Medicare levy

Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Question Medicare levy

We got PR in Nov 2005 but we're only moving to Oz in August. We have full medical insurance/SOS/dental etc through my OHs company. I've read somewhere about a 12 month window for getting insurance or you get hit with a big 12% levy. Does this window count from when PR was issued or actually arriving in the country?

Can anyone point me in the right direction/website?

Thanks

Galba
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:32 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare levy

In actual fact as a new migrant your age is capped at 30 if you take out insurance during the first year (no matter how old you are). After that there is a 2% increase in premiums for every year over 30 years of age when you first take insurance out.

Hope this helps.

Lou
xx

Forgaot that's 12 months from when you become resident in the country.

Originally Posted by galba
We got PR in Nov 2005 but we're only moving to Oz in August. We have full medical insurance/SOS/dental etc through my OHs company. I've read somewhere about a 12 month window for getting insurance or you get hit with a big 12% levy. Does this window count from when PR was issued or actually arriving in the country?

Can anyone point me in the right direction/website?

Thanks

Galba
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Weasy
In actual fact as a new migrant your age is capped at 30 if you take out insurance during the first year (no matter how old you are). After that there is a 2% increase in premiums for every year over 30 years of age when you first take insurance out.

Hope this helps.

Lou
xx

Thanks for that Lou Do you know of a website that has all that in official terms. OH doesn't believe anything I say on the matter unless it has been stated on an official website .

Galba
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:54 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link Galba http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...viders-faq.htm

It's actually called the lifetime health cover loading. The medicare levy is what you pay if you earn over a certain amount and don't have private health insurance.

Lou
xx
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Try this link Galba http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...viders-faq.htm

It's actually called the lifetime health cover loading. The medicare levy is what you pay if you earn over a certain amount and don't have private health insurance.

Lou
xx
Cheers Lou
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:14 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps.

Lou
xx

I can't find where it states that you have 12 months as a migrant to do this. Any pointers?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:39 am
Look at moi!!!

I read this on another forum and our private healthcare provider (and the others I got quotes from) confirmed it. Sure I've read it somewhere else too...

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Stitch
I can't find where it states that you have 12 months as a migrant to do this. Any pointers?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:02 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I read this on another forum and our private healthcare provider (and the others I got quotes from) confirmed it. Sure I've read it somewhere else too...

Lou
xx
Thanks very much. We arrived 1 year ago today but joined Medicare about 10 days later. Not very organised and just getting around to Health Insurance. Not sure whether the year is from landing or joining medicare. All a bit vague...

Thanks

Ginny
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:38 am
Look at moi!!!

It's from landing according the letter medicare gave us to give our private health provider. The good news is that there are cahnges coming in on the 1st July so if you keep up private hospital cover for some time then eventually you no longer have to pay the loading - can't remember how long though - sorry.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Stitch
Thanks very much. We arrived 1 year ago today but joined Medicare about 10 days later. Not very organised and just getting around to Health Insurance. Not sure whether the year is from landing or joining medicare. All a bit vague...

Thanks

Ginny
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It's from landing according the letter medicare gave us to give our private health provider. The good news is that there are cahnges coming in on the 1st July so if you keep up private hospital cover for some time then eventually you no longer have to pay the loading - can't remember how long though - sorry.

Lou
xx

10 Years.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:57 am
Look at moi!!!

Thanks Wendy

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Wendy
10 Years.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:49 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Thanks for the info guys...

Cheers

Ginny