Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals for NZ and OZ

Medicals for NZ and OZ

Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals for NZ and OZ

Does anyone know if smoking is enough to fail a medical?
I am asking for my parents in-law who want to emigrate to NZ in a couple of years and their friends who want to emigrate to Australia also in a couple of years, both will be trying to get residence under the family category for parents. All four of them smoke at least a packet each a day and have done for 40 years, can't see them giving up the cancer sticks anytime soon but maybe if I tell them they won't be able to emigrate it may be a goal for giving up?
Cheers
Sarah
Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:42 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals for NZ and OZ

Originally posted by Sarah2004
Does anyone know if smoking is enough to fail a medical?
I am asking for my parents in-law who want to emigrate to NZ in a couple of years and their friends who want to emigrate to Australia also in a couple of years, both will be trying to get residence under the family category for parents. All four of them smoke at least a packet each a day and have done for 40 years, can't see them giving up the cancer sticks anytime soon but maybe if I tell them they won't be able to emigrate it may be a goal for giving up?
Cheers
Sarah

Hi Sarah,
We just did our medicals and they were quite straightforward actually.

I don't think they can fail on the grounds that they smoke alone, but they do have to have a chest x-ray and the Dr listens to your chest. I guess if they have no lung problems at the moment then they should be ok, but it's an expensive way to find out!!