Melbourne

Old Apr 7th 2003, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne

Who's emigrating to Melbourne and why ?

Let's share our thoughts on Melbourne - The good AND the bad please...............spill the beanzzzzzz

Terry
Old Apr 7th 2003, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

shelljen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne

Originally posted by terryg

Let's share our thoughts on Melbourne - The good AND the bad please...............spill the beanzzzzzz

Terry

Hi TerryG

We're looking at Melbourne as a definate move for work reasons. Been endlessly studying sites for real estate and schools etc.

Everything I've read sounds positive (not exactly going to post the negatives on vic. websites I guess!!)

Not too cold, not too hot, everyone seems to be on their way to Perth or Brisbane, Thought we'd go for something a little different!!!!

M&J
Old Apr 7th 2003, 8:37 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Were emmigrating to Melbourne as we found the city cosmopolitan. We will get to watch the Boxing Day test match at the MCG.

But the main pull is the fantastic friends we made there when we visited a couple of our friends who came over to the UK to play cricket for my husbands local team.

We already have a social life in Oz they are just waiting on us joining them.

We are heading to the Mornington Peninsula one cos our friends all live down there and two you get the vineyards, the ocean, the scenery and it is commuting distance from the city if that is where we end up working.

We have visited Sydney and Adelaide but they did nothing for us. OK Sydney was great as a Tourist but we would not like to live there can't say in words why not.

Adelaide had very little going for it. There were some lovely buildings but you try and find somewhere to eat after 9pm we found it like a ghost town.

Maybe we are swayed by our friends in melbourne but its as good a reason as any to settle there at least we have people to help us out when we first arrive and show us the ropes from an aussie perspective.

I am all for keeping in touch with friends from the UK in Australia and it is important for people who arrive not knowing anyone else however in the UK people do slate nationalities for trying to recreate their own customs and cultures within a community in a city. I do not want that in Oz I want to fit into the Oz culture and lifestyle from the start.

Jo and Shami

Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Scoops is an unknown quantity at this point

Terry

Terry.

Not 100% sure yet.

Melbourne or Adelaide

Benefits of Melbourne from research so far:

Job prospects
Beaches
Cultural diversity
Sports
Theatres/ events
Restaurants
Universities

Against:

House prices
Stamp duty on housing
Cost of living compared to Adelaide

Intend to visit Melbourne in the summer and have a good look at housing and schools/colleges.

Regards,

Scoops
Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:27 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We have been looking at Melbourne. It seems to have what we want. I guess we will have to pay the bigger house prices if we want the life style. We wish to go skiing and live near the sea.

We are looking at Frankston and sorrounds at the mo...

Seaford has the ballet school for my eldest, but that is as far as my research has gone.

Has anybody else looked into these areas.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice
Cool

Hi

I've been looking a Melbourne because i can get a job easier there, i could have found work in Adelaide but it seem a bit too quiet there, Sydney is too expensive so Melbourne it is.
Sure house prices are dearer but my salary takes that into account.
Everything i've read about it sounds great and i'm now looking at secondary schools for my two kids.
Sure there will be negative bits but i'm more than prepared to give it my best shot!!!
Mandy
Old Apr 7th 2003, 10:10 pm

arridia is an unknown quantity at this point

I plan to start the migration process at some point in the next three to four years. I've done a lot of home work and made a lot of visits.

Melbourne I have to admit is my favourite. It likes the supreme geographical location Sydney has so it doesn't quite match up on the outdoor social side of things, however, in my humble opinion, what makes Melbourne is the people.

they never fail to impress me. They have time for you and each other. they take a real interest in each other and hold no prejudice. Friendly, outgoing, helpful, balanced, educated and less eratic. When I am in a poition to submit my application for migration, Melbourne is the place I believe will be easiest to settle down in - simply because of the people.

In addition!!! - The city itself is impressive. The building and development of facilities for the locals is astonishing. This is a city in a hurry and keen to impress. The public transport is excellent as is the food, cultural venues, libraries, shopping. The prices are on the rise but they certainly are not at Sydney's level yet.

