Medicare

Old Feb 19th 2004, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of
Default Medicare

I know that the UK and Australia have a reciprocal health care agreement and that I can get a medicare card to take advantage of this. But I don't really understand what medicare is, more specifically how it works and what it covers.

Can anybody help, preferrably in words of one (two max!) syllables? I'd be hugely grateful!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 8:45 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medicare

Originally posted by AHamm
I know that the UK and Australia have a reciprocal health care agreement and that I can get a medicare card to take advantage of this. But I don't really understand what medicare is, more specifically how it works and what it covers.

Can anybody help, preferrably in words of one (two max!) syllables? I'd be hugely grateful!
Fed Gov Med Ins paid from tax.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 8:52 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Medicare

Originally posted by AHamm

Medicare is a basic government health system, similar to the NHS.

You go to a doctor, and if they "Bulk Bill" then they charge Medicare for the costs, and you dont get involved financially.

If the Doctor does NOT "Bulk Bill", then he charges you for the consulation, and you claim a % of it back from Medicare, about 70% maybe a bit more. Some of these doctors just get you to pay the difference and then they get the balance from Medicare directly.

Hope I explained it clearly

Megalania, I laughed at your explanation

Old Feb 19th 2004, 9:03 am
ems
Forum Regular

ems is an unknown quantity at this point

just want to add that medicare only pays a percentage of the scheduled fee (set amount for consultations/procedures) In many cases doctors charge more than this and you pay the extra