Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals - shop around!

Medicals - shop around!

Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:24 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicals - shop around!

I posted a few days back about the cost of medicals...and it's certainly worth shopping around.

I was going to be charged £185 in Cambridge (medical, xray, HIV test) but have found out that Hitchin, 40 minutes up the road charge £130 for the same thing.

So I shall be taking my £55 and spending it on something much more pleasurable than an exorbitant medical!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:28 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Medicals - shop around!

Originally posted by bundy
I posted a few days back about the cost of medicals...and it's certainly worth shopping around.

I was going to be charged £185 in Cambridge (medical, xray, HIV test) but have found out that Hitchin, 40 minutes up the road charge £130 for the same thing.

So I shall be taking my £55 and spending it on something much more pleasurable than an exorbitant medical!
Hi Bundy,

Completely agree, I arranged our meds last week for February and the cost broke down as:

Adult medical: £90 each
Child medical: £60
Adult X-ray: £55 each
Bloods (for adults only): £30 each

The toal cost of ours being £430. However, as I have said on a previous thread just half a mile away the X-rays were another £22 each !!

Shop around.....

Warren
Perth 2004......

Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:32 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Hi Bundy,

Completely agree, I arranged our meds last week for February and the cost broke down as:

Adult medical: £90 each
Child medical: £60
Adult X-ray: £55 each
Bloods (for adults only): £30 each

The toal cost of ours being £430. However, as I have said on a previous thread just half a mile away the X-rays were another £22 each !!

Shop around.....

Warren
Perth 2004......
Ridiculous, isn't it? Total scam in my view. Plus half the stuff I have to take with me to the medical will cover stuff that's in the medical anyway - I basically had a full MOT just over a year ago as a result of having a dicky thyroid. Grrrr.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:35 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ridiculous, isn't it? Total scam in my view. Plus half the stuff I have to take with me to the medical will cover stuff that's in the medical anyway - I basically had a full MOT just over a year ago as a result of having a dicky thyroid. Grrrr.

Bundy,
Did you decide what to do about the thyroid reports?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:37 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Is it worth front loading medicals and police checks or is that just being cocky?

BTW Bundy - have you got the number for the Hitchin doc please?
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:39 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Houdini
Is it worth front loading medicals and police checks or is that just being cocky?

BTW Bundy - have you got the number for the Hitchin doc please?

Yep - it's the Pinehill Hospital. Phone 01462 427221. You might have to leave a message, but they get right back to you. Very helpful and friendly people (so far).
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:41 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Yep - it's the Pinehill Hospital. Phone 01462 427221. You might have to leave a message, but they get right back to you. Very helpful and friendly people (so far).
Many thanks!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:44 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by mcmercer
Bundy,
Did you decide what to do about the thyroid reports?
Ah yes, the thyroid saga. Spent most of last week trying to get some info, and think I've got it cracked.

I wandered into my GPs surgery on Friday afternoon to ask about it and found myself having an asthma check up and flu jab (who says the NHS aren't efficient!). Which clears up the asthma problem - the GP will simply write me a letter saying that it's all fine.

Thyroid is obviously more complicated: my surgery is going to photocopy every consultant's report on my file and every blood test (poor people - there are masses!). I will just be charged for the cost of copying, rather than £36 for a GPs report AND the cost of copying. When I go for my next hosp appointment on 12 Feb I can ask for a copy of the report from that appt to be sent to me as well as the GP, so I'll have the most up-to-date info for the medical.

When I spoke to the people at Hitchin they said that a letter from my GP re my thyroid probably would have been enough, but that copies of reports are even better. I'll be catagory B, but it shouldn't (touch wood, fingers crossed) affect my application because both conditions are very common and cheap to treat.

So there we go. Not there yet. Praying for a 'normal' blood test result in a couple of weeks....
:scared:

It's all fun and games, isn't it???!!!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

We had our meds done in Hitchin, they were very good. Very efficient, didn't even have to wait 5 minutes! The x-rays are in the same building, it is all very well laid out. The doctor is okay, bit strange but okay. He charges you for the courier postage to Oz on top of the bill. Ours came to £500 all inclusive for 2 adults and 2 children over age 11. Boys didn't have to do the cough & drop.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:48 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Rudy
We had our meds done in Hitchin, they were very good. Very efficient, didn't even have to wait 5 minutes! The x-rays are in the same building, it is all very well laid out. The doctor is okay, bit strange but okay. He charges you for the courier postage to Oz on top of the bill. Ours came to £500 all inclusive for 2 adults and 2 children over age 11. Boys didn't have to do the cough & drop.
I'll be front-end loading, so there shouldn't be any courier charge in that respect...glad to hear all was well at Hitchin. They certainly seem a lot more efficient than Cambridge. Just got to find the place now. Never been to Hitchin. Baldock marks the outer edge of my Herts experience!!!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:52 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah yes, the thyroid saga. Spent most of last week trying to get some info, and think I've got it cracked.

I wandered into my GPs surgery on Friday afternoon to ask about it and found myself having an asthma check up and flu jab (who says the NHS aren't efficient!). Which clears up the asthma problem - the GP will simply write me a letter saying that it's all fine.

Thyroid is obviously more complicated: my surgery is going to photocopy every consultant's report on my file and every blood test (poor people - there are masses!). I will just be charged for the cost of copying, rather than £36 for a GPs report AND the cost of copying. When I go for my next hosp appointment on 12 Feb I can ask for a copy of the report from that appt to be sent to me as well as the GP, so I'll have the most up-to-date info for the medical.

When I spoke to the people at Hitchin they said that a letter from my GP re my thyroid probably would have been enough, but that copies of reports are even better. I'll be catagory B, but it shouldn't (touch wood, fingers crossed) affect my application because both conditions are very common and cheap to treat.

So there we go. Not there yet. Praying for a 'normal' blood test result in a couple of weeks....
:scared:

It's all fun and games, isn't it???!!!

Sounds like you'll be giving them more than enough info. Good luck with it all, try not to stress too much or you'll end up with high blood pressure too!

Michaela
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:55 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by mcmercer
Sounds like you'll be giving them more than enough info. Good luck with it all, try not to stress too much or you'll end up with high blood pressure too!

Michaela
Luckily high BP is the least of my troubles - a dicky thyroid means very low BP, so I can afford a bit of a rise. But no, the stressing doesn't help things much.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rudy

Thats not a bad cost. we also have 2 kids over age of 11. Anyone suggest a decent doc in the south, have been adviesed of southampton and chichester. As we are dead bang in the middle of both a bit indecisive as to whom to go with, any ideas..........
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:15 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by S Oldfield
Thats not a bad cost. we also have 2 kids over age of 11. Anyone suggest a decent doc in the south, have been adviesed of southampton and chichester. As we are dead bang in the middle of both a bit indecisive as to whom to go with, any ideas..........
Thought I heard a positive rumour about Bournemouth...
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:46 am
Oz Wannabe

jtimkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I heard a positive rumour about Bournemouth...
i used the one in chichester, he was very good and about the average price...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.