Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medicare reciprocal agreement

medicare reciprocal agreement

Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

kirrane is on a distinguished road
Default medicare reciprocal agreement

under the medicare reciprocal agreement is everyting covered or is some stuff not included.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice
Default Re: medicare reciprocal agreement

Originally Posted by kirrane
under the medicare reciprocal agreement is everyting covered or is some stuff not included.
you still have to pay for appointments $ aprox 60 per 15 min consultation plus extra depending on how long and this will differ depending on where you go ! also you pay for your perscriptions approx $30 -50 i think depends on how much and what ! $110 for optician appointment and for eye ointment of zovirex it was $35 you can claim some back though!
oh i did break a bone in my foot /ankle and got x ray and seen to for nothing! so depends

sure you will get different views ;-)
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam mick kurt
you still have to pay for appointments $ aprox 60 per 15 min consultation plus extra depending on how long and this will differ depending on where you go ! also you pay for your perscriptions approx $30 -50 i think depends on how much and what ! $110 for optician appointment and for eye ointment of zovirex it was $35 you can claim some back though!
oh i did break a bone in my foot /ankle and got x ray and seen to for nothing! so depends

sure you will get different views ;-)
Are you talking as a PR or as a holidaying person or temp visa.

Jo
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

kirrane is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by joho
Are you talking as a PR or as a holidaying person or temp visa.

Jo
on a temp 457 visa
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

on a temp 457 visa
not sure on that one.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:42 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

on a temp 457 visa
It says on my Medicare card...

"RECIPROCAL HEALTH CARE - Immediate Necessary Care ONLY"

So anything that needs looking at straight away is covered but anything elective won't be...
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
not sure on that one.
Emergency treatment only......you are supposed to have private insurance on a 457 visa or your employer is responsible for your medical costs
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:56 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We have claimed back all doctors appointments, xrays, bloody tests etc - very few things appear not to be covered. Eye tests are not and nor is dental.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

We have made quite extensive use of our local (bulk billing) doctors surgery due to accident prone kids and various insect bites since we have been here and Medicare had covered us for everything. This has included blood tests etc.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:07 am
Just Joined

LoopyLyndaLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

we have been in Aus for about 14 months now and on a reciprocal medicare cover with the same visa as you. With three young boys we have been to the doctors a fair amount, some of the visits are for vaccinations and other just general visits.

We go to a clinic that bills medicare direct so we never have to pay at the time, some clinics you pay and then can reclaim. All GP visits so far seem to be covered, also all of us get one full eye examination a year each covered by medicare.

Recently I had cause to go to the hospital and had to have an x-ray and emergency treatment, it cost a fair amount but I should get most of it back.

I was somewhat shocked to see I had pay for prescriptions for the children but i guess it wasn't too expensive. I would suggest looking on the medicare website or going in to one of their 'shops' and asking for a leaflet on what is covered. i think more is covered than you first realise.

Lynda
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If you have kids, they seem to get everything covered under bulk billing - even on a 457 + RHA. So far our son has been to the doctors a few times (no charge) in casualty twice (no charge) and had a non-urgent operation under general anaesthetic (no charge). As other posters have suggested, the rest of the time you have to pay and get a certain amount back (about 50%). If you look at the quotes for 457 visa holder family insurance policies from people like HBF you will see why a lot of people gamble on the RHA provisions.

Mark