Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which medical insurance is best?

Which medical insurance is best?

Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Which medical insurance is best?

Sorry to ask a question that no doubt has been asked a thousand times before, but my seach function does not seem to be working?

We are on a PR visa and have a year to join a private medical insurance before the LUH loading kicks in (and I am in my 40's and husband in late 50's, so it will be a significant difference in premium).

Can anyone advice which medical scheme is the best? Price : value relationship....

THANKS!
Nix
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which medical insurance is best?

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Sorry to ask a question that no doubt has been asked a thousand times before, but my seach function does not seem to be working?

We are on a PR visa and have a year to join a private medical insurance before the LUH loading kicks in (and I am in my 40's and husband in late 50's, so it will be a significant difference in premium).

Can anyone advice which medical scheme is the best? Price : value relationship....

THANKS!
Nix
Sorry I can't help with the best one, but, just to make sure, you do know you don't have to join at all don't you? You could just consider getting dental cover and forget the rest, specially if you live in a large city.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Fish.01 I have thought of not joinging at all.......and we have been here 7 months and have not joined in that time.
BUT.....
If you join within the first year of arriving, you save the LUH loading which is 2% per year after 30.....and I am 41 and my husband almost 58. So, that loading will be significant, meaning that we will never really be able to join thereafter.
AND......
I have asked around and there seems to be a difference of opinion about whether you need it or not.... but the majority seems to be a yes......
SO.....
I am trying to find something "affordable" to "get in" .....

Make sense?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Fish.01 I have thought of not joinging at all.......and we have been here 7 months and have not joined in that time.
BUT.....
If you join within the first year of arriving, you save the LUH loading which is 2% per year after 30.....and I am 41 and my husband almost 58. So, that loading will be significant, meaning that we will never really be able to join thereafter.
AND......
I have asked around and there seems to be a difference of opinion about whether you need it or not.... but the majority seems to be a yes......
SO.....
I am trying to find something "affordable" to "get in" .....

Make sense?
Quite a few people join our of fear of the unknown, the loading and/or to avoid paying the medical levy surcharge if they earn over $150,000. This has bought the membership levels up to 50%. So if you removed the people doing it out of fear, avoiding the loading or avoiding the levy you would have a lot less than 50% who actually recommend it based on value.

A lot of people keep it in case they need to skip the elective surgery queue. But often, the public queue will be acceptable and where it isn't you can usually "buy your way in" as an "intermediate" patient (private patient in a public hospital) which is an option many people do not realise they have. For most this would still work out way cheaper than private insurance. For emergencies you are advised to use a public hospital anyway even if you have private insurance. For many a good dental plan is the only cost effective thing worth getting.

Just food for thought I guess.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Very very good food for thought indeed.....
I wish there was a RIGHT answer !!!! I feel a little pressurised I must admit. I know that we are all 100% healthy now.....but what about the future ? And I guess that is what private medicals play on.....
VERY good advice....now I just need to make a decision !