Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare & other state benefits

Medicare & other state benefits

Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:57 am
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light
Default Medicare & other state benefits

Hi there,

Can anyone give us a steer on Medicare for arriving on 139 visa...can we get it from day 1 or is there a wait?

If not then can anyone recommend any good private health insurance companies..

Also, what other benefits can be claimed...I understand that there is a 2 year wait for income support or Centrelink etc...but is there anything else that can be claimed...e.g. Child benefit or similar....or is everything held for 2 years...?

Just want to be ahead of the game...

Ray
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all
Default Re: Medicare & other state benefits

Originally Posted by RayZor
Hi there,

Can anyone give us a steer on Medicare for arriving on 139 visa...can we get it from day 1 or is there a wait?

Also, what other benefits can be claimed...I understand that there is a 2 year wait for income support or Centrelink etc...but is there anything else that can be claimed...e.g. Child benefit or similar....or is everything held for 2 years...?

Ray
Hi, not sure of the exact answers but my In-laws have just arrived from UK on a tourist visa and we went into medicare on Saturday with them and they filled out the forms and the cards will be posted to them, they are here for 3 months, so you would be covered by medicare from day 1. From what I hear child benefit is the only one that you can claim straight away, hope this helps.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Hi there,

Ray

You can get your medicare as soon as you arrive.You can also claim child benefit which also includes a rent allowance if you are renting a property.You can apply at a centrelink , they will give you the forms to fill in and you need to supply passports , visas etc. Can be a bit tricky as they ask about your income and if you haven't got a job already how much you think you'll be earning.We were advised to over estimate our income then at the end of finance year you will get a rebate if you haven't earned as much as pedicted rather than owing them!They will also backdate your child benefit from when you entered Aus.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Little Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant future

Hi, Can someone tell me is the childbenefit for all as in U.K or is it means tested? We have 3 children and have been here almost 2 years and we havent claimed anything.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Hazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine
Hi, Can someone tell me is the childbenefit for all as in U.K or is it means tested? We have 3 children and have been here almost 2 years and we havent claimed anything.

its not like the uk as a set payment per child, it goes off how much you earn in oz, we have been here 2 months and just got our payment through, im not working at the mo so we get more and we got it back dated from when we arrived, we aslo get some towards the rent, if i was you either ring center link or call in and ask them for the forms i think its called registering a new born/ child just tell them you have moved to aus and they will give you the correct forms.. you will get something if you both work it might be the basic payment but got to bet better than nothing..
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:39 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

It is means tested, call them to check that it is correct but it is possible if you are both working in well paid jobs that you may not be eligible.

Lynn
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Child benefit for 2 kids for a 2 income family cuts out totally at 88,000 AUD, after that you are on your own.

That would be hard to take if one also has the Average mortgage of 219,000 AUD.

Im not too sure what the repayments are on the average Mortgage, But if your a dual incomefamily around say 89,000 bucks you would be trying to live on somewhere between 400 to 500 bucks per week after the mortgage was paid. That would be doing it pretty tough I'd say.

I cant work out why the Child benefits cut out at that level.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough

I always thought that medicare and other state benefits should be for permanent residents and Americans. Am i right?

It does not make sense to me that non permanent residents and Americans get these benefits...
Old Jun 7th 2006, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
I always thought that medicare and other state benefits should be for permanent residents and Americans. Am i right?

It does not make sense to me that non permanent residents and Americans get these benefits...

If they are paying tax here, I dont see a problem, In fact they could well be earning more than average and paying higher tax thus contributing more and subsidising the system.

Wheres abcd, when you want him

How much do foreign workers contribute ABCD ?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 3:11 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005

Why should Americans be different from everyone else?

Lynn
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

This link gives you details about the different types of payments available from the family assistance office:

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/inter...ntent/payments

Some are income tested others are not, for example the Part B payments ignore the main income earner and are just based on the income of the lowest earning partner, for example if you have 2 kids aged 2 and 4 and the lowest earning partner had no income then you would get $117 a fortnight in Part B payments.

Cheers

Paul
Old Jun 7th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
Hi, not sure of the exact answers but my In-laws have just arrived from UK on a tourist visa and we went into medicare on Saturday with them and they filled out the forms and the cards will be posted to them, they are here for 3 months, so you would be covered by medicare from day 1. From what I hear child benefit is the only one that you can claim straight away, hope this helps.
if you are here on any temp/visitor visa, the medicare card will be endorsed "Reciprocal health care/immediately necessary care only" i.e. emergencies only, none of the other benefits.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 5:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Why should Americans be different from everyone else?

Lynn
Thats whats puzzling me! Where do the Americans come into it?!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 6:12 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Medicare & other state benefits

Hi there,

I can recommend HBF.

Where did you get the idea that there's a 2 year waiting list for income support or Centrelink?

Ray
The best way to do that is to get a job.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 6:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Medicare & other state benefits

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats whats puzzling me! Where do the Americans come into it?!
Could be because the Yanks' healthcare system is also called "Medicare"... perhaps the poster is confusing Australia with America?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.