Medicare

Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicare

Can anyone help me with how Medicare works? Coming from the UK where all medical assistance is on Nanny at the point of delivery, I'm unfamiliar with how this system works. For example, do you pay every month, and what happens when you are out of work? Also, when you retire, do you still have to find money for Medicare, and if so can you get insurance for this?

The NHS is pretty much funded by general taxation, although it's dressed up as NI and so on, but when it comes to seeing a doctor or hospital just about everything is covered. How does the Australian system differ from this?

Thanks very much and best regards,

T.

Last edited by Tableland; Sep 27th 2005 at 4:56 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: Medicare

Originally Posted by tableland
Can anyone help me with how Medicare works? Coming from the UK where all medical assistance is on Nanny at the point of delivery, I'm unfamiliar with how this system works. For example, do you pay every month, and what happens when you are out of work? Also, when you retire, do you still have to find money for Medicare, and if so can you get insurance for this?

The NHS is pretty much funded by general taxation, although it's dressed up as NI and so on, but when it comes to seeing a doctor or hospital just about everything is covered. How does the Australian system differ from this?

Thanks very much and best regards,

T.
Hello

Medicare is the Aussie equivalent of NHS.

It is funded by the government and your taxes. On top of your income tax you pay 1% or 1.5% (dependant on your income level and whether you have private insurance).

It covers most things, however going to a doctor (GP) is quite different to the UK. You may have to pay and 'claim back'

Best idea if you want total (and correct) detail is to have a look at the web site http://www.medicare.gov.au/.

Hope this helps

Regards
Old Sep 27th 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hello

It is funded by the government and your taxes. On top of your income tax you pay 1% or 1.5% (dependant on your income level and whether you have private insurance).

It covers most things, however going to a doctor (GP) is quite different to the UK. You may have to pay and 'claim back'

Best idea if you want total (and correct) detail is to have a look at the web site http://www.medicare.gov.au/.

Hope this helps

Regards
Thanks for your reply. I'll check your link. As I understand your post the systems are more similar than I thought, but you pay up front for the GP and then make a claim.

OK.

Cheers, T.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by tableland
Thanks for your reply. I'll check your link. As I understand your post the systems are more similar than I thought, but you pay up front for the GP and then make a claim.

OK.

Cheers, T.
Hi

I forgot to mention if you don't want to pay up front look for a doctor that says bulk billing. This means when you receive your treatment you will just sign a form - end of event. The problem is the number of doctors doing this is on the decrease.

You also have far more choice of GP. If you don't like the one close to you, go somewhere else, find one you do. I have been going to the same doctor in Aus for 20 years, even though I have moved 4-5 times. I even go and see him when I visit from the UK!

If you turn up at a public hospital with an emergency, same as here you will be treated. HOWEVER, as with the NHS if you have something considered non emergency, ie, you need a knee operation you will have the necessary immediate treatment and be put onto a waiting list for the operation. Again, as with the NHS this can be short or long, bit of a piece of string. If you choose to go private you can pay up front and claim back at the relevant rate. You will of course be out of pocket at the end, but this is no different to paying privately in the UK.

Good luck, the system is not as complicated as it first seems, you just have to find out what you need and ask the right questions.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Good luck, the system is not as complicated as it first seems, you just have to find out what you need and ask the right questions.<<

Perhaps you could explain it then, please! I have had quite a bit of exposure to Medicare in the year I've been here and it is a monstrously complicated system. There are gaps, caps etc; limits on how much you are liable for as a family for both doctors and pharmaceuticals - and these depend on your income and what cards you have. I have had three long explanations from three pharmacists - and they were all totally different!

Use extra paper if required................. <g>
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:11 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure it covers you for sickpay, and that kinda stuff.. always worked for myself so kinda outta touch.

Im pretty sure you can only claim sickpay etc etc dole and th like if you are a citizen..

Mind u its been a long day n im shagged pmsl
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

I have been working in Australia as a Permanent Resident for just over 3 months but have not seen a 1% deduction or any deduction for that matter in respect of Medicare on any of my weekly pay slips.
Should it appear in my pay slip?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by migrantoz
I have been working in Australia as a Permanent Resident for just over 3 months but have not seen a 1% deduction or any deduction for that matter in respect of Medicare on any of my weekly pay slips.

Hello

Depends on how your employer takes out your tax, however in Aus everyone, regardless of income level must complete an annual income tax return - not just top rate payers as in the UK.

Your gross income less deductions (and make sure you claim everything there are a surprising number of things that you can claim as deductions! - my advice is at least first year get a tax agent see what you can claim) is then calculated. If it is over the threshold to pay Medicare (about $14K but not sure) then 1% is calculated and this is added onto the income tax payable. If you are over (I think) $50K then it is 1.5% if you have no private insurance.

However don't panic, the chances of you being confronted with a tax bill at year end are low (even on normal payg). After deductions and having not having the Medicare levy taken out of my salary I have only ever had to pay extra on one occasion - and that was for a total bill of about $50.

Does this help?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by migrantoz
I doubt if it's itemised seperately.

The tax tables supplied by the ATO to employers incorporate the Medicare Levy in the deduction amount. For example, the top rate of tax is 47% but people on the top rate would be deducted 48.5% (so the basic 1.5% Medicare Levy is included automatically).
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hello

Hope this helps

Regards

It's worth noting that most temporary residents (except spouses and New Zealand citizens) are not automatically eligible for Medicare.

This includes 457 visa and SIR visa holders.

Jeremy