Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - 6 Months In!

Melbourne - 6 Months In!

Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne - 6 Months In!

So, we’ve been here in Melbourne for just over 6 months and settling really well.
As a bit of background – we came from a typical suburb, 5 miles from the centre of Bristol, in a 3-bed semi. My husband worked as a pre-press operator/graphic designer on an average UK salary (crap basic, but good overtime – therefore worked long hours). I worked 23 hours over 4 days in a good job – but wanted less hours over fewer days (practically impossible to find another part-time job in my field paying the sort of hourly rate I was on). We were not particularly materialistic (2 old cars, IKEA furniture etc) but did like our holidays. We weren’t in debt (apart from mortgage), but had the usual worries about endowment not covering the mortgage etc. OH’s family all lived round the corner (or seemed like it!), mine dotted around the UK and World.
We came to Australia because we wanted a ‘better lifestyle’ for us and the children. And so far we are achieving this.

OH secured a good job, paying slightly more than the UK job (but as a basic salary!!). He also works day shifts, so has much more time with the children. We are buying (Friday) a wonderful house in a great location with the smallest of mortgages (we were lucky to buy at the right time in the UK – as many have done). Therefore, I don’t need to work.

So, rather than rabbit on for ages – I have done a list of likes and dislikes!

*The climate – yes, even in Melbourne! The winter has been mild and sunny.
*The outdoors – mostly because of the above and also the wonderful parks and beaches.
*The lack of traffic – we are 33k or thereabouts out of the CBD and I rarely get stuck in traffic (even taking the oldest to Kinder for 08:30).
*The fact that you can wear what you like – I love the fact that youngest can go out in full fancy dress and no-one bats an eyelid.
*Friendliness – yes, I’m sure some of it is false – but I’d rather be greeted pleasantly, than be grunted at. It’s incredible that I feel more upset leaving the shops at Chelsea (where we have been for 6 months) than leaving my local Bristol shops where we had been for 10 years!!).
*Police motorcyclists in leather jodhpurs
*I can shop in Safeway and only meet one other shopper in each aisle!!
*I can spot Pelicans and parrots on my way to Safeway (rather than skinheads and hoodies).
*I can park outside the entrance of Bayside Mall even on a Saturday!
*The huge expansive of sky
*The huge amount of variety of scenery in Victoria
*The wonderful vibrancy of Melbourne CBD
*Spotting dolphins off beautiful Chelsea beach

Dislikes
*Quality of building – our newish rental is like living in a tent, due to its lack of sound and heat insulation
*Small blocks – put us off new builds (though I don’t particularly like estate living – nothing wrong with it and there are some beautiful new houses – but it’s not for us). The garage next to our rental garage is literally about 2” away.
*Graffiti – everywhere – not just in the inner burbs – but everywhere
*Dog shit around the playgrounds
*Barking dogs at night (compounded by the lack of sound insulation and the large dog population).

To sum it up, we feel very lucky that we are here giving this new stage of our life a good go! It’s early days and we are yet to move into our new house and new surroundings. We don’t really get too homesick – though I miss my Mum lots (especially as I know how much she misses her grandchildren). Will we stay? Who knows – we’ll see how our life is 2 years on – I can’t imagine going back at the moment. It’s funny, but I was thinking the other day, what would happen if Adam dropped dead (as you do!) and I thought I might have to go back ‘home’ – and I really didn’t fancy it

Australia isn't perfect, of course, and things aren't as cheap as they used to be - so do your research and hopefully you won't be disappointed!

Rachel

Last edited by The Crow; Aug 30th 2006 at 11:52 am.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:45 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - 6 Months In!

Hi
Great post with loads of useful information. We are also from Bristol and we fly to Brisbane on Saturday! Shippers are currently here packing up all our worldly goods and I feel like a spare part!
Thanks for the infor, I love reading posts from people who are living the dream and making it work.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi
Great post with loads of useful information. We are also from Bristol and we fly to Brisbane on Saturday! Shippers are currently here packing up all our worldly goods and I feel like a spare part!
Thanks for the infor, I love reading posts from people who are living the dream and making it work.
Good luck! I hated all that packing - it all seems so surreal now!
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:56 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Big up the Bristol massive. Nice post - glad you're settling in guys.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Crow
So, we’ve been here in Melbourne for just over 6 months and settling really well.
As a bit of background – we came from a typical suburb, 5 miles from the centre of Bristol, in a 3-bed semi. My husband worked as a pre-press operator/graphic designer on an average UK salary (crap basic, but good overtime – therefore worked long hours). I worked 23 hours over 4 days in a good job – but wanted less hours over fewer days (practically impossible to find another part-time job in my field paying the sort of hourly rate I was on). We were not particularly materialistic (2 old cars, IKEA furniture etc) but did like our holidays. We weren’t in debt (apart from mortgage), but had the usual worries about endowment not covering the mortgage etc. OH’s family all lived round the corner (or seemed like it!), mine dotted around the UK and World.
We came to Australia because we wanted a ‘better lifestyle’ for us and the children. And so far we are achieving this.

