Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals For Kids

Medicals For Kids

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Eltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud of
Default Medicals For Kids

Can anyone tell me what happens to kids at medicals, I have two children under 10years old, and would like to explain what will happen before we arrive, so as not to worry them, also i presume parents are allowed to remain with them during process.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals For Kids

Originally Posted by Eltoro
Can anyone tell me what happens to kids at medicals, I have two children under 10years old, and would like to explain what will happen before we arrive, so as not to worry them, also i presume parents are allowed to remain with them during process.
yes you stay with them, ours were done 1 at a time, youngest went in with dad and eldest had his done with me present.

as far as i can remember they have urine sample; weight, eye test, reflexes and i think doctor listened to their chest. sorry so vague but it seems ages ago. it's all very painless and our boys were okay, eldest slightly worried at first but got over that.

good luck
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

helenandandrew is an unknown quantity at this point

had our medicals about 6 weeks ago and was all very painless. have 4 kids (eldest 10 who was bit embarrassed!!) but more shocking the cost!!! doctor took kids in one at a time with me present and just general check. eyes ears height weight listened to chest. had to strip down to underwear. felt tummy looked at back and that was that. had to take urine sample with us.went through form we had filled in. as said more daunting the thought of it but nothing bad just cost!! cost us £700!! think the adults were £120 each. then had blood test but under 15 dont have to. hope they go smoothly and good luck. we passed ours and have our visas now and off to coolum beach, brisbane jan 07. helen
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Eltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud of

Thanks Helen and Debra ,
Doesn't sound too bad for them. Can i ask what info was asked on the forms?, the reason i ask is that my youngest who is now 6yo had a blood transfusion when she was four hours old and remained in special care for a week, i read that anyone who has had blood will need hiv test, would they take blood from a child, or is it unlikely that they will ask this question.
she is perfectly healthy now and has been since that first awful week of her life .
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

helenandandrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Helen and Debra ,
Doesn't sound too bad for them. Can i ask what info was asked on the forms?, the reason i ask is that my youngest who is now 6yo had a blood transfusion when she was four hours old and remained in special care for a week, i read that anyone who has had blood will need hiv test, would they take blood from a child, or is it unlikely that they will ask this question.
she is perfectly healthy now and has been since that first awful week of her life .
sorry to hear that and glad she well.i couldnt answer that.there was a section on form you had to put all past operations, time spent in hospital,medications in last 5 years i think etc.i was quite honest and put down about post natal depression which was the only thing he picked up on (never asked about kids minor ops) and had to get letter from gp saying i was fine now. other than that cant help.hopefully she wont need blood taken.suppose it depends on doctor and how much you disclose!h
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Helen and Debra ,
Dont worry, this won't be a problem. The meds are really alot less of an ordeal than we all make in our heads. I remember getting so stressed out before ours. For the kids its basically a quick check up. They then do the urine test and X ray, that was it
Good luck x
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:07 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me what happens to kids at medicals, I have
two children under 10years old, and would like to explain what will happen before we arrive, so as not to worry them, also i presume parents are allowed to remain with them during process.

I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old, the 6 year old thought it was like some great adventure, but doctor, did as mentioned about, general check, on eyes listen to breathing, weight etc etc, the best bit she thought was that she had to wee into a paper cup!! Couldnt wait to get back to school to tell them all what she had done!!

2 year old he had to we in a cup to, which he thought was great and the doctor just listened to his chest, took his weight that was it!!

It is VERY stressful leading up to medicals but believe me if we can get through them with great ease anyone can!! Just make it very "light" for the kids and they will be fine!! If they see you panicing then they will panic!!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Originally Posted by toon williams
I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old, the 6 year old thought it was like some great adventure, but doctor, did as mentioned about, general check, on eyes listen to breathing, weight etc etc, the best bit she thought was that she had to wee into a paper cup!! Couldnt wait to get back to school to tell them all what she had done!!

2 year old he had to we in a cup to, which he thought was great and the doctor just listened to his chest, took his weight that was it!!

It is VERY stressful leading up to medicals but believe me if we can get through them with great ease anyone can!! Just make it very "light" for the kids and they will be fine!! If they see you panicing then they will panic!!

How the medicals seem to differ!
Our 6 year old had to provide a urine sample but not our 4year old. However our 4 year old had to do a milestone test ie draw various shapes, count to 10, recognise colours. We all, including the 4 yr old had sight test and my husband and son had hearing tests though me & my daughter didn't!