Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals for Oz - GP Notes??

Medicals for Oz - GP Notes??

Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road
Default Medicals for Oz - GP Notes??

Hi, when we go for our medicals for emigration to Oz, does the Doctor see our medicals notes from our normal GP or any hospital notes before doing the medicals? Or after we have our medicals will he request any of our notes?

Just wondering.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:52 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals for Oz - GP Notes??

Nope
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Would he ask to see them following our medical? I have diabetes? It is well controlled, but my husband is worried about going to the gp because he has a pain in his stomach, after falling at work and would like to get that sorted, of course was worried that the more he has wrong with him or the more notes in his medical report with his gp, the less chance we may have of getting into Oz.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kurrikurri
Hi, when we go for our medicals for emigration to Oz, does the Doctor see our medicals notes from our normal GP or any hospital notes before doing the medicals? Or after we have our medicals will he request any of our notes?

Just wondering.
Myself and my two children went for our medicals on Fri. They were very straight forward but on the paperwork i put down about my sons two minor operations and that my daughter went to A an E two years ago with slurred speech and vision problems which turned out to be a migraine. The doctor doing the medicals has written to the childrens GP to ask for a letter explaining the outcomes. He said that he would put the GP letters with our application so that it would show that these issues had been resolved. I did not have any problems highlighted on my paperwork so the doctor has not requested any further documentation from my GP. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Thank you. Therefore they will probably write to the Hospital/GP confirming my wellbeing for clarification, although I have a letter confirming all my results were excellent the last time I went for my annual check up. What kind of things did they ask you, or what did you have to do at the medical? Urine specimens, blood tests etc etc??
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering.
:curse:

Would he ask to see them following our medical? I have diabetes? It is well controlled, but my husband is worried about going to the gp because he has a pain in his stomach, after falling at work and would like to get that sorted, of course was worried that the more he has wrong with him or the more notes in his medical report with his gp, the less chance we may have of getting into Oz.
:curse::curse:

No GP or hospital or other notes will be required.
If further details are needed, the panel Dr or case officer (or whoever) will write to the relevant healthcare provider.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Thank you. Therefore they will probably write to the Hospital/GP confirming my wellbeing for clarification, although I have a letter confirming all my results were excellent the last time I went for my annual check up. What kind of things did they ask you, or what did you have to do at the medical? Urine specimens, blood tests etc etc??
Hi, i would take that letter with you. I think the Dr who saw us wanted to get a letter from the GPs just incase the case officer questioned it. The Dr who does your medicals might not ask for one. The medical were urine sample, weight, height, blood pressure, blood tests, listened to chest, checked eyes and x ray. Then he asked questions about our general health and my family history. My fourteen year old daughter did not need blood tests but myself and my sixteen year old did. I was told the blood test results should take about five days to be processed.

I could not stop laughing as my daughter was disgusted at the thought of doing a urine sample and said it was the worst thing she had ever had to do. I told her she better not have children then!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for all your info. Where are you hoping to move too?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Simpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really nice

KurriKurri, I would be interested to hear how your medicals go. I think every panel Doctor has slight variations in how much depth they go into when examining you, but a word of advice about the diabetes:
Our Panel Doctor wanted the most recent results for: Diabetic eye test, Diabetic foot test, Diabetic blood results (HbA1c, Random Glucose, Serum-something-or-other (creatanine maybe), and urine Microalbumin. It would be wise to make sure your eye and foot test were done within the last 12 months to show you keep up to date with things, and preferably fairly recent blood tests. The doctor also did a random blood sugar finger prick test in the examination.
You could also ask your GP to write a few words on headed paper just to state that your diabetes is well controlled. They will also want to know any medication you are on.

Other peoples experiences may differ from the above, but I think the general idea is that with pre existing conditions they want additional information.

Good luck with the medicals, try not to worry too much
x
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for that. I am so pleased someone else has diabetes !!! and can answer some questions too.

I actually asked the hospital for a letter confirming my results in Nov 07 when I was there because I had a really good HbA1C reading and I wanted it in black and white! although generally they are good. However, they also put all the other results down too, so that is good. Fingers crossed. Where are you hoping to go to?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Simpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really nice

Hoping to settle in WA, although want to have a good road trip to get there, so might land in Sydney and travel across, *fingers crossed*
How about you?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
:curse:

:curse::curse:

No GP or hospital or other notes will be required.
If further details are needed, the panel Dr or case officer (or whoever) will write to the relevant healthcare provider.
CALM DOWN young lady
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hoping to go North of Sydney. We have been out twice in the last 2 years and we love it. Husband has a job to go to, but we are applying now for the Permanent Visa. With a temp, as far as I understand you dont get any help with medication, hospital treatment etc. So going full hog and hopefully we will get through. Case a bit complicated,but we have crossed all points put in our way up to now.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

He is highlighted pink in a couple of the sentences - but I know the Dr. who will do the medical in our area is a man! Sorry, if it was going to be a man or woman I wouldnt have singled out any sex!