OH secured a good job, paying slightly more than the UK job (but as a basic salary!!). He also works day shifts, so has much more time with the children. We are buying (Friday) a wonderful house in a great location with the smallest of mortgages (we were lucky to buy at the right time in the UK – as many have done). Therefore, I don’t need to work.

*The outdoors – mostly because of the above and also the wonderful parks and beaches.
*The lack of traffic – we are 33k or thereabouts out of the CBD and I rarely get stuck in traffic (even taking the oldest to Kinder for 08:30).
*The fact that you can wear what you like – I love the fact that youngest can go out in full fancy dress and no-one bats an eyelid.
*Friendliness – yes, I’m sure some of it is false – but I’d rather be greeted pleasantly, than be grunted at. It’s incredible that I feel more upset leaving the shops at Chelsea (where we have been for 6 months) than leaving my local Bristol shops where we had been for 10 years!!).
*I can spot Pelicans and parrots on my way to Safeway (rather than skinheads and hoodies).

Dislikes
*Quality of building – our newish rental is like living in a tent, due to its lack of sound and heat insulation
*Small blocks – put us off new builds (though I don’t particularly like estate living – nothing wrong with it and there are some beautiful new houses – but it’s not for us). The garage next to our rental garage is literally about 2” away.
*Barking dogs at night (compounded by the lack of sound insulation and the large dog population).

To sum it up, we feel very lucky that we are here giving this new stage of our life a good go! It’s early days and we are yet to move into our new house and new surroundings. We don’t really get too homesick – though I miss my Mum lots (especially as I know how much she misses her grandchildren). Will we stay? Who knows – we’ll see how our life is 2 years on – I can’t imagine going back at the moment. It’s funny, but I was thinking the other day, what would happen if Adam dropped dead (as you do!) and I thought I might have to go back ‘home’ – and I really didn’t fancy it

Australia isn't perfect, of course, and things aren't as cheap as they used to be - so do your research and hopefully you won't be disappointed!

Rachel
Hi,loved reading your post,we,my wife and I are heading to Melbourne a week tomorrow :scared: ,we cant wait really,my sister lives in Frankston south/Mount Eliza area,so we are heading there first,got an interview lined up for myself with a decorating firm,so at least something to be going on with,all the best,cheers Dave
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi,loved reading your post,we,my wife and I are heading to Melbourne a week tomorrow :scared: ,we cant wait really,my sister lives in Frankston south/Mount Eliza area,so we are heading there first,got an interview lined up for myself with a decorating firm,so at least something to be going on with,all the best,cheers Dave
Good luck to you and your family! They live in a great area - I'm sure you'll love it
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
Big up the Bristol massive. Nice post - glad you're settling in guys.
Thanks Hutch
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:49 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

unnily enough my wife said the same, "If you drop dead I won't be going back".

Good luck at the weekend with the new house, hope the weather keeps good for moving in.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:35 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Dislikes

Rachel
Hi Rachel/Adam,Great post glad your doing well,don't the time fly!
have sent you a pm speak soon.I & J
Old Aug 30th 2006, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Dislikes

Rachel
Great post! Good luck with the move.
Martine
Old Aug 30th 2006, 7:58 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just ask you, how long does it take for you to drive from Chelsea to the CBD?? I've looked at house prices there and they seem pritty good. Just worried about it being a bit too far out for us.
Cheers and have a cool day.

*pearly* x
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:42 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the wonderful post, it really gives you an idea of what life will be like when we eventually get through the other side of migration.
Let us know how your new house pans out!

Ali and Jon
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Can I just ask you, how long does it take for you to drive from Chelsea to the CBD?? I've looked at house prices there and they seem pritty good. Just worried about it being a bit too far out for us.
Cheers and have a cool day.

*pearly* x
Hi there!

We've never done the drive in rush hour, so not sure about that. Other times it's about 40 mins or so. When Adam worked in the CBD, he used to take the train which about 45 mins.

Chelsea is another up and coming area. There is a lot of development and a lot of snazzy beach apartments going up. Some areas are still a bit scruffy and it certainly has its characters - but I like it. Chelsea Heights is also good - oldest goes to kinder there and it seems like a nice area (a little further from the beach -but only a few mins by car).

Hope that helps

R
Old Aug 31st 2006, 12:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It’s funny, but I was thinking the other day, what would happen if Adam dropped dead (as you do!) and I thought I might have to go back ‘home’ – and I really didn’t fancy it

Rachel
Nice post Rachel. Strangely I have that thought every now and then and assume I would go back but then think again and wonder why
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Nice post Rachel. Strangely I have that thought every now and then and assume I would go back but then think again and wonder why
Sounds like life is good for you, well done. What part of bristol are you from, we are from Keynsham.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.