Melbourne

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:12 am
Just Joined

auto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne

Hi All
We have just discovered this site, wish we had seen it before. We have been in Melbourne for 18months now, and although we love the summer the winter reminds us of the UK.
Are their any electricans out there who have managed to find work in the Melbourne area?
Auto
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:38 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne

Originally posted by auto
Hi All
We have just discovered this site, wish we had seen it before. We have been in Melbourne for 18months now, and although we love the summer the winter reminds us of the UK.
Are their any electricans out there who have managed to find work in the Melbourne area?
Auto

Welcome Auto, sorry I'm neither in Melbourne or an electrician but from your question wondered whether you had found work within 18 months?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome auto. Ditto on question?

Whisky
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by whisky
Welcome auto. Ditto on question?

Whisky

Thanks for the replys. I have not worked for the past 18 months. But for 14months that was my choice. We came out to Oz in April 2002 just for a year to see if we would like it, my wife is a nurse so we had no problem coming over. We decided after the first year we would like to settle here and applied for our PR this has been granted but we have to leave the country to get our passports stamped, in the mean time I applied to get my electrical licence I now have this and am looking for work but the problem I have is no work experience in Oz.
Auto
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:45 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Auto

We are hoping to arrive in Melbourne in May 2004. Hubby is an electrician like you and we've been trying to find out info about electrical licences. What did you have to do to get yours? We'd be grateful for any info.........

Petra
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Thanks for the replys. I have not worked for the past 18 months. But for 14months that was my choice. We came out to Oz in April 2002 just for a year to see if we would like it, my wife is a nurse so we had no problem coming over. We decided after the first year we would like to settle here and applied for our PR this has been granted but we have to leave the country to get our passports stamped, in the mean time I applied to get my electrical licence I now have this and am looking for work but the problem I have is no work experience in Oz.
Auto
Hello Auto and welcome to British Expats, usually somebody on here knows whatever answer you need.
I'm a nurse coming over on a 457 intending to go for permanent within 12 months. How quick/easy was it for you and your wife to get your new visas?
Mandy
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

spencerwilde is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all

Myself and my partner(who is an electrician) hope to land in melbourne early November 2003. We are just awaiting the go ahead to send our visas to be stamped.

Are you finding it hard to gain employment in the electrical field over there???

I hope we don't find this a problem
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Mandyisere
Hello Auto and welcome to British Expats, usually somebody on here knows whatever answer you need.
I'm a nurse coming over on a 457 intending to go for permanent within 12 months. How quick/easy was it for you and your wife to get your new visas?
Mandy
Hi
You should have no problem at all, only thing we found was that because we applied in OZ and didn't go for PR with a sponsor we have got to leave the country to pick up our visa. If a hospital sponsors you you can get your passport stamped at the nearest mission in OZ.
Hope this helps
Auto
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by artep
Hi Auto

We are hoping to arrive in Melbourne in May 2004. Hubby is an electrician like you and we've been trying to find out info about electrical licences. What did you have to do to get yours? We'd be grateful for any info.........

Petra

Hi Petra
I had a few problems getting my licence the main one being the guy at the the TRA centre treats you like you know nothing although I have been a spark for 25years JIB qualified to tech rate. I had to get certified copies of all certificates, letters from firms I have worked for saying I have worked as an electrician and supply details of all kind of work I have done and the tools I have used.
After this I was called in for a technical interview, questions where asked about the type of work I had done and could I explain various things to him. Then I was given a test paper to do. After this we went through the answers, he was satisfied I new what I was on about if he is not satisfied the he may ask to to attend a practical test, I was then told it would go to a tribunal with his recommedation which sat every month. After a few weeks I got a certifcate to say my qualifications where okay. Next step is to take this to the office of the electrical inspector, and apply for your licence, they will only issue you with a supervised one which lasts for 3 years and is not renewable. In the 3 years you have to attend a college to gain a LEM assessment you the get your A or E licence. All this will cost about $1000 in all plus unless you are fresh out of college some time to brush up for the test.
E- mail me if you need any more info
Good Luck
Auto
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by spencerwilde
Hello all

Myself and my partner(who is an electrician) hope to land in melbourne early November 2003. We are just awaiting the go ahead to send our visas to be stamped.

Are you finding it hard to gain employment in the electrical field over there???

I hope we don't find this a problem
Hi
First you will need a licence ( see answer to other post) on the work side there is work about, I just need to push myself a bit harder, after having 14 months off this is hard, especially as before I left the UK I was working 7 days a week all the time, but I am beginning to get a bit bored now, so I am going to try harder.
Good luck
Auto
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Hi Petra
I had a few problems getting my licence the main one being the guy at the the TRA centre treats you like you know nothing although I have been a spark for 25years JIB qualified to tech rate. I had to get certified copies of all certificates, letters from firms I have worked for saying I have worked as an electrician and supply details of all kind of work I have done and the tools I have used.
After this I was called in for a technical interview, questions where asked about the type of work I had done and could I explain various things to him. Then I was given a test paper to do. After this we went through the answers, he was satisfied I new what I was on about if he is not satisfied the he may ask to to attend a practical test, I was then told it would go to a tribunal with his recommedation which sat every month. After a few weeks I got a certifcate to say my qualifications where okay. Next step is to take this to the office of the electrical inspector, and apply for your licence, they will only issue you with a supervised one which lasts for 3 years and is not renewable. In the 3 years you have to attend a college to gain a LEM assessment you the get your A or E licence. All this will cost about $1000 in all plus unless you are fresh out of college some time to brush up for the test.
E- mail me if you need any more info
Good Luck
Auto
Also look at this site
www.ocei.vic.gov.au
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:37 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your info auto.....you're a star
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

spencerwilde is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Auto

Steven already knew about the licence so we're ok.........probably look to start work after Xmas and the NY so we can chill out, learn to surf and travel about abit to get ourselves accustomed to Ozzy life!!

can't wait:PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Auto

What part of Melbourne do you live in.

BooBoo
Old Sep 4th 2003, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by booboo
hi Auto

What part of Melbourne do you live in.

BooBoo
Hi BooBoo
We are in Ivanhoe now, having lived in the CBD and East Melbourne, we are slowly making our way out.
Auto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.