The list could go on but if you are look to find somewhere easier to settle then Melbourne takes some beating. The people are jut friendly and helpful and that has to be a worth a lot when in unfamiliar places.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Terry
Hi everyone heading for Melbourne.I am also heading there, beginning of Sept.Mornington area.Hubbys job is going to be there.Got our visas last week, so anyone wanna chat,swap info feel free.We have 2 kids, girl 13 and boy 11.Might get to meet up with some of you.We are all in the same boat so lets make an effort to keep in touch.Good luck to you all.Jan Hutchy,
Melbournehere we come....
Old Apr 10th 2003, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

ian.linda is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool melbourne

hi to everyone going to Melbourne. we're newcommers to the site., got our visas 2 weeks ago via stni. we're also thinking of Mornington area. we haven't been to aussi yet, but plan to move to melbourne within the next 3 months. we have one son aged 12, so we're trying to find info on schools, housing etc in the mornington/Frankston area. would be grateful if anyone has any info . Likewise, if anyone wants info on migration application via stni, feel free to drop us a line.

Ian & Linda
Old Apr 10th 2003, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default melbourne

Hi Terry

Had my friend around on Tuesday evening as she has lived in Melbourne. She brought all her maps along and all her personal knowldege og Melbourne.

I asked her loads of questions

Such as....

Do immigrants find it harder to find work as opposed to Aussies.
Answer was no.

The people of Melbourne are very friendly and helpful. She said if she stood there with a map in her hand at least ten people would offer her and her husband help.

The restaurants are great, as are the parks, national parks, wildlife, beaches, trams etc.

She is originally from Germany and she says that Britain is very expensive and that we work to pay our bills over here and little else.
She said East of Melbourne were definatley the best place to live and try to avoid the west as it is for poorer people. Sorry westsiders.....
She described the birds that fly around in Melbourne and the penguins and they sound so beautiful. She lived there for a
few good years and would love to go back to raise her children there.
The only negative thing she could think of was that the school uniforms can sometimes be weird colours!!!! So if that,s all to worry about then there is no need to worry.
She is going to give me her friends email who lives in Doncaster, Melbourne so that I may ask him questions.

Also I noticed that Alan collect resides in Melbourne. I wonder if he could give us all the low down on Melbourne????

Cheers BooBoo
Old Apr 10th 2003, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

BJKLiffey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hutchy
Hi everyone heading for Melbourne.I am also heading there, beginning of Sept.Mornington area.Hubbys job is going to be there.Got our visas last week, so anyone wanna chat,swap info feel free.We have 2 kids, girl 13 and boy 11.Might get to meet up with some of you.We are all in the same boat so lets make an effort to keep in touch.Good luck to you all.Jan Hutchy,
Melbournehere we come....
Hi,

We are also emmigrating to melbourne and hope to be out there by October,

If anyone has any info would be great to here from anyone.

How long after your medicals and police checks went back did you receive your visa.?

ps Jan where in sunderland do you live ??,

Regards

Karen & Brendan
Old Apr 11th 2003, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

parrot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we're heading for Melbourne too. Got our visas and we're flying out on the 30th September and travelling for two months before finishing off in Melbourne. We'll need the break by then after packing/shipping/finishing work/saying goodbye and we're saving all our holiday up at work so we get a bit of extra money before we leave.
Chose Melbourne because of the job opportunities, city is fantastic, climate has seasons, beach on one side, mountains on the other, more affordable than Sydney... the list goes on really. We just felt that of all the cities we visited Melbourne was the one for us!
Worse thing now is waiting to hand my notice in at work!
parrot
Old Apr 11th 2003, 12:42 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Terry
Glad to see some pro Melbournites for a change ( Perth must be an English County in Oz by now ! )
My wife and I decided to emigrate to Oz two years ago and got our visas last months. We lived in Sydney for 18 months a couple of years back and thats what prompted the move.
Although having not really been to Melbourne much we thought we could use this opportunity to go to where ever we wanted and after much research we decided on Melb. it seems to have so much going for it.
Therefore we shall be there by Sept and looking forward to it and if anyone wants to meet up for a welcome beer or sag let us know .....
Simon.
Old Apr 11th 2003, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

May change mind about Brissie and head to melbourne. Everyone has great things to say for a change. We did look at Melbourne because there is so much there but the house prices put us off.

footie chick
Old Apr 11th 2003, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by BJKLiffey
Hi,

We are also emmigrating to melbourne and hope to be out there by October,

If anyone has any info would be great to here from anyone.

How long after your medicals and police checks went back did you receive your visa.?

ps Jan where in sunderland do you live ??,

Regards

Karen & Brendan
Hello,

We used to live at Hallfarm but sold our house 4 weeks ago and now living with friends near the General Hospital until we leave on the 2 Sep 03.

Janice and Terry Hutchinson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.