Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical Worries - smoking/drugs etc

Medical Worries - smoking/drugs etc

Old May 4th 2004, 3:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
Personally I'd lay off the drugs if I were you. Drugs don't stay in your body after a certain time ( a month I think.. but don't quote me on that time frame) .
I don't think they test for drugs either, but you never know if they might as part of an audit process or spot check.

The old wacky baccy stays in your system for a month.
Old May 4th 2004, 3:08 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Medical Worries - smoking/drugs etc

when I had my medicals a few years back ( can't remember if it was on the forms that you fill out ) but I certainly remember the doctor asking a load of questions when I had the medical.. i.e. do you smoke? how many? Do you drink alcohol? how much do you consume? do you, or ever have taken drugs?

So it's definitely there somewhere, and if it's not on the forms.. it will be certainly asked at the medical.
Old May 4th 2004, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I remember having to provide a oral swab to verify my non- smoking status on some life insurance, so I imagine what they need is in there.
Old May 4th 2004, 3:52 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by funkyspunkster
Yes it is on the form. The question is Have you ever been addicted to a drug or used drugs illegally.

Pot stays in your system for a long time but I have not used that for many years as I dont like it. Pills should come out of your system in a few days so that will be fine.

How can you tell if someone smokes with an oral checkup??? What are they looking for in your gums? Maybe if i stop smoking for a few days before the medical?

your gums will not be a nice healthy colour of a non smoker, smokers gums don't usually have the same pink colour, they tend to be a bit redder , or the other way round ( as told to me by a dentist) as a non smoker .. even a dentist can tell if you smoke.

The very back of your tongue and throat will have some nicotine on them, the backs of your teeth will have some nicotine on them.. but mostly they can tell from the colour of your gums and throat.

I don't see what you are worried about, just tell your family you have the odd cigarette at parties.
Old May 4th 2004, 4:01 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I am really too old to be having trivial secrets like this.

I'll just tell the doc I smoke when i go out. i am not sure, but i think that the forms and results go directly to some place (the consulate?) so i am hoping they wont even get to see the forms that i fill out.

Does anyone know about this...
Agree the bit about too old for hiding the smoking ! You are old enough to take drugs, legal and illegal

The form you fill prior to the medical should be sealed at the medical and sent off either by yourself or the doctor, it is not available after the medical to be changed. So best fill it in correctly and not let the family see it before if that is possible (will they ask to view it?) And then off it goes - no worries

Cheers Sandra
Old May 4th 2004, 4:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

well I live in Melbourne and rest of my family in the country so that should be an advantage. But cos we are applying all on the same application, im not sure if the forms will all have to be sent off together in one package, or what?!? if thats the case they will definately look over it.

I had my medicals in Aus too ( when I applied for PR, originally I was on a Business visa - ie no medicals when I first came to Aus , but when I applied for PR within the country.. I had my medical done here in Brisbane) .. so I can definitely say if you are doing your medicals in Aus - you will certainly be asked those above questions by the doctor.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:32 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i had my meds done in brisbane too, and i wasn't asked anything. they took my height, weight, blood, made me stand up with my arms out to the side, took my blood pressure, listened to my breathing, checked my eyesight and sent me on my way.

Originally posted by Ceri
I had my medicals in Aus too ( when I applied for PR, originally I was on a Business visa - ie no medicals when I first came to Aus , but when I applied for PR within the country.. I had my medical done here in Brisbane) .. so I can definitely say if you are doing your medicals in Aus - you will certainly be asked those above questions by the doctor.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:33 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

oh, and made me bend over (got worried at that point)

Originally posted by brisnick
i had my meds done in brisbane too, and i wasn't asked anything. they took my height, weight, blood, made me stand up with my arms out to the side, took my blood pressure, listened to my breathing, checked my eyesight and sent me on my way.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

If your stupid enough to take E then you should own up!
Old May 4th 2004, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry couldn't resist....

http://www.mrstest.com/detox/?ref=6&...te_banner_id=1

This may help.....

Old May 4th 2004, 6:44 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

well I live in Melbourne and rest of my family in the country so that should be an advantage. But cos we are applying all on the same application, im not sure if the forms will all have to be sent off together in one package, or what?!? if thats the case they will definately look over it.
In case I was not clear - you fill out your form and take it with you to your medical, then it is sealed so you cannot view it or anyone elase from that point on.

If you are doing your own medical and not all going together, then you could leave the filling out till the last minute (do it on the way in private?)

I do not remember the illegal drug question as renth says but know I answered it no! Well smoking a little in Amsterdam is not illegal per se!?

Of course all that is behind me now, cause I have enough bother with the legal drinking and smoking I do.
Old May 4th 2004, 10:29 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

try here for a useful resource on drug tests and how long various substances stay in your system. E is usually out of your system within 48 hours so if i were you i wouldnt put it down on your form as long as you arent planning on taking it within a couple of days of your medical. if you are a long term dope smoker then there may be a case for shaving your hair off before.
Old May 4th 2004, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

I think they are more worried about IV drug users and the risk of Hepatitis B or HIV/ AIDS but I could be wrong.

Lou
Old May 4th 2004, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

No point in hiding the truth at the med............if you are a smoker the doctor will be able to smell it a mile away.
no point in being dishonest.
Old May 4th 2004, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future
Default medicals

Can anyone tell me excatly what they do at the medicals. Is it diffrent for males/females and a child of 11

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.