Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical question

Medical question

Old Nov 4th 2006, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of
Default Medical question

Might be jumpin' the gun here a little as we don't have our visa yet, however....
Assuming we do, I have the choice of having a minor knee operation to remove a loose piece of cartlidge that is occasionally annoying. Doc says it doesn't have to be done - it's up to me. Just wondering if it would affect medicals - or are they looking for more important things like TB etc....?
Any info greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:57 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical question

Originally Posted by tofster
Might be jumpin' the gun here a little as we don't have our visa yet, however....
Assuming we do, I have the choice of having a minor knee operation to remove a loose piece of cartlidge that is occasionally annoying. Doc says it doesn't have to be done - it's up to me. Just wondering if it would affect medicals - or are they looking for more important things like TB etc....?
Cheers
Hmmm, tricky one. When did you apply??
Oz medical folks dont want us to cost them $'s which could be used on Australian residents/citizens. They are more likely to look for people who are unlikely to require "planned" treatment in coming years as opposed to anyone who may have to have an op done in Oz in the first few years of being there.
That's what my panel Dr told me anyway.

*pearly*
Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hmmm, tricky one. When did you apply??
Oz medical folks dont want us to cost them $'s which could be used on Australian residents/citizens. They are more likely to look for people who are unlikely to require "planned" treatment in coming years as opposed to anyone who may have to have an op done in Oz in the first few years of being there.
That's what my panel Dr told me anyway.

*pearly*
Thanks for the reply.
Lodged for visa two months ago. I would have the op here (expected availability Dec or Jan) long before we even activated. Just not sure whether to do it or even mention it.
Cheers
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:26 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply.
Lodged for visa two months ago. I would have the op here (expected availability Dec or Jan) long before we even activated. Just not sure whether to do it or even mention it.
Cheers
You'd have to mention it whether you had the op before you left or not. They don't take kindly to people requiring investigative procedures and not telling them about it on the form when you apply. Also, if you had it done before you left it's one less cost to the Australian health service.
The reason your having it done is to remove a bit of cartlidge which needs to be taken out. It's not a major op ( if it's an Arthroscopy your having ) and should alleviate any symptoms your having in preparation for a return to full working order for when you go to Oz. This will win you more brownie points than knowing before you go out there that you need an operation which the Oz government may have to pick up the tab for.
( I'm a theatre nurse by the way )
Hope this helps. Just get it done and be recovered from it all in time to fly off to Oz for a new life.
*pearly*
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:30 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply.
Cheers
Hubby had his his Knee op ( arthroscopy ) in June ...had meds in July.....doc didn't bother at all about it......so i would say go for it here
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
does the piece of cartilage affect the function of your knee?
judging from our medicals, the only way it may show up during the medical is when we were asked to squat down to the floor and back up again, otherwise it's up to you to tell the doc as they'll never know otherwise.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:31 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

You'd have to mention it whether you had the op before you left or not. They don't take kindly to people requiring investigative procedures and not telling them about it on the form when you apply. Also, if you had it done before you left it's one less cost to the Australian health service.
The reason your having it done is to remove a bit of cartlidge which needs to be taken out. It's not a major op ( if it's an Arthroscopy your having ) and should alleviate any symptoms your having in preparation for a return to full working order for when you go to Oz. This will win you more brownie points than knowing before you go out there that you need an operation which the Oz government may have to pick up the tab for.
( I'm a theatre nurse by the way )
Hope this helps. Just get it done and be recovered from it all in time to fly off to Oz for a new life.
*pearly*

Hello Pearly...hows the sunny IOM
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the info.
It doesn't really give me any grief (so why am i considering it, you may ask). Just every now and again the rogue piece finds it's way to the wrong part of my knee, gets trapped and gives me a momentary "240 volts"! No issues with sport, squatting etc.
My only concern is that the op may coincide with medicals - sods law I have "post op soreness" at the time of the medicals and can't squat/bend - hence my idea of delaying the op. Still not sure.......
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:49 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the info.
It doesn't really give me any grief (so why am i considering it, you may ask). Just every now and again the rogue piece finds it's way to the wrong part of my knee, gets trapped and gives me a momentary "240 volts"! No issues with sport, squatting etc.
My only concern is that the op may coincide with medicals - sods law I have "post op soreness" at the time of the medicals and can't squat/bend - hence my idea of delaying the op. Still not sure.......
ive had athroscopy on both knees in the past.....still have slight problems now. one needed slight alteration to loose bits...the panel doctor just needed to know i was mobile etc, and that my knees gave me no hassle any more.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
ive had athroscopy on both knees in the past.....still have slight problems now. one needed slight alteration to loose bits...the panel doctor just needed to know i was mobile etc, and that my knees gave me no hassle any more.

Lovely, thanks.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:44 am
shoot from the hip,baby

Originally Posted by Issie
Hello Pearly...hows the sunny IOM

Hi Issie!!,

IOM is..........not so sunny. We can't wait to leave!! I had to go over to Glasgow during the week and loved being back amongst the hussle and bussle - and SHOPS!!!! Realised we will never be lovers of the quiet life like here in the IOM and will be townies forever!!!! ;o) Have stuck it out over for here for just over 2 years now but it's been a slog from the start. Just a wrong move,that's all.
Desp to know if we're going to be accepted for the visa or not so we can get going with planning. We want to leave here at end of Jan,go home to Glasgow for a week and have the dog flown out from Edinburgh - but we can't get organsing that until we know if we've been accepted or not.
Tricky stuff. How's you??? Best PM me instead of hijacking this thread about dodgy knees of the original poster. ;o) ;o) ;o)

*pearly* x
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Have your arthroscopy. The ozzies wont care. It's not like u r contagious. Hopping into the docs office for your medicals also wont be an issue.

As others have said, just ensure that all of your paperwork correlates. GL!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Hi Issie!!,

IOM is..........not so sunny. We can't wait to leave!! I had to go over to Glasgow during the week and loved being back amongst the hussle and bussle - and SHOPS!!!! Realised we will never be lovers of the quiet life like here in the IOM and will be townies forever!!!! ;o) Have stuck it out over for here for just over 2 years now but it's been a slog from the start. Just a wrong move,that's all.
Desp to know if we're going to be accepted for the visa or not so we can get going with planning. We want to leave here at end of Jan,go home to Glasgow for a week and have the dog flown out from Edinburgh - but we can't get organsing that until we know if we've been accepted or not.
Tricky stuff. How's you??? Best PM me instead of hijacking this thread about dodgy knees of the original poster. ;o) ;o) ;o)

*pearly* x
Hey, I've only got one dodgy knee!!, don't encourage the plural, not till I get there anyway !!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Have your arthroscopy. The ozzies wont care. It's not like u r contagious. Hopping into the docs office for your medicals also wont be an issue.

As others have said, just ensure that all of your paperwork correlates. GL!

Will do - and with your user name, that'll do me (assuming it has some relevance!!)

Cheers
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Will do - and with your user name, that'll do me (assuming it has some relevance!!)

Cheers

LOL - 4th yr medical student, not a doc, but been around the system long enough now.