Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare, family assistance??

Medicare, family assistance??

Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicare, family assistance??

hi can any of you wised up bodies explain a little about the qualifying period for medicare and, is it called family assistance (?) - i am presuming the second one is like our child benefit??? I was of the impression that new migrants had to wait 2 years to qualify (rightly in my opinion) but someone at work says i dont know what i am talkin about (wont be the first time)
Thanks
Mandy
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:55 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare, family assistance??

Originally Posted by daunted
hi can any of you wised up bodies explain a little about the qualifying period for medicare and, is it called family assistance (?) - i am presuming the second one is like our child benefit??? I was of the impression that new migrants had to wait 2 years to qualify (rightly in my opinion) but someone at work says i dont know what i am talkin about (wont be the first time)
Thanks
Mandy
It depends on the type of visa you have. If you have a visa with PR status, for example the Skilled independent visa (136), then you're eligible for medicare from the day you arrive in Oz. You will also be eligible for family assistance from the day you arrive in Oz (provided you don't earn too much), and in some state(s) for rent assistance (again, provided you don't earn too much). The two year waiting period applies to the Oz equivalent of unemployment benefit.

If you are going to Oz with a temporary visa, then things are different (generally no benefits at all).

Gina
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gina
thanks for replying. i will be going on a 136 visa. i am pleasantly surprised that i will be entitled to any of that - i didnt expect to be. I am a single parent who has always worked to support my family and i will continue to do so in Oz, scrubbing toilets if i have to, but it is nice knowing that particularly medicare is available.
mandy

ps - where abouts are you going in perth? my brother is in Beckenham now
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by GinaUK
It depends on the type of visa you have. If you have a visa with PR status, for example the Skilled independent visa (136), then you're eligible for medicare from the day you arrive in Oz. You will also be eligible for family assistance from the day you arrive in Oz (provided you don't earn too much), and in some state(s) for rent assistance (again, provided you don't earn too much). The two year waiting period applies to the Oz equivalent of unemployment benefit.

If you are going to Oz with a temporary visa, then things are different (generally no benefits at all).

Gina

If on a temp visa such as a 457 you will often get a bit of medicare assistance. They will cover reciprocal health care.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Gina
Heres a couple of stupid questions.

1. as a PR, am i covered even if i dont have medicare card yet? or do i have to get travel insurance for a couple of weeks just in case I need to pay a visit to the ER?

2. assuming i earn minimum wage and my kids travel back to the home country and will be away from oz for 2 months during the year, are you still paid child assistance?

thanks for any advice.....

cheers!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:39 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Gina
Isn't there a minor transition period between the actual date of arrival in the country and instigation of Medicare cover, during which they allow for the time it takes to get you into the system?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Also as a single parent you automatically qualify for the Part B Family Allowance in addition to the Part A (Part A is income tested)...have attached the Centrelink URL for you to take a look at:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...g_payments.htm

Cheers

Paul

Originally Posted by daunted
Hi Gina
thanks for replying. i will be going on a 136 visa. i am pleasantly surprised that i will be entitled to any of that - i didnt expect to be. I am a single parent who has always worked to support my family and i will continue to do so in Oz, scrubbing toilets if i have to, but it is nice knowing that particularly medicare is available.
mandy

ps - where abouts are you going in perth? my brother is in Beckenham now
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:57 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan
1. as a PR, am i covered even if i dont have medicare card yet? or do i have to get travel insurance for a couple of weeks just in case I need to pay a visit to the ER?
Yes, you are covered even if you don't have a medicare card yet. The way it works that without a medicare card you pay for the treatment, but then when you get your medicare number you claim that back).

One important thing to remember: medicare DOES NOT include ambulance cover. In Queensland you're covered for ambulance transport if you have electricity (there is a levy included in the bill). But, for example in WA you need insurance for ambulance transport. This has absolutely nothing to do with visa status - it's just the way things are.

So, on arrival, you would want to get yourself "ambulance insurance" pretty quickly - just in case ...

Gina

P.S. (Don't know the answer to your second question.)
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Yes, you are covered even if you don't have a medicare card yet. The way it works that without a medicare card you pay for the treatment, but then when you get your medicare number you claim that back).

One important thing to remember: medicare DOES NOT include ambulance cover. In Queensland you're covered for ambulance transport if you have electricity (there is a levy included in the bill). But, for example in WA you need insurance for ambulance transport. This has absolutely nothing to do with visa status - it's just the way things are.

So, on arrival, you would want to get yourself "ambulance insurance" pretty quickly - just in case ...

Gina

P.S. (Don't know the answer to your second question.)

Hi Gina!

thanks for the info! that is good since i was worried that i might need to get myself some travel insurance temporarily when I arrive because i thought it would take a few weeks to get into the system...nice to know that all that is required for basic coverage is that you hold an actual PR visa....

thanks for the info as well on the ambulance, i am glad Queensland covers you... i hear ambulance bills are ridiculously high assuming you had to pay for it....

cheers!