Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medicare - do you need private insurance as well?

medicare - do you need private insurance as well?

Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about
Default medicare - do you need private insurance as well?

Hi The title just about says it really, I am moving to Hervey Bay next month and I am wondering if we really need private health insurance. Can any one tell me what they have done or where I can find out what medicare covers.
Thank you Katie
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:58 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medicare - do you need private insurance as well?

Originally Posted by katiesel
Hi The title just about says it really, I am moving to Hervey Bay next month and I am wondering if we really need private health insurance. Can any one tell me what they have done or where I can find out what medicare covers.
Thank you Katie
Oh bum...I hate saying this ....but it depends!

It depends on
your age
your dependants
your expected level of care
your income
your future income

for a couple of ideas.....
You will need to pay a medicare levy if you earn over a certain income currently everyone paying tax puts in 1.5% which increases with single or dual income over high level. You can negate the increase if you have private medical.

You have certain benefits on getting private medical as you come into the country, age and time served will negate the beneifts the longer you stay.

You may or may not have children - depending on the levels of cover you have they may help with the costs of dental and orthondontic treatment the little blighters might need, averages are hard but paying up to $5000 per child per year for braces is not unheard of.

You may or may not have teeth you want to take care of - depending on your level of need dentist costs here can be steep and private medical can have a component of support for cleaning/repair.

You may or may not wear glasses - but your private medical can support costs.

You may or may not have female medical conditions about to happen - but private medical can take the sting out of the pesky but necessary surgery items that may occur later in life

For me and my family of four - I would not be without it. But equally I know people who would have wasted money in the last few years if they had paid for it.

Please look into your requirements carefully

Sorry I did not give an answer.

Cheers Sandra