Melbourne

Old May 27th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Melbourne

We are currently living in Sydney and looking at a potential move to Melbourne.

We are looking at areas around Melbourne where I can get a house for <$500k:
Looking at 3/4 bedroom house that doesn't require too much work/modernisation, i.e. can move straight in.
Not too fussed about land, just want an outdoor eating/patio area and enough space for a trampoline. Though prefer to stay away from townhouse and the strata
School is important, so a decent public school not too far away that has before/after school club.
Would be nice to have parks/ovals/guides or the like not too far away for 7yr old daughter.
Got a car so shops at least 10-15mins drive away.
Near transport links to the city as want to stay a one car family and get train to work.
Would be nice to be less than an hours drive away from a decent beach.

We have been looking at price only and the following areas are within budget:

Laverton, Hoppers Crossing, Werribee, Sunshine, Ardeer, Deer Park,Melton,Albion, St Albans,

Can anyone suggest any others and give any feedback good or bad on the ones above.

Thanks,
WW
Old May 27th 2010, 3:01 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Melbourne

St Albans is potentially the worst Suburb in Australia and all the surburbs you mentioned are awful places. There the bottem of the barrel in Melbourne. In Australia and the prices of Melbourne property IMO are very little compared to sydney. You either have the money to be in a good area to send your kids your school or you don't. Thats the Australian dream 2000 mate.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 27th 2010 at 3:50 am.
Old May 27th 2010, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
St Albans is potentially the worst Suburb in Australia and all the surburbs you mentioned are awful places. There the bottem of the barrel in Melbourne. In Australia and the prices of Melbourne property IMO are very little compared to sydney. You either have the money to be in a good area to send your kids your school or you don't. Thats the Australian dream 2000 mate.
I'd actually give that accolade to Melton. Out of that list Sunshine would be the best. It's nowhere near as bad as it's made out, and is the closest to the CBD, plus plenty of infastructure... compared to the others.

Tip try around here, It's definitely the best part of Sunshine.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=C

Dammit link Wrong.... type in Cornwall rd/Devonshire rd/Monash st's Sunshine in the above and look around that area..... have a look at street view for a feel of the area... nice tree lined streets.

Tricky part will be the School, I'm sure there would be at least one decent school there.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 27th 2010 at 3:58 am.
Old May 27th 2010, 5:01 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Sunshine is roamed by vietnamese gangs, St Albions has the highest gun overnship in Australia 1/2 houses apparently, Werribee has one of the most awful bogan cultures in Australia. and Hoppers crossing is full of Indian students who fear for their lives. Been some real high profile gang rapes in the areas that were mentioned recently as well. Also all these areas you mentioned haev about 100 000 somalian refugees who according to a police officer I spoke to at Uni last year all arm themsevles with firearms.

Honestly day or night I wouldn't visit most of the areas that the OP mentioned. As someone said though sunshien is probably the best if their were a best one. St Albans to Broadmeadows imo is the worst part of Australian cities. Reduce the size of your house and go for location like the rest of the country is and is being forced to doing these days.

Melbourne is just as expensive as Sydney the price of property and cost of living are no different. You go to Melbourne for the culture and sports, you don't go there because Sydney is too expensive and you think you can get a better value for money because you won't

Last edited by Weebie; May 27th 2010 at 5:12 am.
Old May 27th 2010, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

The Ozzie locals call it scumshine, personally I have no comment.
I think you could buy in nicer areas, even in the new estates you could pick something up for $500k, look at Point Cook area. PC is not everyones taste, some hate new builds (Mc Mansions), some think it's too flat, others think its just boring, but personally I think it is 100% better than the suburbs you have on your list and there are some good primary schools around. How far do you want to be from the city, if you are happy with an hours commute you could find yourself in a very nice suburb for your $500k.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Also all these areas you mentioned haev about 100 000 somalian refugees who according to a police officer I spoke to at Uni last year all arm themsevles with firearms.

Exaggerating much?

A 2006 census by the Victorian Multicultural Commission found there were 4,313 Somalia-born residents in Australia, with 2624 in Victoria.

And even if Somali refugees had taken every single place on the humanitarian program since then and all of them had settled in your list of suburbs there still wouldn't be anything close to 100,000. In 2008-9 there were 456 offshore visas granted to Somalis.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:13 am
Banned

I remember reading something that in 2009 they canned the quota after it hit 150 000
Old May 27th 2010, 6:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading something that in 2009 they canned the quota after it hit 150 000
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...0refugee.htm#g

Humanitarian Program figures

2006–07 13 017
2007–08 13 014
2008–09 13 507
2009–10 13 750

...less than half of those numbers are refugees.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Please quote your source for this.

I reckon the whole refugee quota is no more than 15k/year.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:30 am
Banned

I'll look for it when I have time. I spoek to a police officer who told me that around 200 000 live in that area. An annual quote of 15 000 is bullshti though. It's a lot mroe than that!
Old May 27th 2010, 6:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

I'll look for it when I have time. I spoek to a police officer who told me that around 200 000 live in that area. An annual quote of 15 000 is bullshti though. It's a lot mroe than that!
If you tallied up that list of suburbs they probably wouldn't even a total population of 200,000! What a crock!
Old May 27th 2010, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sunshine is roamed by vietnamese gangs, St Albions has the highest gun overnship in Australia 1/2 houses apparently, Werribee has one of the most awful bogan cultures in Australia. and Hoppers crossing is full of Indian students who fear for their lives. Been some real high profile gang rapes in the areas that were mentioned recently as well. Also all these areas you mentioned haev about 100 000 somalian refugees who according to a police officer I spoke to at Uni last year all arm themsevles with firearms.

Honestly day or night I wouldn't visit most of the areas that the OP mentioned. As someone said though sunshien is probably the best if their were a best one. St Albans to Broadmeadows imo is the worst part of Australian cities. Reduce the size of your house and go for location like the rest of the country is and is being forced to doing these days.

Melbourne is just as expensive as Sydney the price of property and cost of living are no different. You go to Melbourne for the culture and sports, you don't go there because Sydney is too expensive and you think you can get a better value for money because you won't
I've lived in the Northern Subs for 30 years now, Broadmeadows is nowhere near as rough as it used to be. Between St Albans and Broadmeadows are places Like Maribyrnong, the Maribyrnong river part of Avondale Heights, Essendon Strathmore, Oak Park and then Broadmeadows.... of which Oak Park is part off. Tullamarine and particuarly Niddrie are both OK suburbs as well.

I've got friends that live in Sunshine, we got out there a lot, never seen these Vietnamese gangs that your alluding too. I do agree St Albans is bad though.

The worst suburb in the North is either Dallas or Coolaroo, although the Worst Suburb in Melbourne is either Noble Park or Doveton .... they probably all interchange.

I'd give the title of the worst places to live in Victoria to places like Moe and Benalla. Benalla has close to the worst school in Victoria.

There's no more than 20,000 Somalians in the whole of Australia, so the 100,000 that you quote is hopefully a typo.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1111118108007

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 27th 2010 at 6:54 am.
Old May 27th 2010, 7:09 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

what a load of bollocks
Old May 27th 2010, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tip to OP try Glenroy, and around Glenroy West Primary, thats definitely a good school. You should be able to buy something around there for 500K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.