Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Meds Done Today - Slight Problem

Meds Done Today - Slight Problem

Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:48 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road
Default Meds Done Today - Slight Problem

Just to let you all know we had our Meds/X Rays done today. All well except I was put under Cat B (Under Active Thyroid Problem) and after 2 tests I had blood in my urine. I have been asked to go back in a week to have another test, so looks like I will be drinking plenty of water over the next 7 days.

I have a question if anyone can advise please.

If you are put down as a Catogory B, does this always mean that you have to validate your visa within 6 months or is it a case by case decision. The doctor said because I was on daily medication I had to be classed as a Cat B, but she had no idea how they decided on the validation period.

For your info, we are a family of 5 so for 3 full meds (eldest 17) 4 Xrays and 2 Child meds plus blood test for 3 the total was £625.00.

3 year olds med contained

Weight & Height
Questions regarding milestones reached, including asking the 3 year old questions.
Eyes, ears and mouth check, General exam, reflexes and eye test with Picture card.

For the rest of us

X Rays
Weight, Height & Urine sample
General Examination, (did not put 14 yr old through Testies exam) thought too embarrassing for him. 17 year old didn't escape.
Blood Pressure
Reflexes and eye test.

Blood Test for all above 15

All in all not too bad, total time 3 Hours.

Julia
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:39 pm
Cheeky

Default Re: Meds Done Today - Slight Problem

Originally Posted by Springo
Just to let you all know we had our Meds/X Rays done today. All well except I was put under Cat B (Under Active Thyroid Problem) and after 2 tests I had blood in my urine. I have been asked to go back in a week to have another test, so looks like I will be drinking plenty of water over the next 7 days.

I have a question if anyone can advise please.

If you are put down as a Catogory B, does this always mean that you have to validate your visa within 6 months or is it a case by case decision. The doctor said because I was on daily medication I had to be classed as a Cat B, but she had no idea how they decided on the validation period.

For your info, we are a family of 5 so for 3 full meds (eldest 17) 4 Xrays and 2 Child meds plus blood test for 3 the total was £625.00.

3 year olds med contained

Weight & Height
Questions regarding milestones reached, including asking the 3 year old questions.
Eyes, ears and mouth check, General exam, reflexes and eye test with Picture card.

For the rest of us

X Rays
Weight, Height & Urine sample
General Examination, (did not put 14 yr old through Testies exam) thought too embarrassing for him. 17 year old didn't escape.
Blood Pressure
Reflexes and eye test.

Blood Test for all above 15

All in all not too bad, total time 3 Hours.

Julia
Hi Julia

Just to say thanks for the breakdown of the medical, costings and procedure, very useful info.

Im sorry I cant help you with the cat b question but Im sure someone on here will know and soon respond.

I just wanted to ask you if you have recieved acknowledgement for your application, where you asked for the meds?? We have sent our application in at the beginning of Aug, they have taken our money but still no response. We havent done the medicals yet we were going to wait until they are requested.

Thanks Cheeky

Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:20 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi Julia

Just to say thanks for the breakdown of the medical, costings and procedure, very useful info.

Im sorry I cant help you with the cat b question but Im sure someone on here will know and soon respond.

I just wanted to ask you if you have recieved acknowledgement for your application, where you asked for the meds?? We have sent our application in at the beginning of Aug, they have taken our money but still no response. We havent done the medicals yet we were going to wait until they are requested.

Thanks Cheeky

Hi Cheeky

No we have had our meds done unrequested, a bit risky I know but a few personal circumstances, ie House selling and Business selling prompted us to go ahead and have them done, just in case something showed up. I am now feeling very nervous.

When we applied for the visa lots of Post July were being acknowledged really quickly and med requests were happening so I thought it wouldn't be a problem, now it appears to have gone very quiet.

I am just hoping we haven't jumped too quick, especially with the Cat B problem. Hmmmmm Fools rush in and all that. Well fingers crossed, I will watch out for your post on acknowledgement, mine should be after yours.

Julia
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:42 pm
Cheeky

Originally Posted by Springo
Hi Cheeky

No we have had our meds done unrequested, a bit risky I know but a few personal circumstances, ie House selling and Business selling prompted us to go ahead and have them done, just in case something showed up. I am now feeling very nervous.

When we applied for the visa lots of Post July were being acknowledged really quickly and med requests were happening so I thought it wouldn't be a problem, now it appears to have gone very quiet.

I am just hoping we haven't jumped too quick, especially with the Cat B problem. Hmmmmm Fools rush in and all that. Well fingers crossed, I will watch out for your post on acknowledgement, mine should be after yours.

Julia
Hi again Julia

I dont think you've jumped too quick for the meds, I think they are valid for 12 mths anyway. Its probably a wise decision to have gone ahead given your situation. Im tempted to go ahead with them also, but im hanging on in there!! Im sure everything will be fine for you. Good luck with tests next week, keep us posted and yes I will be 'screamin' on here even if I only receive an acknowledgement!!

best 'o' luck Cheeky