely from t'internet research. Can anyone advise on decent suburbs and schools in Melbourne? I'm in my early forties so I'm not after the nightlife (sadly!) but more the nice, quiet, friendly neighbourhood with the good primary school. I know, getting old is a terrible thing! House price c$500k - will this get me 3 bedrooms in a decent area?

We're planning a 2-week reccie in late August (1 week each in Adelaide and Melbourne) so I'm trying to get a 'heads-up' on where to look before we get there. Grateful for any info. Cheers.

Steve
Both are nice

Adelaide will be quieter but hey some people are looking for that specifically. Have never been there and only advice is for you to go and see for yourself. If it works for you go for it.

Melbourne is great for us because it retains all the best qualities of Europe (and everyone - well most, drive on the left hand side).

Enjoy your 2 weeks - We maybe organising a ski trip around that time - otherwise I am sure there will be some local members who will catch up for a coffee etc or perhaps even show you around.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1
Check out this site for specific info on Melbourne

Not sure of the one for Adelaide but Wendy may have details.

PS I am a Bear but have lost my password
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Both are nice

Adelaide will be quieter but hey some people are looking for that specifically. Have never been there and only advice is for you to go and see for yourself. If it works for you go for it.

Melbourne is great for us because it retains all the best qualities of Europe (and everyone - well most, drive on the left hand side).

Enjoy your 2 weeks - We maybe organising a ski trip around that time - otherwise I am sure there will be some local members who will catch up for a coffee etc or perhaps even show you around.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1
Check out this site for specific info on Melbourne

Not sure of the one for Adelaide but Wendy may have details.

PS I am a Bear but have lost my password

www.adelaidebrits.tk

Not all that keen on the site myself though.....
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:04 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
www.adelaidebrits.tk

Come and chat on Britvics then Wendy Just because your in Adelaide doesn't mean your not welcome too.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:28 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

If you want nice quiet neighbourhoods with good schools try the Adelaide hills, Crafers, Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater or the Coromandal Valley/Blackwood area. Lovely areas - we live in the hills and our girls school is great.

Lou
xx

Hi everyone,

Steve
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Hi everyone,
Can anyone advise on decent suburbs and schools in Melbourne? I'm in my early forties so I'm not after the nightlife (sadly!) but more the nice, quiet, friendly neighbourhood with the good primary school. I know, getting old is a terrible thing! House price c$500k - will this get me 3 bedrooms in a decent area?
Steve
Whilst in Melbourne. Check out Patterson Lakes, Frankston South, Mt.Eliza, Mornington & Mount Martha. They are on the Mornington Peninsula and about 1hrs drive to the city. The train line runs as far as Frankston and takes just over an hour too.

Frankston South and Mt.Eliza are the places I know best and have very good primary schools and are very family orientated. The non-beach side of Mt.Eliza is cheaper than beachside and more for families IMO. $500k would buy you a pretty nice house with a large garden. Check out what you could buy on realestate.com

This may help with getting about http://www3.visitvictoria.com/displa...047C/vvt.vhtml

Good luck
Caroline
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Come and chat on Britvics then Wendy Just because your in Adelaide doesn't mean your not welcome too.

Aye, I might just do that
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:35 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

www.adelaidebrits.tk

Why,s that wendy?............ mm
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mr mover
Why,s that wendy?............ mm

It's too yellow

Can only cope with about half an hour at a time.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

OMG. Just went on to the site as I was curious to see just how yellow it was. I think I need a paracetamol and a lie down now

It's too yellow

Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's too yellow

It hurts my eyes. My husband laughs and says I won't need that expensive laser eye surgery. The colour of that forum has burned my retinas for me.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:42 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It hurts my eyes. My husband laughs and says I won't need that expensive laser eye surgery. The colour of that forum has burned my retinas for me.
I'm the same, I can't stay on for long - makes my sight go funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.