Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare age loading - confused!

Medicare age loading - confused!

Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Medicare age loading - confused!

Is anyone able to explain please in simple terms what the Medicare age loading is all about? I understand that when you arrive in Australia you have 12 months to take out private health insurance and that if you don't there is an 'age loading' so that if you are over 60 this can be considerable.

What I don't understand is where this loading applies. Is it applied to the 1.5% Medicare levy so that you end up paying more tax. Or is it applied to the premium for private health insurance if you then decide to take it out at a later date?

I also understand that if you take out private health insurance you can get a tax rebate, but what I really need to know is, if you don't take it out are you penalised heavily? I am thinking that as retirees on a pension we won't be liable to pay much tax anyway, so the 'increase' might be negligible and not worth the cost of private health care.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare age loading - confused!

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Or is it applied to the premium for private health insurance if you then decide to take it out at a later date?
http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/heal...ealthcover.htm

I also understand that if you take out private health insurance you can get a tax rebate, but what I really need to know is, if you don't take it out are you penalised heavily? I am thinking that as retirees on a pension we won't be liable to pay much tax anyway, so the 'increase' might be negligible and not worth the cost of private health care.
The medicare levy surcharge is an additional 1% (on top of the 1.5% medicare levy); you are highly unlikely to be liable to pay it anyway as you must have an income in excess of $140k for a couple.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone able to explain please in simple terms what the Medicare age loading is all about? I understand that when you arrive in Australia you have 12 months to take out private health insurance and that if you don't there is an 'age loading' so that if you are over 60 this can be considerable.

What I don't understand is where this loading applies. Is it applied to the 1.5% Medicare levy so that you end up paying more tax. Or is it applied to the premium for private health insurance if you then decide to take it out at a later date?

The age loading is nothing to do with Medicare. It applies to private health insurance and is added to the private fund premium. It's designed to encourage people to take out health insurance when they're younger - rather than them waiting till they're old and sick.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:49 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
The age loading is nothing to do with Medicare. It applies to private health insurance and is added to the private fund premium. It's designed to encourage people to take out health insurance when they're younger - rather than them waiting till they're old and sick.
I got a letter from Medibank Private the other day saying that now I had reached 65 my premium had decreased, so I'm not sure what age loading' you are talking about.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I got a letter from Medibank Private the other day saying that now I had reached 65 my premium had decreased, so I'm not sure what age loading' you are talking about.
As per BCWorlds's link it may well be that you are exempt from the loading if you took out PHI within one year of emmigrating here.

We had to get a letter from medicare to take to the insurer then they removed it.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm talking about the age loading that applies to private health insurance premiums if you take them out after the age of 30 (or after a year of first arriving in Australia if you are new here). The link that bcworld gave explains it all:
http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/heal...ealthcover.htm

...but if you don't want to click it, I can tell you that it says

"If you do not have hospital cover on the 1st of July following your 31st birthday and then decide to take out hospital cover later in life, you will pay a 2% loading on top of your premium for every year you are aged over 30."

It is nothing to do with Medicare and it is nothing to do with reduction of premiums once you reach 65. It is to discourage people from taking out private insurance (for the first time) when they get old and sick.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Many thanks for all your replies, that's a bit clearer now.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

You have one year to take out private health insurance (if you want to) after qualifying for full Medicare, otherwise you pay an additional percentage for each year you are over 30 years old when and if you do eventually apply.

Note that being on a 457 or other temp visa doesnt count, it is one year from getting PR and therefore full medicare.

The main reason for it is that when you take out private health insurance, they are not allowed by law to base the premium on your current or previous health history...i.e. when you take out private helath insurance, there are no medical questions to answer.

The age loading is to help the insurance company cover teh cost of people taking out insurance later in life when they are more likely to claim.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC

It is nothing to do with Medicare and it is nothing to do with reduction of premiums once you reach 65. It is to discourage people from taking out private insurance (for the first time) when they get old and sick.
It does have something to do with Medicare though as although the actual loading is not applied to your medicare levy, the letter we got to give to Medibank for the purposes of Lifetime health cover loading exemption came directly from medicare and quoted our medicare number on it. Still got the letter.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:07 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

LHC loading
If someone first takes out hospital cover after their LHC base day, a loading of 2% on top of their hospital cover premium will apply for each year their LHC age is above 30.
This is called a LHC loading. For example, someone taking out hospital cover at the age of 30 is entitled to pay the base rate premium, provided they maintain their cover. Someone who first takes out cover at age 40 will pay an additional 20% on top of the base rate premium, and someone who waits until age 50 to join will pay an additional 40% on top of the base rate premium.

Maximum loading
The maximum LHC loading allowed is 70%.
i.e. @2.5% p.a. from age 30 to age 65

Loading removal after 10 years (of continuous private health cover)
Any LHC loading that a person is required to pay will be removed from their private health insurance premium after 10 years of continuous hospital cover.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:10 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
It does have something to do with Medicare though
Indirectly, yes.

Lifetime Health Cover is a Government initiative that started on 1 July 2000. It was designed to encourage people to take out hospital insurance earlier in life, and to maintain their cover.

Prior to this being in place, people were putting off getting private cover until as late as possible in life, putting more strain on the public system, which was the main driver for the private healthcare LHC loading being introduced.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

It does have something to do with Medicare though as although the actual loading is not applied to your medicare levy, the letter we got to give to Medibank for the purposes of Lifetime health cover loading exemption came directly from medicare and quoted our medicare number on it. Still got the letter.
Just because they needed proof from medicare that you were a temp resident when you entered the country so were not immediately covered by full Medicare?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
Just because they needed proof from medicare that you were a temp resident when you entered the country so were not immediately covered by full Medicare?
Yup, but they (medibank) wanted confirmation from medicare of the date that we had full medicare cover (as PR) before removing the loading off our PHI premium. Hence a link (albeit indirect as downunderpaddy said).
Old Jul 15th 2011, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, but they (medibank) wanted confirmation from medicare of the date that we had full medicare cover (as PR) before removing the loading off our PHI premium. Hence a link (albeit indirect as downunderpaddy said).
Yes, also a similar link to dept of veteran affairs, immigration, defense force and a few others:

http://www.medibank.com.au/Client/Do...ption_Form.pdf
Old Jul 15th 2011, 1:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Note that being on a 457 or other temp visa doesnt count, it is one year from getting PR and therefore full medicare.
If you are on a 457 and apply for PR you become eligible for full Medicare at that point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.