Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicine to calm the kids on long flight???

Medicine to calm the kids on long flight???

Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Guocera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicine to calm the kids on long flight???

Hi Guys

I have 2 young children and taking them on a 14hr flight is not something I am looking forward to. I am sure they will be fine and enjoy every moment but just in case we get up there and they dont like it!!!! :scared: Does anyone know of some medicine we can give them. I did read once that you could get something over the counter but now I need to know I cant remember what it is. It just makes them sleepy!

Thanks guys!
Lissax
Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicine to calm the kids on long flight???

There was a thread a week or so ago about this very same thing. Can't remember who because I wasn't interested in it but I think it became a tad emotional. Try a search
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:16 am
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Guocera
Hi Guys

I have 2 young children and taking them on a 14hr flight is not something I am looking forward to. I am sure they will be fine and enjoy every moment but just in case we get up there and they dont like it!!!! :scared: Does anyone know of some medicine we can give them. I did read once that you could get something over the counter but now I need to know I cant remember what it is. It just makes them sleepy!

Thanks guys!
Lissax

Phenergan! tastes viol! you could also give a couple of spoonfuls of Piriton Syrup (nice minty taste) or a tablet if they are big enough.

Not that I am an expert in drugging my kids

Vicsxx
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:18 am
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jimmy Cliff
Phenergan! tastes viol! you could also give a couple of spoonfuls of Piriton Syrup (nice minty taste) or a tablet if they are big enough.

Not that I am an expert in drugging my kids

Vicsxx
Just an afterthought, depending on when you want them to be sleepy, you need to give both medicines a couple of hours to work as they are kids and will not stop willingly ! take in to account when planning x

Vics xx
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:29 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Thanks guys!
Lissax
Dont forget something for the parents
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Jokat will become famous soon enoughJokat will become famous soon enough

Hya Lissa,
Lynda here, sounds like you're ready for the off! Anyway, re sedatives for kids - I remember my GP telling me once that it wouldn't do the kids any harm to give them Piriton, usually sold over the counter for hay fever! It works as a sedative. If you went to see the doctor and explained what you need it for, you may be able to get Valigan (I think thats how its spelt!). Its a sedative and our Kathryn was once prescribed it for night terrors. It would do them no harm whatsoever, and it tastes nice too! I've also used Rescue Remedy on a few occasions - not a sedative but does seem to do a good job of calming kids, adults (and dogs I'm told!) down.
I thought about sedating our kids but never actually did anything about it - didn't have any problems either, but I would imagine its more difficult with two children under 6! And remember if all else fails there's always the cattle prod!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:12 am
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Thanks guys!
Lissax

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382027, here you go, makes an interesting read.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I travelled with a 6yr old & 20mths. Was told by chemist not to give them anything but I did give them a spoonfull of calpol for good measure. You will be fine. Most people were really helpful trying to distract the little man when he became restless. I was dreading it but it really isnt as bad as it seems. Its a pain granted trying to keep them occupied. I did a goodie bag for them ( an idea off here) where they could open a small item every time i needed a distraction. just bought cheap items from the pound shop. They loved it.
good luck you will be fine! You're a mother after all & we always cope in the end!!!
Kaz x
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:42 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Thanks guys!
Lissax
14 hours? That's a breeze. You'll be fine, just keep them entertained and agree to sleep in shifts with your OH if you need to (as long as you're flying with your OH and if not, let the airline know you will need help - or go Emirates, as they have entertainment people on board!) , but I'm sure you'll be fine. Goody bag, favourite treats, books, crayons, little pots of play doh, and then don't forget that they're going to love their dinner on a tray on the plane and goodies come on that tray too, plus the TV and games, with remote control. And then after all that, they have to sleep some time.
They'll be fine. You'll be fine.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Sammy-G will become famous soon enoughSammy-G will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys

Thanks guys!
Lissax
Hi Lissa

I don't have children myself. but I'm a half aussie, half brit who used to travel back and forth from aus to london with my mum sometimes twice a year for almost 10 years. At one point my mum did the trip with three of us under five (always on her own - my dad would stay in aus), and she never had any need to give us anything. We each had a backpack which was packed choc full of new things and we weren't allowed to open it until on the plane. It really did keep us amused, and she says even now that she was constantly complemented by other passengers with regard to how well behaved we were - so it can be done!

My brother now has a five year old and has no problem with him doing the trip between uk and aus either - I guess just being well prepared is the key.

I have done the trip so many times now (I'm 27 and have been backwards and forwards all my life), and often see parents with children, and 9 times out of 10 the behaviour is excellent and other passengers are generally understanding.

All the best

Sammy
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Thanks guys!
Lissax

We travelled with three girls, 15, 8 and 4, and didn't drug them once, be patient and thoughtful of there needs and you won't need anything. One lady actually commented on my 4 year oldsaying she was the best behaved child she had ever met, and believe you me she never ever sits still, so don't panic and treat it like an adventure.

Apart from that on a 21 hour! flight there was games and food like you have never known and sleep inbetween so I think you will be fine. You know your kids and what they like so just treat it like a full day out and what you are going to need to keep them happy.

I found it was after you arrive and the jetlag kicks in, everyone just collapses and sleeps for about 2 weeks anyway, my oldest is in bed for at the latest 9.00 pm every night since we got here and she was never in bed before 11pm in the UK so honestly have faith in your kids, they ,might just surprise you!!!

Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

As mentioned on the previous thread a few weeks ago, if your going to give them piriton or phernagan, do a dummy run a week before, to make sure they dont have any reactions or are sick with it., I used phernaghan for kids last time we went to aus and it just made them sleepy , although they did not sleep very well, but it did calm the youngest who has a bit of a behaviour issue.(wild to say the least), now she's older dont know if i'll use it this time but try the bribary first hand , but who knows.

sj :scared:
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

andyspud is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Thanks guys!
Lissax
Hi its an antihistamine called fennigan(not sure if thats how its spelt) but its supposed to work a friend of mine swears by it. I shall be trying it with my three.

It is available over the counter. Hope that helps and happy flying
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Guocera is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Medicine to calm the kids on long flight???

WOW!!! Thanks ever so much everyone for your fantastic replies!!!!! It made great reading and was extremely helpful! Some fab points to take into account like trying the medicine first the week before and buying loads of little pressies for them on the plane! Thanks very much It has really put my mind at rest.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

Lissa xxxxxxxxxxxx