Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare while on a 410 visa

Medicare while on a 410 visa

Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicare while on a 410 visa

I have some friends who are currently here on a 410 retirement visa from UK. They have applied for a contributory parent visa but as everyone knows the wait is ages. Anyway, the wife needs to have a procedure done which is somewhat urgent but not an emergency. Is it correct that once a PR visa is applied for onshore a person is entitled to full Medicare? I did look at the Medicare site but couldn't find what I was looking for there.

Help is karma worthy.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare while on a 410 visa

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Is it correct that once a PR visa is applied for onshore a person is entitled to full Medicare?
That is true but not if the person is applying for a Parent Visa. It says: [While waiting for their new visa to be granted] "Non-citizens in Australia are eligible for Medicare if they have applied for a permanent residency visa other than a Parent Visa."

Read here (scroll down to the bit about Medicare): http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1024i.pdf

If you think about it, it is logical: People on a contributory parent visa have to pay a hefty chunk of money should they fall ill and need to use Medicare. It wouldn't make much sense to allow visa applicants access to Medicare before they've handed over the cash. (I don't mean this to sound harsh; but I think that is the logic behind the rule.)
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
That is true but not if the person is applying for a Parent Visa. It says: [While waiting for their new visa to be granted] "Non-citizens in Australia are eligible for Medicare if they have applied for a permanent residency visa other than a Parent Visa."

Read here (scroll down to the bit about Medicare): http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1024i.pdf

If you think about it, it is logical: People on a contributory parent visa have to pay a hefty chunk of money should they fall ill and need to use Medicare. It wouldn't make much sense to allow visa applicants access to Medicare before they've handed over the cash. (I don't mean this to sound harsh; but I think that is the logic behind the rule.)
Yes, it is logical. Especially when the wait is so bloody long.

Thanks for your help and karma has been despatched.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

People on a contributory parent visa have to pay a hefty chunk of money should they fall ill and need to use Medicare.
Not true

People on a contributory parent visa have exactly the same medicare rights as any other PR visa holder.....they do not have to pay anything extra once they have the visa.

G
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
People on a contributory parent visa have exactly the same medicare rights as any other PR visa holder.....they do not have to pay anything extra once they have the visa.
Part of the process of getting the visa is parting with the cash ...
That's why applicants for the visa don't have the right to Medicare. Only once the visa has been granted can they access Medicare.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the process of getting the visa is parting with the cash ...
That's why applicants for the visa don't have the right to Medicare. Only once the visa has been granted can they access Medicare.
Indeed......but you originally said that:

" People on a contributory parent visa have to pay a hefty chunk of money should they fall ill and need to use Medicare".

They don't....I was correcting that statement.

G
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Indeed......but you originally said that:

" People on a contributory parent visa have to pay a hefty chunk of money should they fall ill and need to use Medicare".

They don't....I was correcting that statement.
Dorothy was asking about applicants. And that was what I was writing about. I am really surprised you didn't get that, especially as you yourself have a contributory parent visa - age getting to you ?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Dorothy was asking about applicants. And that was what I was writing about. I am really surprised you didn't get that, especially as you yourself have a contributory parent visa - age getting to you ?
Go and re read what you said and then apologise....This is your post:

"That is true but not if the person is applying for a Parent Visa. It says: [While waiting for their new visa to be granted] "Non-citizens in Australia are eligible for Medicare if they have applied for a permanent residency visa other than a Parent Visa."

If you think about it, it is logical: People on a contributory parent visa have to pay a hefty chunk of money should they fall ill and need to use Medicare. It wouldn't make much sense to allow visa applicants access to Medicare before they've handed over the cash. (I don't mean this to sound harsh; but I think that is the logic behind the rule.)"

People on a contributory parent visa do not have to pay: "a hefty chunk of money should they they fall ill and have to use medicare".

G

Last edited by Grayling; Sep 14th 2009 at 9:29 am. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:34 am
Still alive

Well, thanks for the argument about semantics instead of giving an answer. Very helpful.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well, thanks for the argument about semantics instead of giving an answer. Very helpful.
I was giving an answer and it is not semantics.

Ozhappy's first post gave the impression that those on a parent visa would still need to pay a hefty sum if they became ill and needed medicare.....which is simply not true.

If this forum is supposed to give information then at least it should be accurate,....read it again yourself.

G
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Ozhappy's first post gave the impression that those on a parent visa would still need to pay a hefty sum if they became ill and needed medicare
I said nothing of the sort.

Go and take a chill-pill. And it you have nothing helpful to post - don't post (just a suggestion).

Your pot-stirring posts were amusing for a while - but it's getting really boring YAWN.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:54 am
Bitter and twisted

I said nothing of the sort.

Go and take a chill-pill. And it you have nothing helpful to post - don't post (just a suggestion).

Your pot-stirring posts were amusing for a while - but it's getting really boring YAWN.
This is what you posted in post no. 2:

"If you think about it, it is logical: "People on a contributory parent visa have to pay a hefty chunk of money should they fall ill and need to use Medicare".

An apology please.