Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals - To wait or not to wait?

Medicals - To wait or not to wait?

Old Apr 24th 2006, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Canberra for 2 days......bored....now Narrabeen on Sydneys northern Beaches
mcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura about
Question Medicals - To wait or not to wait?

My 136 skilled visa application went in at the end of Feb. Immediately my agency advised me to get police checks and medicals done so that they are ready when asked for. As these will cost over £500 for me and my family I am reluctant to get them done until they are officialy asked for! Is it possible to get visa refusal before they even ask for medicals???
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals - To wait or not to wait?

Originally Posted by mcstu1
My 136 skilled visa application went in at the end of Feb. Immediately my agency advised me to get police checks and medicals done so that they are ready when asked for. As these will cost over £500 for me and my family I am reluctant to get them done until they are officialy asked for! Is it possible to get visa refusal before they even ask for medicals???
Get them done ASAP, if there was any risk of a visa refusal (which is very rare) your agent would have told you.
You'll kick yourself when the request for meds and police checks come back and you have to wait a month or so for appointments etc.

Shop around for meds, we found quite a difference between Cambridge and Norwich
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mcstu1]
Our agent has told us to wait until requested, we are on 136 MoDL visa, see timeline, its been 4 months now and still no requst for meds n pcc's.

However MODL visa's are taking around 6 months,so we went ahead against agents advice and have them booked for 5.5.06 - but this will be 4.5 months by the time they arrive at LCU.

The main reason for not doing meds so soon is that you have 12 months to validate your visa, so could be a problem if it took longer to get visa and say
you only had 3 months to validate, even worse sometimes you get 6 months.

However, many, many BEP members front load, as we will be doing a little later down the line.

Depends how confident you are with your application and what would be the consequences of you having to go over on holiday to validate, ie finances, housing situation etc.

Anyway - thats my humble advice and opinion, best of luck with whatever is best for you.
angelaxx
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

paulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura about

Be careful not to have medicals or police checks done too soon, as medicals are only valid for 6 months and also you have 12months from the date of the medical to set foot in Australia. We waited until we were asked by the DIMIA to do them, Police checks took 4-6 weeks and had a 4 week wait for meds which they then sent within a week to Adelaide Skills Processing.
Our visa application was recieved by the DIMIA on Oct 31st and we were advised to do meds/police checks early Jan. If i were you just wait until told, I'm surprised your agent told you to do it as ours (Migration Bureau) told us to wait until they informed us (as it was the DIMIA told us by Email).
All the best though.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Good points, I stand corrected
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:44 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good points already on here, we are 136 and were told NOT to front load by our agents, we waited until 4 months deadline was hit and booked our medicals for a month later, hoping the request would come through and it did about a week after we booked them!! Once we got the request we sent off for PC's they only took about 10 days to come back!!

My advice is hold out as long as you can, feels like a long wait but in one way it flys by in anther it drags if that makes any sense at all!!

But like others have said before me, they are only valid for a limited time and as you rightly say they are an awful lot of bloody money, last thing you need is to pay out twice!!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulaljones
Be careful not to have medicals or police checks done too soon, as medicals are only valid for 6 months and also you have 12months from the date of the medical to set foot in Australia.
Medicals are valid for 12 months unless there is a problem with them in which case you may only be given 6 months in which to validate your visa from the date of medicals or police checks (whichever came first).
Old May 1st 2006, 6:03 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

Assuming you are MODL I would book them to be done at the 3 month mark so they are completed at the point when you are assigned a case officer (approx 4 months). Or if you don't mind the extra delay just wait until you are asked by your CO.