Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne 5 weeks in

Wikiposts

Melbourne 5 weeks in

Old Aug 13th 2006, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Melbourne 5 weeks in

Been here nearly 5 weeks and thought I would share my thoughts and experiences with you.

Flight - came via LA on Virgin and then Air NZ via Auckland. About 28 hours flying time, so longer than the other way, but wasn't too bad, as the second leg was through the night and slept quite well. Both airlines OK but Air NZ had loads more leg room. Was worried about the airport at LA as I had heard stories about the transit lounge and long queues at immigration but it was fine. Maybe we were lucky.

Spotswood quarantine - brilliant, very efficient and clearly love the animals in their care.

Dandenong - we are staying here with a friend who has kindly put us up until we move into our rental next week. I know it gets a very bad press I assume because of the large ethnic population and low cost accommodation, but I have experienced no problems personally. Having said that I wouldn't choose to live here mainly because it is very busy and noisy with the Princes Highway running through the middle and that is one of the things I want to get away from. When you walk around the side streets, there are some very nice, well maintained properties, and talking to residents, you find that these usually belong to the older generation who have lived there all their lives. It's a shame that the authorities have allowed so many homes to be bought by landlords for letting, who then have no interest in their upkeep, just keep taking the rent.This of course happens everywhere. I believe there is millions of dollars being invested to improve the area, so we'll see what happens.

Rentals/estate agents - beware flowery, long winded descriptions of rental properties. We did what everyone does, spent ages looking at real estate.com, and got fooled by the lovely houses. In reality, alot are dirty, run down and in grotty streets. We were so disappointed when we first started looking. OK if you don't mind paying out, but we don't want to waste too much money on renting, while we decide where to buy. However I expect certain standards for my $300 a week, not threadbare carpets, mouldy bathrooms and stinking of cats as some of them were. Some even stated outdoor pets allowed - I wouldn't let my dog live in some of them! We soon realised we had to compromise the large garden in an older property and have settled for a nearly new unit, with a small yard.

What things cost - I am suprised at how much basic food items are - bread milk etc. Have learnt to shop at the markets for fruit and veg and will go to a wholesale butcher for my meat when I move into my rental. Most things are dearer than I expected, but you can get bargains if you shop around. We have been buying white goods and you can barter them down.Got a fridge freezer, two TV's, microwave and hoover for $1700 in Good Guys at the weekend. Second hand car prices are unbelievable, so expensive! OH has a company car, so we're not desperate, thank god. Oh and duvets and linen - stock up before you come. It is really cheap to eat out though. On the whole I think most things are the same as the UK.

Banks- we set up an account with ANZ on line in the UK. Very easy to activate, just go in to the branch you nominated with ID and all done there and then.

TFN - dead easy, just went to the local tax office with passports, filled out forms, will get the them in 28 days.

Medicare - easy again,went into a medicare office, they are in most shopping centres, filled out forms, had the cards within a week.

Driving license - went into Vic Roads centre, got the forms. Decided to wait until we had a permanent address, then make appointment, go back and they change them over. 17 year old son is applying for his learner permit as well.

One piece of advise is to take your passport with you everywhere, I even needed it to post a parcel to the UK.

So this is it to date. Everyone is different of course, and we are lucky that other half had a job to go to. My advise is to take it one day at a time, give yourself time to adjust, you can't do it all in a day.
Australians are really friendly, but you will feel lonely, and I have had some bad days. I am now looking forward to having my own house again, and thinking about going back to work.

Melbourne is a great place, what I've seen of it, and also a bit strange, did I really see two camels sitting at the side of the road the other day?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne 5 weeks in

Really informative "real" post. Hope you continue to find your feet!

lol! Camels!!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 5:34 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Been here 7 years & although Ive seen plenty of clowns Ive never seen any Camels.
I know Dandenong has many Ethnics but surely they are not allowing them to bring there camels in to.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bookie
Melbourne is a great place, what I've seen of it, and also a bit strange, did I really see two camels sitting at the side of the road the other day?
They might have escaped from the circus we went to in Cheltenham
Still, who wants llamas jumping over you - good on them, I hope they find what they're looking for

Good post BTW!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Great post. Sounds like you are settling in well.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 7:54 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Welcome to Melbourne and hope everything works out for you.

Lorraine
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the very honest post. Hope you enjoy your rental and new life in Melbourne.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to allSandra and Jim is a name known to all

Great post, thanks. We are moving in 5 weeks time can't quite believe it. Shipping everything over staying in Caroline Springs area, not sure if there are camels there though!!!!!!

Sandra
x
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:50 am
Just Joined

dellinlondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Evening from the UK Bookie

MY family & I are moving in January to Hampton we are at the moment looking for rental accomodation like you did on Realestate.com I find it hard to even get an answer from them let alone secure a property to rent
Is it possible to do from the UK or am I dreaming.
Our son will be going to school in Brighton so we need somthing nearby Im looking for a 5 to 6 month rental from November if possible.

If you could put us in touch with anyone who could help I would be more than greatful.
Also if you could let me know if you had secured anything before you left for Auz

Hope its all still going well for you we cant wait to join you out there.

Dell & Family
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

really down to earth post, moving to melbourne , possibly South East, berwick area. good tips on renting. thanks

sj
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:27 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Extremely informative and honest post, made a great read.

We are heading to Whittlesea which is about 40mins north of the CBD next year, but we had the chance to stay with friends in that town on our honeymoon earlier this year so have a fair idea of what we're in for, but I'm sure real world living will be a totally different experience.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about descriptions of houses, we went to look at some whilst we had the chance and they left a lot to be desired. The new-builds on the otherhand, truelly gorgeous!!!

Good luck for the future and I hope it continues to make you happy.

Regards,

Dave