Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical stuff for NZ

Medical stuff for NZ

Old Apr 30th 2003, 11:03 am
Just Joined

davieshm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical stuff for NZ

As part of the residence visa requirements you have to have a medical, can this be done at your own GP or are there specific requirements? Also how long does it take to get X-rays organised and such?

If anyone has any info about this and the type of documentation required for the visa I would be grateful to hear from them.

Another query, how much money do you need to have in the bank to be able to show you can support yourself in NZ for a year and does this change if you have a job (Which I will have to to apply for a visa)? Unlike many people intending on emigrating to NZ my husband and I are not long out of Uni and don`t own our own house. From what I read this might make it harder for us to find houses and stuff out there. But the prices seem reasonable in most areas and on an average wage we could get a mortgage, which leads me to the next question how easy is it for a newlt arrived immigrant in NZ to buy a house?

Would like to hear from anyone who can shed some light on my questions.
Thanks in advance.

Holly
Old Apr 30th 2003, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical stuff for NZ

Originally posted by davieshm
As part of the residence visa requirements you have to have a medical, can this be done at your own GP or are there specific requirements? Also how long does it take to get X-rays organised and such?

If anyone has any info about this and the type of documentation required for the visa I would be grateful to hear from them.

Another query, how much money do you need to have in the bank to be able to show you can support yourself in NZ for a year and does this change if you have a job (Which I will have to to apply for a visa)? Unlike many people intending on emigrating to NZ my husband and I are not long out of Uni and don`t own our own house. From what I read this might make it harder for us to find houses and stuff out there. But the prices seem reasonable in most areas and on an average wage we could get a mortgage, which leads me to the next question how easy is it for a newlt arrived immigrant in NZ to buy a house?

Thanks in advance.

Holly
Hi, your medicals need to be carried out by a doctor registered with the NZIS. Have a look at the site, think the list for UK can be found by looking at 'health & character' in the migrant section.
Not sure about your visa, we're going sponsored by family, but info should be somewhere on the NZIS site.
As for the mortgage I'm told it's fairly straight forward. Have a look at www.nationalbank.co.nz , they have lots of info for new residents. It seems that as long as you can afford the repayments there's no problem, eg you don't need to be in the country for any period etc.. Apparently the actual process of buying the house is a lot quicker & easier than here, but I guess it can't really get much worse!

Good luck, Gra...
Old Apr 30th 2003, 4:19 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical stuff for NZ

Originally posted by davieshm

Thanks in advance.

Holly
Holly - as far as I remember there's no need to demonstrate to NZIS that you have enough money to support yourselves, but if you're going for PR you can't claim any welfare for 2 years (1 year in certain circumstances for Brits) so you obviously need to have enough to survive.

Cheers - Don