Meeting the locals?

Meeting the locals?

Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough
Default Meeting the locals?

Hi everyone,

Where are you going to meet the locals?

My husband now has a job as a trainee car salesman and I work from home.
We don't have kids and no particular love of sports (except F1 - fingers crossed for Lewis Hamilton this weekend!). We do have a '71 Mustang and are in the process of joining some local car clubs.

I've just been to our local migrant centre and had a chat with them and volunteered for a few things although the migrants they are usually dealing with don't speak English and they need a proper settlement package.

I've also been told about a skilled migrant centre run by lifeline that I will check out.

So where have you gone to meet people and start making new friends?

I'm just looking for some generic ideas but I'm actually in Mt Gambier in SE South Australia if you want to give some specifics in that area!

Thanks for any advice / tips.

Karen
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meeting the locals?

Originally Posted by kaz101
Hi everyone,

Where are you going to meet the locals?

My husband now has a job as a trainee car salesman and I work from home.
We don't have kids and no particular love of sports (except F1 - fingers crossed for Lewis Hamilton this weekend!). We do have a '71 Mustang and are in the process of joining some local car clubs.

I've just been to our local migrant centre and had a chat with them and volunteered for a few things although the migrants they are usually dealing with don't speak English and they need a proper settlement package.

I've also been told about a skilled migrant centre run by lifeline that I will check out.

So where have you gone to meet people and start making new friends?

I'm just looking for some generic ideas but I'm actually in Mt Gambier in SE South Australia if you want to give some specifics in that area!

Thanks for any advice / tips.

Karen
Hi Karen,

Well I began to meet through BE - there must be people on BE that are located close by to you? If so, go to a meet up and then hopefully you will meet others at the same time. Some of the folks we have met have Oz spouses, and then you begin to become part of an extended circle of friends - not always easy but worth the effort.

Sarah
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling the same a bit too...

Know that we have to get a new circle of social friends to make this work, but the suburbs where we are living has no pubs or social clubs other than those filled with Pokies..

We've just sent off membership forms to a bush walking club, to try to get out and meet people.

I've tried e-mailing a couple of the Oz versions of the hobby groups I've been involved with in the UK and had no reply whatsoever (may be need to try harder).

Keep thinking about BE meet ups in Sydney on a Thursday night, but getting to CBD on the train is a real hassle and with the car, I can't drink, plus I need to be on form on Friday mornings. Not sure meeting Expats is the right way to go anyway.

Just moved in to our new rental - so may be a house warming party is in order...?
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hi Karen,

Well I began to meet through BE - there must be people on BE that are located close by to you? If so, go to a meet up and then hopefully you will meet others at the same time. Some of the folks we have met have Oz spouses, and then you begin to become part of an extended circle of friends - not always easy but worth the effort.

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

I've tried asking for a meet in this area but it's not that popular a place to move to - although we like it! So I've not had any response from people in this area.

Karen
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Feeling the same a bit too...

Know that we have to get a new circle of social friends to make this work, but the suburbs where we are living has no pubs or social clubs other than those filled with Pokies..

We've just sent off membership forms to a bush walking club, to try to get out and meet people.

I've tried e-mailing a couple of the Oz versions of the hobby groups I've been involved with in the UK and had no reply whatsoever (may be need to try harder).

Keep thinking about BE meet ups in Sydney on a Thursday night, but getting to CBD on the train is a real hassle and with the car, I can't drink, plus I need to be on form on Friday mornings. Not sure meeting Expats is the right way to go anyway.

Just moved in to our new rental - so may be a house warming party is in order...?
If the clubs have phone numbers then try calling them. I found the same thing although they respond to a phone call - not sure whether they just don't check their email that often!

Karen
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Red_V_Roger;5430127]Not sure meeting Expats is the right way to go anyway.

QUOTE]

Ah, I've had so many conersations with other ex-pats who thought this in the beginning (so did I) but in reality you're likely to find people who are in a similar situation (with regards to looking to meet new people) this way - it doesn't mean that they'll all necessarily be your best buddies for life, but it is a good starting point, and can often be a springboard to other things too.

If Thursday nights don't work for you I don't know if Newcomers Network events might be better - they used to be on Sundays but I've got a feeling they're moving to Friday nights next month. I keep planning to go along to it, but something else comes up every time.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz101
If the clubs have phone numbers then try calling them. I found the same thing although they respond to a phone call - not sure whether they just don't check their email that often!

Karen
It must be the power of BE. After 3 months...I've just had an e-mail from the leader of one of the groups I'm interested in and they would be delighted to have me!!

---without going in to detail my interests aren't as simple as joining a footy club etc - it involves quite a lot of 'sensitive' info handling..so wasn't sure if they thought I wasn't suitable.

I'll take a look at Newcomers Network - would suit me better than Thursdays,
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
It must be the power of BE. After 3 months...I've just had an e-mail from the leader of one of the groups I'm interested in and they would be delighted to have me!!

---without going in to detail my interests aren't as simple as joining a footy club etc - it involves quite a lot of 'sensitive' info handling..so wasn't sure if they thought I wasn't suitable.

I'll take a look at Newcomers Network - would suit me better than Thursdays,
That's great news!

Karen
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Throw a barbie for people in your area and see who comes
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Clubs is a good idea, for sure. Shame that you are working from home - work can be a great place to meet people. I'd say get as much 'air time' as you can out of the house - for example weed the front lawn and talk to anyone who goes past! I walk the dogs most mornings now and say hello to lots of people down the street - then when they have a 'street bbq' they will invite you. I made a big effort to chat to our neighbours and be friendly - it's easy, as they are lovely, we are very lucky - and that got us a few bbq invites as well, where you meet other people in the area. Also the gym, coz you'll meet people whose go at the same time as you, and the gym is bloody boring unless you talk to people there!
Chat to everyone and anyone, whenever you get an opportunity, and some of those people that you chat to regularly will turn in to friends. It it a total cliche but it really does take time to build up any kind of real friendship. Oh and you can have no pride whatsoever! Accept every invite, even the pity invites to things you may not really want to go to (I get lots of those, as am home alone a lot, but I say yes to every single one!)

It will happen - you just have to keep putting yourself out there.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by esperanza
Clubs is a good idea, for sure. Shame that you are working from home - work can be a great place to meet people. I'd say get as much 'air time' as you can out of the house - for example weed the front lawn and talk to anyone who goes past! I walk the dogs most mornings now and say hello to lots of people down the street - then when they have a 'street bbq' they will invite you. I made a big effort to chat to our neighbours and be friendly - it's easy, as they are lovely, we are very lucky - and that got us a few bbq invites as well, where you meet other people in the area. Also the gym, coz you'll meet people whose go at the same time as you, and the gym is bloody boring unless you talk to people there!
Chat to everyone and anyone, whenever you get an opportunity, and some of those people that you chat to regularly will turn in to friends. It it a total cliche but it really does take time to build up any kind of real friendship. Oh and you can have no pride whatsoever! Accept every invite, even the pity invites to things you may not really want to go to (I get lots of those, as am home alone a lot, but I say yes to every single one!)

It will happen - you just have to keep putting yourself out there.
We are talking to everyone and anyone so maybe I'm just being impatient. The neighbours are great - we went round and introduced ourselves once we'd been in our place just over a week.

It's a bit too chilly for BBQ's yet around here though.

I would accept any invite if I got any!

Thanks,
Karen