Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare Cover versus Private health Insurance

Medicare Cover versus Private health Insurance

Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:25 am
Just Joined

brightonbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Medicare Cover versus Private health Insurance

Help please - I'm on a two year 457. My org are pressing me to take out health insurance although as a UK resident, I have a medicare card [ reciprocal agreement ]. I'm going back to UK in OCt where I when I will visit my dentist and have blood checks.

I have salary packaging but as a healthcare worker, I do not get a great slaary, live in Melbourne where rents are atronomical, and of course dont get any other tax allowances.

I'm in my 50ies [ yes, I did get a sponsored visa!!!!] ans worry about becoming unwell but seem to be Ok at the moment .

Advice please?????
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:34 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Medicare Cover versus Private health Insurance

Isn't it part of the 457 visa conditions that you have health insurance ?

Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:56 am
Just Joined

brightonbee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I can't seem to find that information - all I can find is info on reciprochal health arrangements - know of a good insurer wherby you get immeditae cover
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brightonbee
I can't seem to find that information - all I can find is info on reciprochal health arrangements - know of a good insurer wherby you get immeditae cover
ABD is correct, on a 457 the sponsor HAS to provide private health cover for you and your family for the period of the Visa. I have it and I also have Medicare just as a regular health cover back up.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
ABD is correct, on a 457 the sponsor HAS to provide private health cover for you and your family for the period of the Visa. I have it and I also have Medicare just as a regular health cover back up.
For clarification, the Sponsor is responsible for all Medical costs, therefore it is economic for them to provide Health Cover.

See this reference:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...quirements.pdf
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paddyo
ABCD is correct.

Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:02 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

It doesn't actually say that!! All it says is that the employER has to cover all medical expenses, not that the employEE has to pay or even have private medical care.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

However I have found that Employers do not always provide cover. Worst offenders being state/gov jobs!

Ive been here 2 years and just doing our ENS (Permanent visa) and nobody from immigration checks if you have actually got the private cover.
I know several families who didnt bother as had medicare agreement. They told boss they had it but the companies never actually checked.

Yes, I know someone on here will come on in a minute and say you must have it. The reality is no you dont if you have medicare agreement.

You can get away with no private medical insurance if you are from the UK.
I have used the medicare agreement more than most as private cover would not have covered a couple of my kids for at least 12months.
Therefore I had no choice to use medicare agreement card.

This is what I found, hospitals in the city and rural told me they treat it the same as the Aussie version of the card.
We have got free A&E,overnight sleep study, 2 week hospital stay with operation and rare tests (all free), city consultant appointments, kids gp visits etc.

Basically I would now only have private cover for Ambulance and dental.
Then care is here is very good on the state. Only thing is private you can jump the waiting lists.

My advice if money is tight, is save your money and just get ambulance cover for about $80 a year (a ride in an ambulance can cost a few hundred).

Gems
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kar-kier
It doesn't actually say that!! All it says is that the employER has to cover all medical expenses, not that the employEE has to pay or even have private medical care.
That's why I was asking the question, as I knew something applied for the 457 in that respect.

Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:26 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

That's why I was asking the question, as I knew something applied for the 457 in that respect.
Sorry
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

When we was on 457 visa we did not have any private cover and the employer did not provide us any.

Last edited by LINZI; Jul 21st 2009 at 6:31 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:43 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by LINDZI
When we was on 457 visa we did not have any private cover and the employer did not provide us any.
Lucky old me then!!!!

Its a toss up for the employer, risk reciprocal care will cover all or be safe and provide provide health care. They are responsible for all costs not covered by any reciprocal agreement.
I also just realised that mine is an executive package which has it but one of my colleagues, no less able than I, on a non-executive package hasn't!!